Upgrade Ipod Touch to OS 3.0?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jibba, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I couldn't figure out which forum to post this in. To those that have the Ipod Touch, did you spend the $10 to upgrade to OS 3.0? I don't see a huge need to buy it, but I'm starting to run into games here and there that require it, so I was wondering what other people have done. Thanks in advance.

2. AE_GLOOM

AE_GLOOM Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    LDN, You Kay
    Just get it for free off the internet

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

My dad payed for it! :D

4. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I'd definitely get it, ten dollars is a small price to pay to stay updated. Plus, updating is inevitable, because you're device will become more and more obsolete the longer you wait since you won't be able to play as many games. It's not urgent that you update now, 3.0 really doesn't bring anything amazing to the table, but staying up to date is important, especially with electonics.

And to whoever suggested downloading 3.0 free off the Internet, that's stealing, no questions asked.

5. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Who's giving it away? Link?

6. AE_GLOOM

AE_GLOOM Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    LDN, You Kay
    #6 AE_GLOOM, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    EDIT: removed as it is against forum rules

7. Jerson420

Jerson420 Active Member

Jul 2, 2009
    check ur inbox jibba

8. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
  9. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    I was furious when I saw the update was 10 bucks, but I got it anyway. I knew there would be some cool features and a lot of apps would eventually 3.0. Well, if you are interested in the update, go ahead and get it. Its nothin too special but, whatever.

10. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I received it from iTunes legally with out paying a cent.

11. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I totally think its worth it. $10 is not much to pay to get all the latest stuff - especially security updates (how long has it been since Apple updated 2.2.1), as well as some really useful features. Plus games/apps are more and more starting to adopt 3.0 features (and will do so more often) and some will likely even require 3.0. Eventually you'll have to update, unless you want to just play your older games!

Anyway the best thing about 3.0 for me is global spotlight search - I never have to leave the first home screen anymore. I just launch all my apps and games from there and can even look for contacts, music and so on. :D

12. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I haven't upgraded my 1st Gen Touch with 3.0 yet, and I am not in a hurry to do so. It has nothing to do with the $10; I am just concerned about the volume of posts on other forums from people who are saying that since they upgraded, their wifi reception is poor.
    That's a deal-breaker right there for me. If they release an update that addresses that issue, I would definitely upgrade asap. I have a pile of apps that require 3.0 to update, and I'd like to be able to update them...

13. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    It doesn't make your wifi reception poor, but makes the little indicator in the top left more accurate.

I could move 100 feet from my router on OS 2.x, and it still showed that it had full connection, but it ran noticeably slower. Now it correctly shows it at one bar when I'm far away.

14. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    How so?

15. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    dont encourage pirating on these forums :cool:

16. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    not sayin nutin as it is against forum rules

17. Maelick

Maelick Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Read Above
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    yeh upgrade, it didnt slow internet speed at all for me. Just when it says u got 2 bars it runs the same speed it would anyways, just letting you know more accurately how it receiving.

I dunno about you guys but i swear my battery lasts longer on my phone. The 2nd gen touch also seems to play games longer.

but yeh upgrade, i would assume that in the future the upgrade will be more of a requirement because of its capabilities in gaming.,

18. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

alot of people still havent updated to 3.0 all the devs have a list of what version there users are using.
    theres not much thats special with the update. No one has really adopted IAP. Afew have started to use push notifications.

19. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    What is 10 bucks when you have already spent so much more than that on apps?

20. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    actually, improved wi-fi is one of the features in 3.1