iPhone mentalBlock (physics puzzler) coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by glowdot, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glowdot

glowdot Well-Known Member

#1 glowdot, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    mentalBlock is a physics based puzzle game. 6 block types, 4 directional gravity, 45 levels at launch. PLUS a level designer built in (shown at 1:40 in the video).

Recently submitted to Apple, hopefully available soon.

Follow @stromdotcom on Twitter for release news.

2. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Very complex but cool looking. Good luck with the apple review process. :)

3. glowdot

The review process has gotten A LOT better lately. I still remember the days of 30-60 day waits....

4. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Yeah but there were some times when the review process was only 2 days. :( Now its seems to be about a week.

5. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    This game looks pretty badass, will you down port it to the ipod/phone?

6. glowdot

Someone pointed out to me that it would be foolish not to, so I probably will. Some of the better elements, in particular the level designer, won't work well on the smaller screen, so I was thinking of making a really simple version that just plays translated versions of the levels designed for the iPad version.

7. glowdot

Just sent a LITE version of mentalBlock off to Apple, which contains the first 15 levels, but no level editor. Trust me, the level editor is worth the price of admission alone.

8. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    Thank you very much for this, it is pretty frustrating how few developers take the little bit of time to create a trial version of their games. I'm much more likely to try something with a free trial than to spend money without a lot of reviews already posted.

Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm much more likely to take the time to post an actual review when a developer has a free trial available. The fact that a developer has enough confidence in their game and enough respect for their customers to post a free demo goes a long way toward earning my support in return.

9. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Cool, thanks for making a lite version. :)

10. glowdot

#10 glowdot, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
    To be fair to other developers, it can be hard to justify the expense and time required to make a demo version of something that only costs a buck or two, especially since it's so hard to recover your initial costs on the app store to begin with. Not that its a HUGE time requirement, but it does take a day or so.

But it seems like a no brainer to me. Besides, I'm so proud of mentalBlock -- it is hands down the best thing I've ever worked on -- and I can't imagine anyone trying the demo and not buying the full version, so it just makes sense :)

Also, to epedemix: I am, at the moment, working out the logistics of an iPhone/iPod version. It'll be a little scaled down (no level editor, maybe fewer levels depending on which ones work on the small screen, etc) but I'm trying to figure it out in a way that makes sense and keeps the game fun.