Freemium model advice

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by squidgyjelly, Apr 3, 2013.

1. squidgyjelly

squidgyjelly Active Member

Apr 1, 2013
    kitchen
    I am wondering if I have done this upcoming game right?

I have a lite game with ads but to enhance it, people have buy a maximum of 6 inapp purchases.

Does this model work well?

2. rickermortes

rickermortes Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Game developer.
    Minnesota
    I can't find the article I read, but an obscene amount of money is being spent on in-app purchases. I thought it was 50-60% or something.

Facts alone would say you're probably on the winning team.

I won't do it, but from what I gather, it's the best way to make money with the AppStore.

3. Apptopia

Apptopia Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    IAP all the way

Depending on your app, IAP should be part of your monetization strategy. From January 2012-November 2012, IAP as a percentage of total app revenue on the App store increased from ~50% to 70%, and total IAP revenues are up 96% over the same period. Be careful about being too aggressive with promoting IAP too early on though. I don't know your game, but 6 purchases sounds like a lot? You need to sell the user on the app before you sell them on anything else- IAP only monetizes the users you engage and hold on to.

4. squidgyjelly

Apr 1, 2013
    kitchen
    Good

OK many thanks sounds like the right road

5. willbrace

willbrace Member

Dec 12, 2012
    To be fair, the main players who spend a ton on IAP usually have the following mindset:

"I really love this game. If I'm playing it so much, I might as well spend a lot of money on it to get an advantage or to support the creators."

Competition styled events often drive players to spend more money on things, pending on the type of person playing, and also the desire to grind less and progress faster also encourages people. Additionally, people who really enjoy the game will also buy IAP for optional visual upgrades.

6. Com2us|TaoFTW

Com2us|TaoFTW Active Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Game Community Manager
    Menlo Park
    What everyone said on this thread is nailing everything important about IAP. My two cents is to -always- observe your competitor's IAP model, learn from them, and do it better. Come up with a hundred different kinds of monetization strategies and think about how each one will affect your users.

Let me know how you do. Good luck! :)

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Just don't put all one hundred into the same app, otherwise you lose a part of your soul.

8. Com2us|TaoFTW

Com2us|TaoFTW Active Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Game Community Manager
    Menlo Park
    ^This x100

9. squidgyjelly

Apr 1, 2013
    kitchen
    Game name

Is sexy allowed in a game name as I just had a warning of not recommended when testing
    Not registered yet but all artwork etc and months of work is depression if game name not accepted

10. mibsmeep

mibsmeep Active Member

May 16, 2011
    You shouldn't. I try to avoid freemium always and I am sure a lot of other people think just like me.
    A better name for it is pay to cheat giving money takes no effort where as working for your in game rewards/levels/items makes playing the game fun.
    I would rather pay 99c for a game then have it pester me for 99c every 5min.

11. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    There are lots of games with sexy in the title but all these questions are hard to answer without a few more details of the game.