New layout

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Rip73, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The new layout for the games section (both released and upcoming) is excellent.
    The joining of it all into one iPhone and iPad section, rather than the previous iPhone iPod section and further iPad section along with the further sub distinction in the thread of being universal or not is a great addition in my opinion
    Thanks a lot for that improvement.
    It has made things substantially quicker, more streamlined and much more convenient so genuinely well done.

2. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

I agree. Excellent change.

What's the protocol when there are an HD and non-HD version of the same game (i.e. Angry Birds and Angry Birds HD)? One thread for both games? Separate threads for each version?

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I must be an odd one out then, I dislike it and much prefer the old layout.
    It annoys me somewhat when sites I really enjoy using and use frequently, change their layout for the sake of it.. It was fine :(

4. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Im with you, I hate the new layout. I don't see the point or practical use of having ipad only games in an iphone forum. As someone who owns both I prefer two different forums.

5. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Yes it makes it cluttered and makes it harder to find what you need.. Crazy choice :rolleyes:

6. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah and iPad only games are just going to get buried under all the iPhone games. I don't care for the merger. If TA wants to merge iPad and iPhone game forums then they need to upgrade their search engine as any search word that is shorter than four characters will not register a result.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

8. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    The vast majority of games are Universal.

iPad games won't get buried by "iPhone" games, since there aren't that many iPhone-only games. They might get buried by Universal games, but Universal games are iPad games.

Am I missing a scenario?

There is a way see only iPhone or iPad prefixed games:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2&prefixid=iPhone
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2&prefixid=iPad

We can link that more prominently somewhere.

arn

9. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks for the info Eli and Arn, it might be nice if there was another prefix for iPad only and iPhone only games. Other wise they will get buried under the universal games. Also any chance that the TA search engine is going to get upgraded anytime soon? It really is the weakest part of this site.

10. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I'm still confused. We have those prefixes:

Universal - Both iPhone and iPad
    iPhone - iPhone only
    iPad - iPad only

11. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #11 ojtitus, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Currently if you select the iPad only option it still brings up all the universal games and still some iPhone games. I am asking for it to only bring up iPad only games when I use the iPad prefix, not iPad only and universal as it is currently.

Attached Files:

12. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Are you using the right link?

http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2&prefixid=iPad

Separately, why don't you want to see Universal ones?

arn

13. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I was using the right link but was not hitting the show threads button like an idiot.:rolleyes:
    I don't want to see universal ones because there are lots of iPad only games that are board game apps like Quarriors and Suburbia that I am not familiar with ahead of time and might miss if I had to sort through 10 to 20 pages of threads to find during the Wednesday and Thursday release flood.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but is there any chance the TA search engine is going to get an update so we can search one and two letter words.

14. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Anything in particular you are trying to search for?

arn

15. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Not right now but I do enjoying searching and I always end up doing it on the AppStore, then the google with TA trick but I would really just like to be able todo all my searching here. I really like RPG's and when I want to do a generic large capture search I will simply search rpg but that doesn't work here on TA.

Anyway, I've taken up enough of your valuable time. Thanks for all your hard work behind the scenes and for taking the time to help me out. Have a good one arn!

16. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I wonder what was wrong with the old layout that warranted a change?

I still think it's stupid to dump ipad and iPod/iPhone games together, would it really hurt to keep them separate? Now ipad only games are going to be instantly swamped by the flappy and other mediocre clones that flood the forum.

I know my opinion doesn't matter but still, I think it was a mistake merging them. :mad:

17. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #17 Jorlen, Feb 12, 2014
    Did the user review section get deleted in this shuffle?

If so, that's a shame.

Otherwise, I like the changes and I think it streamlines the apps very nicely.

18. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #18 soup, Feb 12, 2014
    hate the change
    agree ipad stuff will just vanish (even if you can search for it)
    also when just browsing, you think interesting game, and then notice oh only iphone or ipad

why ?
    what was the problem having them seperate ?

- dont mind the upcoming thread being merged.
    But for releases, i think its horrible

19. Grudunza

Grudunza Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    #19 Grudunza, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    iPad/iPhone combined forum?

Was there a discussion at some point about combining the iPad/iPhone forums? I don't really like that at all, because I'm more interested in iPad games. It was much easier to check out stuff of interest when it was narrowed down. Now, you have to wade through pages of posts about little junky apps to find the meatier things of interest for iPad. Big step backward for this site, IMO.

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    There was - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=160532

You can still sort the forum by just iPad games. Use this link for strictly iPad only threads: http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2&prefixid=iPad

Or this link will give you Universal games, which are also iPad games: http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2&prefixid=universal