I Just Got the name "Bloons!" - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by simplymuzik3, Oct 17, 2009.

1. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #1 simplymuzik3, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    Hi everyone. We are currently making a new app and some of our name choices were already taken. We kept trying different names and then finally "Bloons!" (without the quotes) worked! Will we get into any trouble by using this name? Does Ninja Kiwi own the copyrights to the name? We just took their name "bloons" and added an "!" to the end of it. Are we allowed to do this? I just want to make sure so that we don't get into any trouble! Thanks!:D

2. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #2 HardcoreEricXXX, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    You should consult with a lawyer who specializes in TM, patents, and copyrights. I like to live by the rule, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. If I wasn't planning on the app being popular, I probably would take my chances. But if it did get popular, and Ninja decided to take legal action, capital (time and money) will be lost defending yourself, for counsel, compromising, marketing a new name, redesign, resubmission, etc

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Or come up with a name for your game that isn't a direct ripoff of another (very popular) game. ;)

It's going to look very very bad.

4. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Let me spare you a lot of trouble. Here's what's going to happen if you use that name:

1) Your app will either be immediately rejected, or

2) As soon as your app is up, someone will alert Digital Goldfish, who licensed the game and name from Ninja Kiwi

3) They will send you a scary cease and desist for violating their trademark and contact Apple

4) Apple will immediately remove your app

5) And you're back to square one.

There's really no need to get into legalities here, because I can guarantee you that the above will happen. But if you want legalities, here's a registered trademark for Bloons:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:5imd50.2.3

5. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    Agreed. I'm no dev but from a customer's point of view, I'd rather buy a game that doesn't sound exactly like another game, because unless I knew that you guys decided on that and weren't trying to copycat Bloons it'd look like you were major copycats.

What is the game about? Maybe we can help come up with names for you so you can avoid this.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What do you call Blinks? That game owns.

7. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    Bloons! wasn't the original name we had. We tried our first few options and they were all taken (even though we couldn't find anything with those names on the App Store). The game is a casual pick-up and play shooter. Not a FPS shooter but more of a game where its about reaction and getting the high score. If anyone has any name suggestions, we'd be happy to listen! Thanks for the comments so far!

8. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Why did this even cross your mind as a usable name??

9. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    Because when I went into iTunes Connect and added a new application, the name was available. Apple allows each app to have a different name, even if it's similar to an existing one. I realize the Ninja Kiwi probably has the trademarks for the name, which is why I am currently looking for another name (our other options were taken).

10. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Just curious, did you come up with the name and then discover it was being used, or did you already know about Bloons and felt it fit your game as a title?

11. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    We originally wanted nothing to do with "Bloons". We know the game and love it. But then after trying so many things with the word "Balloons" they were all taken. At the end we decided to just try Bloons! (we thought we had no chance), but when it said the name wasn't taken, we were all amazed! Now we have the name, but we don't really want to use it for our app because of possible trademarks.

12. ferb12321

ferb12321 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Loon' shootin'
    is that a good idea?

13. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

"Boomballoon"

14. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

Not a "possible", the name is trademarked for sure: Bloons at the US Patent and Trademark office

If the guys who own the name are nice, they'd file a DMCA takedown notice with Apple. If they're not, they'd wait 'till you'd made some money before they sued.

15. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    There are far better reasons not to use the name, e.g. not being total dicks :D

16. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

@Frank Lol, you said it brother!
    Have some ethics, just because you CAN is not a good reason in and of itself.

17. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    i wish everyone would stop talking about lawsuits and things because it is rare that anyone actually does sue anyone. filing a lawsuit costs money whether you win or lose, its usually a big waste of time and money. about the only people who actually threaten to file a lawsuit are the ones who have made a career out doing it and the most they do is threaten. the most they will do is send you a letter telling you to stop selling the app using the name then. they cant wait until you have made a little money because that would mean that they were not defending their trademark properly and that could result in them losing that trademark at the very least it would weaken their case. however if they send you that letter and you blatantly disregard it and continue to violate the trademark then they would have to take further action either sending more letters or maybe a lawsuit. this is also because of that same obligation to defend the trademark. i would say it is best not to use the name because it would most likely violate the trademark because the name "bloons!" is very likely to cause confusion among consumers which would force the developers of "bloons" to action. also it could cause bad sentiments with potential customers losing you sales

18. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    After spending all the time on the game why not spend a little more on an original name that you can be proud of.

19. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009

I don't think anybody really read the first post properly. We tried looking for other names but they were all taken. We don't plan on using the name, but we just thought we would check to see if it was even a possiblity as a last resort. We will not use the name for our app store release but we just wanted to see what everyone had to say about it :)

20. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    i would think of something else beside Bloons! i mean when someone looks at the name, they would clearly think its a new bloon game only to find they used ninjakiwi's name and get pissed off... try something else