iPhone Titan VG Edition - (Valley Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by the9quad, Dec 22, 2011.

1. AlteaineDranix

AlteaineDranix Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I just have to say, I'm really impressed with Valley Game's customer service. Although they aren't active here in TA, I sent an e-mail detailing some concerns regarding the UI and they responded very promptly. They're apparently polishing the UI in the next update so things aren't so tiny and editing the manual so it isn't directly lifted from the tabletop version. Here's to hoping they add proper async multiplayer soon.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    So Titan dropped to 4.99 and got an update fixing the UI and added a tutorial video.

Anyone with the update want to give impressions for us? I've had it on my wish list but was hesitant due to the higher price point and lack of a proper tutorial for new comers

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Has the AI been worked on yet? I initially heard it tended to be a bit suicidal with its titans.

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I've had this on my Appshopper for a while now and noticed the price drop. As a fan of strategy board games (especially for iPad) can anyone recommend this at its current sales price? Also, is there any strategy board game for iOS that you compare this to and/or a brief synopsis of the game? Thank you. :)

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I highly recommend you read reviews/etc on the Titan BGG page and see if you'd enjoy playing the game.

It's an amazing game, I can't think of anything quite like it on iOS except perhaps Archon (sucks on iOS, BTW) which plays like chess until you get into battle, then it's an action game. It even has elements (light/dark) on the board that affect gameplay, and has "you" (the wizard) who can cast spells and conjure things.

Titan is like this only fully turn-based strategic. You are on the board (your titan) and if that piece is lost you are out of the game. The two main parts of the game are moving about the world vying for good attack positions and mustering creatures for your army and moving into close tactical combat when two armies meet. It's a very serious game with only one flaw IMHO in that it's a lengthy 'elimination' game where you strive to be the last player alive, which sucks if you get eliminated 4 hours before the game ends. Having an electronic copy mitigates that quite a bit.

The only reason I didn't shell out for this on day one is because I don't have full access to an iPad - ours is usually in use by our daughter playing jigsaw puzzles, flipping through books or watching My Little Pony. :eek:

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    drelbs Thank you, sounds like I'll love it! ;)

7. hsthompson

hsthompson Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Bought. Learning curve is steep, but not impossible. Sometimes a bit odd to figure out where/how many taps needed to close dialog boxes, but otherwise, a fairly smooth presentation. Deep strategy at this point is still beyond my reckoning, but at least now I've got an idea as to how much damage units can take :)

8. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    I am a sucker for all things board games, but I have to admit this app looks and sounds very intimidating. I am tempted to get it at its current price point and take a leap of faith. I'm very curious to hear impressions on the new tutorial system and whether it fully explains the game concepts and strategies to new players.

9. hsthompson

hsthompson Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Never saw the old system, but the new tutorial system definitely gets you going on the basics of *how* to move things around. As for strategies, like using terrain to your advantage, or understanding when to split, or even where you should be moving, I'm pretty much completely lost at this point. The one-star AI is usually dumb enough to blow away in tactical mode if you've got it outnumbered, but I'm not yet clued in on what kind of mix of units you should have, or what the best way to muster more advanced units is, or even when I *shouldn't* use my move allowance.

I'm assuming there's probably room out there for a decent strat guide (from high level overview to detailed tactics), but I haven't googled for it yet.

All in all, worth jumping in on for me at this price. $8 was a bit too rich for my blood and skill level, but $5 seems fair. We'll see, of course, how much love this gets from the dev for the bits that could use polishing, but so far, it seems like the dev has been responsive and eager to improve.

10. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    I just wanted to say, with the update, all of the additional information is really helping me to understand what's going on. I finally feel like I'm beginning to understand the game!

Thank you to the developer for putting in the time to expose that information!

11. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

12. AlteaineDranix

AlteaineDranix Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I am so happy with this new update. It fixed whatever minor gripes I had with the UI and the instruction manual. I still haven't really delved into exploiting terrain effects, but I do have the other game mechanics straightened out.

For those wondering, the AI still does seem to be a bit feckless with its Titans, but I've only played with the one and two-star AIs. What often happens is that around two of them are eliminated relatively early on, leaving the remaining players to battle it out.

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The 2.0 "Hydra" update has been submitted, which includes... online async with chat!

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Any mention of stat tracking!? :rolleyes:

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Nice.

16. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Yes! Sorta... they have local ELO.

17. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Wow, huge update. Now I'm going to have to get serious and tackle learning this beast of a game lol.

18. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    LOL! This was my exact response too! I bet we are not alone too ;)

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Cool, so the AI personalities have ELO's or is that only for human players? As long as I can have ELO like stuff in games vs. AI I'm SUPER SOLD! :D

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It has always intrigued me but I've never been sure if it is really deep or needlessly complicated.