iPhone Lightning Fighter 2 is coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nazokuma, Jul 22, 2013.

1. nazokuma

nazokuma Member

May 27, 2013
    Hi,

I'm the developer of Lightning Fighter 2 and on behalf of Uwan studio I'm sincerely happy to announce that our latest game: Lightning Fighter 2 is coming SOON™. No seriously, very soon. :)

The new Lightning Fighter 2 keeps the good ol' classic arcade shooter gameplay but also has new ideas and elements. While the graphics have been upgraded greatly, HD and supporting iPad retina display, they are not the only thing improved in Lightning Fighter 2. The game will be more exciting with whole new attack/bullet patterns never seen in any other shooter games in this genre and your super fighter will be more powerful. Lightning Lighter 2 also brings new elements like equipment system and fighters to build. Collect resources and build a super fighter army along your challenge!

Here are some of the gameplay screenshots, a video trailer is coming in a few days! :)

Feel free to ask any questions! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Awesome! I've been waiting a long time for this :D

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Whoa! Happy days :)

4. nazokuma

nazokuma Member

May 27, 2013
  5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hmmm freemium style dual currency system? A little disappointing if I'm correct but certainly not unexpected. I just don think that model is particularly well suited to shmups, but I'll certainly still give this a go when it comes out.

6. nazokuma

nazokuma Member

May 27, 2013
    #6 nazokuma, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    Fighters and equipments use the currency you collect from destroyed enemies, so there's no pay-to-win only real-money item. The real-money currency is mostly used like the old day arcade, if you die too many times you can choose to forfeit or throw in some tokens to continue.

That's the short answer.

To be honest(I'm not even sure I should be so "HONEST"), we sometimes have different perspectives toward things among our team. Some of us like Clash of Clans, some, like me, like Dark Souls. We have to negotiate and sometimes vote. A system like this is a tough decision, and while I'm not totally agree with it, I tried to keep the baseline that anything related to fighter strength should not be limited to real-money currency only.

There are other few reasons I'd accept this system. One is because its a first try of a bigger picture. While I did try to make the gameplay better as a shmups, I'm looking into building a game more than a shmups, with some RPG and SLG elements in it. Instead of a linear stage by stage gameplay, I wanted to make it like you fight the aliens, collect their cores and energy and build your own army with them back against the alien. Many of this design didn't come true due to several reasons, and I'm not sure if a hardcore shmups fan can accept this model(It would be awesome if you can tell me what you think). This part is indeed a little bit risky.

The other big reason is the goals/rewards. Its not really that fun if we just throw in a bunch of fighters for you to choose with a fix set of equipment. Instead, I want to make the player to manage how much resource I want to throw into the equipment, and to know you're using resource when using them, not just free boom boom every game. And the same resource is shared to gain stronger fighters in the game, so you do have to manage them: boom boom all the way or save for better. While real shmup fans may aim for the scores(challenge), a lot of players seek more solid, strength-rewarding goals, and that are the stronger fighters. Some fighters are cheap, a few runs in low ranks and you get them, some are long term goals. One of the reason for stronger fighters is also for the less experienced players to get something by practicing the game, and get something to help them to win the game easier. The other thing is rewards. I want to make the player gain something solid everytime he/she plays the game, win or lose. Even you if you fail to get higher score or challenge the stage, hey, you still got something, and you still one step closer to the ultimate fighter, winning or not. So the currency design is not really trying to force you to pay, but actually trying to reward you playing the game in a solid way. Back in Lightning Fighter 1 there's no way to get other fighters cept for paying. Now, even you don't pay, you can still get them all.
    Playing > Paying!

I'm not sure if this reply can relieve your concern, but I hope so.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks for the honest and detailed response.

8. nazokuma

nazokuma Member

May 27, 2013
    Oh god I can't believe I forgot to mention this! My mind was filled with the explanation of the currency system.

We do have an arcade mode that has none of these currency stuff in case some people prefer original lightning fighter 1 system.

Less options though, and harder, but same old lightning fighter.

How can I forget this!

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    That is excellent news. I definitely look forward to playing this :)

10. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I might've missed this somehow, but it the game itself a paid or freemium app? Really looking forward to this one!

11. nazokuma

nazokuma Member

May 27, 2013
    Unfortunately, it's a paid game. Unfortunately, it has IAP as well.

But before yelling #$%&# money grabber..

You can achieve everything in this game with skill and dedication, but you can't pay 2 win in a bullet hell. It's still playing > paying.

There's also an IAP-free mode(I call it arcade mode) as well, but it's more challenging with the limits(maybe it's a good thing for some people). I did all 3 ranks with my Lightning, good time. :)

12. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Cool. I enjoyed your first game. The two things I thought needed improvement were sharpness of the graphics, and maneuverability of the ship. Looks like you've done both. If I enjoy it, I'll get the android version as well. It's not actually retina quality graphics is it?

Waiting impatiently.

13. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Hi I got the game and enjoy it but agree its like an HD version of the first game. Just got the 2nd ship and the laser is too twitchy. I'd suggest you make it like the blue laser in raiden 4. It should lag slowly a little as you move horizontally.

14. liteking

liteking Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Indie Game Developer
    So this is a pay-mium game?
    Anyway if it's good I'll pay for it.
    The screenshots look gorgeous, I'll wait for other people to put out some reviews first