iOS & Android overtake Sony and Nintendo in portable market in 2011 (gaming revenue).

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Nov 9, 2011.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

http://blog.flurry.com/bid/77424/Is-it-Game-Over-for-Nintendo-DS-and-Sony-PSP

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its great news how popular iOS gaming is. It would make sense for Nintendo and others to release their games on other formats to make a lot of money (Specially when Nintendo appear to be struggling).

But either way as iOS is so popular with games it should mean more and more coming our way

3. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Not surprising considering the number of iOS devices and the ease of use of the app store

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Won't last for very long unless they update the touch, at the minute the only competition is the 3DS which got pretty much hammered in the media (at least in the UK).

Vita on the other hand has a massive amount of interest including myself, I've spent a ton on ipod games myself but I'm probably not buying many more of them unless I know it's going to get an update and I'm already budgeting my money for vita titles.

5. KiwiGummy

KiwiGummy Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Amazing charts. It's hard to imagine a company losing so much market share so quickly. I think the good thing is that with all the success of the iOS stuff, it makes it much more likely that Apple will focus more on innovating in the games sector. Maybe an Apple gaming console in the future? A device with gaming, internet, and media streaming all integrated together and running iOS makes sense, and it's a nice uncharted area for Apple to expand into. If they do it right they can take MS and Sony by surprise like they've done to Nintendo.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To me its the quality of the games but also the price. I couldnt believe when i 'discovered' iOS how cheap the games were. At those prices people dont need to copy (I know some still do) but you can 'gamble' and buy lots of games even if you might get a dud.

It shows that if you release a game for the PSP at $25-30 you might not get huge sales, release a quality game for $2.99 or $3.99 on iOS and you'll get so many more sales. By keeping prices low people are flocking to iOS

7. chase123

chase123 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Pakistan,Karachi.
    It will be too expensive though with all those things.

8. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hmmmm. interesting

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    LOL, now I understand what this Nintendo Big Boss meant when he said that "the iPhone is the enemy of the future".

10. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Haha. Remember when the CEO of Nintendo claimed about a year ago that he didn't see iOS devices as a threat? My, how the tables have turned.

Of course he somewhat retrackted on that statement when he later claimed that iOS devices were the enemy of the future, but I will never forget his original statement.

11. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I wonder if it'll change at all when the library of great 3DS games come, as well as the Vita launch.

It's still surreal that mobile game has come this far.

12. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    lol i hope you guys know this is from a month ago, and some junior member bumped it for post count :D

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you ask me it's more about the price than the quality. I've wasted far, far more money on iOS games than... well, just about anything else in my entire life really. If you've got a spare $60 you might not rush out and buy a console game, but if you've got a spare $1 you won't think twice about snapping up an iOS game that manages to catch your eye for a second. There are other aspects too, such as availability and the fact it's combined with a phone (I mean come on, duh), but price has got to be a huge part of it.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    No doubt. What's more is that even if the game turned out to be crap, which is incredibly often, you don't feel the slightest regret because it cost such a meager sum in the first place.