The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (by Nintendo)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RHess00, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I am close to saying its worth it for Zelda alone....

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Finished this game a few days ago, took me about 60 hours. Might go back and do some more of the side stuff.

3. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm over 40 hours in and I've only defeated 2 Divine Beasts so far. I keep getting distracted by all the side quests.

4. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Good to know since I literally got the Switch after seeing Zelda as it reminded me of when I was young and played the original Zelda for the first time!!!

5. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Ok so I finished up 2 sets now the Zora one and the Climbers one! Pretty stoked.

6. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Sad to admit that I still have gotten a chance to play BOTW yet! I at least put the cartridge in the Switch... I could have imaged for five minutes but I really hope to have at least a solid hour to play! Maybe tomorrow.

7. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Did you leave your friend code anywhere yet?

8. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Ill need to find my friend code...? Where is it located? I'm also actually going to play Zelda for the first time today! Geez... I've had it since Sunday and have been swamped with work. I've been addicted to reading forums and articles online which are endless.

I actually like reading about how the openworld of this game is so much better than others based on the ability to do anything with few limitations. So cool!

How long have y'all played and does the game keep track of your length of time playing and stuff you accomplish?

Do you also play with the pro or basic detail? I'm not sure if that is what they call it but I heard the pro has only hearts and the normal has more detail include map?

9. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Friend code is under your profile and friends somewhere. The game keeps track kind of, you have to play for 7 days or so then it will say you played for 25 hours or something. Pro or basic detail? Not sure whatever it comes set as is what I left it.

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I was at around the same time when I had defeated 2 Divine Beasts, took me 20 more hours to beat the rest. With some side quests in there too of course.

I just didn't want to leave Princess Zelda waiting any longer :p

11. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Geez... this game is amazing! I'm glad I bought a switch for this game!!!

I only played about 30 mins but it was probably the most fun I've had in any game for a long long time.

Spoiler

I initially thought what I saw from the beginning when looking around in a full 360 was the entire world... but after seeing a map i'm thinking I'm wrong and the world isn't visible from my initial view coming out of the shrine of ressurection????

I saw an online map to see if I could get a sense of how far I went in my first 30-45 mins and o went from the shrine of ressurection to the temple of time so I guess I haven't gone that far at all...?

I am so loving this game and wonder if this game could keep me busy for the next year since I likely only get to play about an hour a day based on work on life!

12. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Is the first "dungeon" the first titan? I beat that too yesterday, but if that is a "dungeon" I feel kinda cheated. Sure I know Zelda dungeons have never been typical RPG dungeons but that just felt like 5 shrines glued together. Also I found that the mechanic to solve the puzzles were badly communicated. Glad I used a guide.

It did feel kinda epic, yeah although the boss was astonishingly easy - luckily, as I am old and have rather lousy fighting skills.

World is huge and even if the game is fun it feels empty often. I don't think it is fun running an hour to get to the next mission target. Sometimes they offer diversion on the way, sometimes not. Beyond "Oh, the world is so amazingly huge" I haven't seen the need for it yet, as POIs aren't enough to fill the land meaninfully.

Difficulty is all over the place. Fighting often is very easy but then you are just being killed with one hit often not even seeing your enemy...not that fun.

So the game goes from times where I think of selling it because it feels like a chore to awe inspiring moments Zelda sure is known for. What bugs me most is that with all new additions the design is still as formulaic as ever. The puzzles are often clever but based on a rather small set of mechanics and so kinda repetitive as is the design of the shrines. So the number of really unique places to explore is rather small.

I am spoiled by games like Witcher for sure and while I know Zelda is more interesting on the gameplay/challenge side, for me it is too much puzzle/experimentation sandbox and not enough RPG.

13. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I think I am going to start working on getting the beserker armor set next!

14. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yes, I was referring to the first Devine Beast and I thought the the puzzles were great. I haven't used a guide yet and it took me close to 2 hours to complete but once I figured each puzzle out it was very gratifying. I do agree with you that it was similar to the shrines just on a much larger scale.

I have to disagree that the world feels empty though. I always end up getting distracted with something on the way to my next objective. Whether it's a korok seed(there are 900 of them!), a random shrine(120 of those!), colorful NPC characters, horses to chase down, or just the draw dropping beauty of the environment. There are also some unique and curious things that I have stumbled across. For instance
    I recently saw a pillar of light coming out of a mountain. I made my way there and found a white spirit horse standing in a small pond surrounded buy spirit rabbits. I tried to sneak up on it to jump on but it ran away and dissapeared. I've been checking that spot now and again but haven't seen it since.

I haven't played Witcher so I can't compare but I'm about 50 hours in and I have few complaints so far. I do wish the enemies were more varied and the puzzles that involve motion controls can be very frustrating and I also agree that the bosses could be a little more challenging.

I will say that I know this game isn't for everyone but for me personally, it's one of those games that I can't get enough of.

15. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Anyway to find out what the update did?

16. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I read that the update improves the frame rate..?

17. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Ohhhhh.

18. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I ended Sent from my iPhone putting in about 3.5 hours so far and am loving it. I'm still in the "tutorial section" although I haven't followed the "voice" yet as I've been waaaaay to distracted exploring. This area seems so big but it appears that it is quite small compared to the full game...?

19. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    The first two boss battles weren't too bad but my third major boss battle was brutal. Took me about 15 tries and nearly all of my food. I see a long cooking session in my near future.

20. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Logged another hour today! Sad as I wish I could play more but dfubally up to about 3.5 hours since last Friday!

I'm still exploring the great plateau and haven't done any of the required tutorial quests yet... I read that the great plateau is only about 2% of the actual BOTW world and after completing the tutorial tha world truly opens up even more...!