How do you like episodic games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kohjingyu, Aug 20, 2009.

1. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering, since there are more and more games with episodic updates, such as Pocket God, Harbor Master, etc, do you like these games with episodic updates? It's actually quite entertaining to get an update every week or every few weeks....

What do you think?

2. jt09

jt09 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Ya I like finding out when my game gets a new update with new levels and stuff, I then go and play that game again... but I don't like games like minigore which only have one level and I will have to wait for the fourth update till things get really entertaining.. I rather have games that come with updates be somewhat already developed like harbor master.

3. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I love episodic games..
    On one condition..
    The games need to be a complete experience to begin with.
    The updates should just be an added bonus.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #4 MidianGTX, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    I agree. Don't release a buggy or unfinished game and expect us to wait around while you fix it with updates. The game has to be enjoyable from the beginning, and also worth the asking price from the beginning.

Follow those rules and people will enjoy the episodic updates.

Oh also, the trick seems to be in how you promote the updates. Keeping them a secret creates very little hype, all the popular episodic games have blogs/twitter feeds and the like, giving people glimpses of what to expect. Taking ideas from the community is a great move too.

5. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    I love it!. With so many games in the App Store, it helps me remember some of them and keeps them interesting.

6. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Hmm, seems most people like it. I'll probably do an episodic update sort of thing for my next app. It is currently under development and would be announced soon in the "Upcoming Games" section! Stay tuned! :)

7. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    At this point, I don't know what to think. I've been more into free roaming games, Gameloft console type games, some online games, and basically one game of each genre, except a role play game or a line game. Episodic has never been a big deal for me yet. I'm considering Dexter... But that's about it.

In my opinion, Minigore doesn't really need more than one level to make it fun. It's a survival shooter. Having different backgrounds shouldn't even count as a level. I play it when I'm in the mood for shooting. And please, don't act like you know so much about minigore updates, that you know which one it will take to make it fun. So tell me, what's going to be fun about the fourth Minigore update?

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The co-op. I'm with you though, Minigore is fun already. I don't know why it is, because I'm not fond of other games in the same genre... it... just is.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What a beautiful poem. ;)

10. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I dont get that a lot.
    But I'm not sure why not.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Rhyming now!

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

No more rhyming now, I mean it!

13. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Anybody want a peanut?

14. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Me! Who doesn't love peanuts? Okay, back on topic: What kind of episodic updates would you like to see:New levels or maps?

15. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    new peanuts