Universal Card Crawl

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Tinytouchtales, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    #1 Tinytouchtales, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Hello!

Card Crawl will be available on the App Store March 12th, 2015!

Card Crawl is a Dungeon Crawler build around a modified deck of standard cards. The basic idea of the game is to clear the Dungeon (a fixed deck of 54 cards) without dying and as much gold as possible. The gameplay evolves around managing your limited inventory and health, by using equipment and special cards. Monsters and equipment cards are fixed, but each play trough you can use 5 special ability cards that can be choosen by the player (mini deck bulding). Different special cards can be unlocked by spending the collected gold.

This time we joined forces with Mexer who is responsible for the art.

Feel free to signup to our newsletter and get informed about the release here http://www.cardcrawl.com

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks cool, really like the art.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Looks great! I'd instabuy that. :)

Is there a release date?

4. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey, we have no exact release date yet, but it guess it will be late january. We want to avoid releasing around the christmas madness.

5. magicfreak

magicfreak Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Research /GamingSoon @AppAdvice.com
    looks cool...waiting for release...

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Need any testers? That looks seriously cool, btw.

7. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    thanks, we actually want to start a little beta soon. you and anyone else who would be interested in testing should send me an email to [email protected] so i can send you details.

8. uFinKnow

uFinKnow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    If your still looking for testers send me a PM with the info here. Game looks great. Cheers

9. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Right now we are mainly polishing stuff related to the actual gameplay. We've just added a custom Blackletter font.

[​IMG]

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I just saw the article about this game at Pocket Tactics, so I looked for this thread. I love the art and the style and theme of the game looks very appealing. Looking forward to playing it...

11. Gafferman

Gafferman Active Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Wow, this looks super interesting!

12. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey there,

we are working on a lot of small things right now. We try to push hard to start the beta in early January. For those of you who haven't been there yet we also have a small tumblr where we post some updates. You can find it here www.cardcrawl.com. Additionally we have a proper twitter at www.twitter.com/cardcrawl now which you should follow ;). We recently published some more abilitiy card designs which i will cross post here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best
    Arnold!

13. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Card games are so hot right now... And I'm excited about that!

14. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Hallo, wie geht's? I wasn't sure about this game, but now I see the art and I'm definitely leaning toward getting this!

15. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks, i'm sure that the game design and gameplay will also satisfy you.

16. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

I watched the video and feel like I have a pretty good sense of the gameplay -- really neat concept.

• o Are there more dungeons/monsters to fight (besides the orc/ogre dude), or is the enemy deck always the same?
    • o Is there a campaign of sorts (with levels to progress through), or is the primary goal of the game to achieve the highest score?

17. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    #17 Tinytouchtales, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    hey slothwerks,

the concept is that you always face the same basic dungeon deck. Item cards are sword, shield, potion and coin. Then monster cards 2-10 and the 5 ability cards. These make up the dungeon deck of 54 cards. Besides the 5 ability cards everything is fixed and just shuffled each game. Goal of the game is to survive the dungeon deck and also collect as much gold as possible trough efficient play, selling of item cards and also using certain ability cards. Gold collected represents the highscore.

The whole experiences evolves around a solitaire like gameplay where the randomness of the appearance of cards creates the challenge.

The game will have two modes "normal" where your five ability cards are picked random from your collection of unlocked cards and a "constructed" mode where you can pick any combination of 5 ability cards from your collection.

Here's an early logo concept from Mexer:

[​IMG]

18. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Do you plan on releasing more cards in the future? Will there be multiplayer in the future? Thank you again for your time!

19. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey Woodrith no problem ;),

to answer your multiplayer question: no. As i said it's a single player solitaire like experience where you are playing against the system itself.

Right now we have 20 ability cards each with a unique ability. If all goes well i would love to design more ability cards for sure. I could even imagine a community based thing where we could crowdsource ideas for new ability cards.
    But for now we will stick to the base of 20.

20. zalmah

zalmah Active Member

Nov 6, 2014
    #20 zalmah, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    I had the opportunity to play Arnold's new game at an indie gathering in Berlin on Wednesday, and it really owns.

Not only is the art outstanding, but the gameplay instantly sucks you in. I played for around 10 minutes and felt like I only scratched the surface on the strategies. Really looking forward to seeing the project develop over the coming months!