Slope Rider, 3D snowboarding game, has been submitted to the App Store

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by monteboyd, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monteboyd

monteboyd Well-Known Member

#1 monteboyd, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    Slope Rider is now available in the App Store!

App Store link

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=9493

------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

I am the developer of Slope Rider, a 3D snowboarding game which I have just finished porting to iPhone/iPod Touch. I submitted the app to the App Store over the weekend and am now awaiting approval.

[hqyoutube]8aHYocLhb7E[/hqyoutube]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The game features:
    - 13 complete courses.
    - Two game modes – Alpine (timed race against the computer) and Freestyle (perform tricks for points).
    - Hundreds of possible trick combinations with grabs, turns, flips and rail slides.
    - Two playable characters with unique abilities.
    - Fast and smooth full 3D graphics.
    - Finely tuned accelerometer controls for movement with intuitive touch controls for acceleration and grab tricks.
    - Price: USD$2.99.

More screenshots and info can been found on the Slope Rider page.

Comments are very welcome!

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Wow that looks great! Great sense of speed, sway and tricks. The ambient noise is well done, although there's no music and the "Alrights" might get annoying.

Player characters look blocky in the video but animate well, while the environment is nice. And those two players, is that multiplayer?

Crazy Snowboard might have a competitor! Looking forward to this.

3. monteboyd

Hi arta, thanks for the feedback!

I am planning on doing future updates so music will probably appear later.
    The second player is computer controlled in Alpine (race) mode. There is no multiplayer at this stage but it could happen in an update if demand is high enough.

"Alright" is not the only sound effect for a successfuly trick in the game, it just appears a bit in the video. ;)

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Oh ok sure it will do well for the demand to warrant multiplayer. Oh yeah check your visitor messages.

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yep, I'm guessing the game will do well, I'm onboard. Can't wait.

6. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Looks like alot of fun. I have been waiting for a good snowboarding title to come out. Alpine Racer is so ugly I just can't take it! : )

7. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Crazy Snowboard has found it's competition!!!
    No music though?

8. monteboyd

No music as yet, no. But you can play iTunes in the background while playing.

9. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Haha, that's very nice! I beta tested this game years ago as it was ready for release on MacOS. My real name is even in the credits of the Mac version. :p
    Hope you can make some cash, Monte. :D

10. monteboyd

Thanks Capone! I updated the Mac OS X version in December last year. Your name would still be in the credits of that version!

11. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

Game looks super fun. Looks really easy to control and do tricks with.

BUT.......that guy yelling would make me throw my phone! "ALLRIGHT!" "COOL" *Smash

12. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Yeah. LMAO! +1

13. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Are you kidding me crazy snowboard has nothing on this game. The graphics seem way better. Plus there are actual trails and not some never ending slope. The amount of tricks offered in this game are better than those in crazy snowboard. No competition whatsoever. Definitely buying this app or hoping to recieve a promo for it. I would love to write a review for it.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #14 arta, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    Graphics do seem better, although Crazy Snowboard is supposed to get a graphics upgrade in the upcoming update. Numbers of tricks dwarves CS for sure but you seem to only be able to do on at a time (instead of up to 3 grabs in midair, linking Tony Hawk style).

Slope Rider does seem to give you more of a rush though, I'm getting it. Love those flips! How does the control scheme work anyway, to do those tricks? Would be interesting to see how both devs aim to update and improve their product - especially with EA's SSX coming later this year.

15. monteboyd

Hey guys. To answer some questions about the tricks and controls:

Yes, you can do multiple grabs, flips and turns in the air - you just need enough air! That's where you get hundreds of trick combos from. The levels Big Air and Super Pipe give you a chance to get some big trick combos. Then there's the rail slides as well.

In terms of trick controls - once airborne turning your device like a steering wheel gives you front and back turns, tilting it forward and back around its horizontal axis gives you front and back flips, and touching in different areas of the screen gives you different grabs.

I've got a few things planned for future updates but would also love to hear suggestions.

16. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Monte, that wouldn't happen to be your voice would it?

17. monteboyd

Haha, no it's not - I'm an Aussie actually so my accent would be different! The original version released for Mac in 2003 had my voice on it, but these are samples from soundsnap.com.

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #18 arta, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    Wow.

Well that pretty much made me smile. Seems to be packed with features!

As for future updates, music (ingame or our own) is definately on the list. Head to head and time trial multiplayer is another, perhaps with the Cloudcell youtube replays?

One thing I am wary about is the game horizon when turning corners/ spinning in midair. The game video is small so until I get the game in my hands I won't be able to tell but...
    You know in some early iphone games whenever you tilted the device the game tilts as well, disorienting you? Does tilting in this game move the whole game horizon or is it reasonably stablized? Does it disorient you?
    I remember your game is a PC port. In your honest opinion, can your game disorient like this on an iPhone, or is racing exhilarating while feeling in control?

19. This looks great! What about having things to collect on the course for bonuses, like Shawn White Snowboarding? Also, is there a way to turn off the voice? I didn't find it that annoying, but I would like an option to turn it off if I wanted. Might get a few funny looks on the train otherwise.

20. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Oh pity your voice isn't on there! :)

Great looking game