Apple store lies about app file size?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JavierDavalos, Jun 14, 2009.

1. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Hey guys.

I worked really hard to pack everything in less than 10 megabytes on Quantum Collapse. In the end the zip file i sent was 9.6 MB.

Today my game got accepted, and apple store is saying the game is 10.1 MB

Why are they lying like this?. I hate AT&T and their bullshit, can't believe apple is an accomplice though.

2. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Was the zip file compressed?

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    It's probably because zip files are compressed. The one they put in the app store is probably only the app.

4. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Apple adds some copy protection and anti piracy stuff before it gets put on the app store. I think this happened with Peggle too; they cut out all the music from the initial version to get under 10MB, but the extra stuff apple put in still made it over 10MB (and they got bashed for not having music!)

5. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    the antipiracy stuff sadly isn't working

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

They're not "lying"; the file that people download on the store isn't the same zip file that you upload. Apple adds DRM and re-compresses it, probably using lesser compression since the iPhone's CPU isn't nearly as fast as a desktop computer. Realmaze3D is 17.8MB on the store, but the zip file was only 12MB or so.

--Eric

7. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    Ummmm interesting.

I'm going to have to shrink the game even more for the next update. AND i'm supposed to add skirmish to it lol

8. Eric5h5

I wouldn't worry too much about the 10MB limit. Maybe you get a few extra sales, but being over 10MB doesn't stop people buying it if they want it. Peggle is #1 right now. ;) Half of the top 10 games are over over 10MB....

--Eric

9. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah don't worry about it, they will probably end up downloading the game over wifi anyways.

10. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    I know, its just that it was so much work trying to get it under 10 mb and all for nothing that's all that frustrates me.

11. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Why does it really matter?
    Seriously, you guys forget that Apple can do whatever they want really. If you don't like it they can just kick you out. Not trying to say Devs need to shutup or anything so don't take me wrong.
    Also, why is it that bad to be over 10MB?? I can understand the want to have atleast a small file size but really I'd say anything under 30MB is pretty small.

12. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    In the united states, you can't download anything off of the app store on cell phone internet if its over 10 megabytes.

13. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I still don't understand why devs waste time and cut corners on their game to get their app under 10 mb. Just because somebody can't dl it while driving doesn't mean they won't wait til their in a WiFi zone or at their computer. I never once forgot about downloading a game just because I don't have wifi. I just dl it later.

14. Eric5h5

Also, it doesn't affect iPod touch owners at all. I would say that if the app size is borderline and it's just a little optimization that would get it under 10MB, then go for it, but otherwise it's not worth it, especially if it means leaving out or significantly degrading content.

--Eric

15. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Because being able to d/l an app instantly is great for impulse buying. Not everyone will remember to buy the app by the time they get home, and they might not buy the app at all. You don't want impulse buyers thinking too much; who would buy all the fart apps if the customers thought about it for more than 2 seconds? Of course, for larger, more well known projects, they probably shouldn't be cutting too many corners..

16. conrem

conrem Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    developer + student at medicine
    Moldova
    r u a dev and u ask us such questions??????