Apple security questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by bossepy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. bossepy

bossepy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Hi, there. When I try to update apps directly to my iPod touch, a message pop up which prompt me to answer some security questions. Unfortunately, I have forgotten them and these prevent me from downloading or updating apps directly to my device. Anyone experienced similar problems? :(

2. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    have you tried resetting your password?

3. bossepy

bossepy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Why should I reset my password? I remember my password but the message still asked me to answer those dumb security questions like 'who was my best childhood friend' and 'what is your least favourite among your previously owned car'. Anyway, thanks for your response. :eek:

4. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    perhaps this will help you.

5. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I just recently got asked to update my account with 3 answers (didn't have any before). And I've already forgotten what the questions were and the answers for that matter. :eek:

6. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    #6 Snozberry, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Yeah, this happened to me too.. a while ago..
    When I filled out the questions, I didn't think I'd ever need them.. I thought it was just some security precaution in case someone hacked my account.
    I had to msg apple ..they got back to me days later and had to confirm it was really me.
    I had to provide my date of birth, last 3 purchases, how much money I had in my account, etc.. I still couldn't pass it because I had made up a fake birthdate and address because it was a gift card foreign to my real country and I didn't know real street names or whatever so I made it up and because of that they refused to help me, unless I provided my license confirming my name, ehich again, I used a fake one...i thought i was doomed..i think they gave me a number to call to try to sort things out, but instead I ended up just racking my brains to trying to remember my answers.. I was pretty sure I knew what answers I had, but I forgot how I had spelt them. Ie favorite bad could be REM or R.e.m or system of a down could be SOAD or s.o.a.d etc many things can be spelt many ways..and the problem is, they ask 2 questions and if you have 1 question right and one wrong, it doesn't tell you which is which..so I tried all combinations of spelling and shortcode and finally got through, though I only knew 2 answers out of the 3 no idea what I put as the 3rd answer. I had actually spelt the name of my first workplace wrong when I filled out the form.. Luckily I caught on.. And luckily it was such a direct answer like "first job" so I knew exactly what to write.. It'd be hard with a question like 'favor color' cause that could be any color.. Especially if I put "eggshell white" or something stupid like that..but anyway, if you exit and re enter it asks you a diffferent question so try that to see of the other question is easier, if not contact apple but it'll take a few days for them to respond, especially being the weekend,hopefully you used proper information so you don't have my problems.. But if you didnt and they can't reset it like me, just brainstorm and try to think of what you could have written (ie the real answers that you have to those questions) ..likw what did annoy you about your car? etc.
    by the way from now on you really should only choose 1 word answers.. It's going to be a bitch to work out if they answer is something like "the radio is a bit crackly sometimes because of bad reception and it's hard to have sex in the backseat because the belt buckle digs into my anus". But good luck anyhow.. Hopefully apple will be ale to help you out if you really can't remember after trying various spelling.

7. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Yea same, fake address and probably birthdate too, cant remember. It's my US account with all the gift cards. I chatted with apple about a refund a little while ago because I got double charged on a fairly large IAP purchase. And at the end dude asked me to give him my birthdate, address and a phone number. I sorta winged and said a bunch of numbers and "Cleveland" which I kinda remember after the show Cleveland lol. Anyway got my store credit back the same day. I didnt jot down a long winded answer about my anus, only one word answers so hopefully I'll get em right next time. Is this stuff even legal? Not that I care one bit, only curious. :confused:

8. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    lol

personally, i find security questions a pain in the bum. for starters, they are (relatively) easy to guess and second people can research in social networks and might get them through one of your friends. :mad: so if you do use fake answers (which everybody probably do) then what's the point in having them at all?

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    :eek: wtf?

I'm fairly certain Apple can't legally ask you about your anus...

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I almost always choose "Who was your best childhood friend?" 'cause practically none of my current friends knew that person, and they had a really weird name anyway :D

11. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Was snozberry who brought up the anus thing, not me!

Anyway I've had to deal with apple support a few times and what the hell is wrong with those people? They are so...nice. Too nice u know, scary nice. I'm like "you have a nice day" and they're like "and you have an AWESOME day!! oh and have a lollipop" Do apple employes go trough some kind of boot camp before employment? Maybe it's an American thing. Here in Sweden any kind of support tells you to f*** of first sign of any trouble.

12. Oh, your friend Anus. That was my best friend too long ago.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Still my best friend now ;)

14. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
  15. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Yeah I remember trying this but silly me also put a fake email.. I will be way more precautions about these things in the future.
    I slipped in a phrase about anuses (or anii, like cacti) to see if anyone would actually read my big wall of text. Was quite surprised it was.. I usually feel like I'm talking to myself when I'm on the internetz.
    I actually laughed out loud when I saw "I didn't jot down a long phrase about my anus" bahahha wording is great.

Yeah apple employees are super dooper eerily nice.. So I wouldn't be surprised if they help you out, especially since you emailed them not long ago about a refund.. Hopefully they'll understand your situation if you tell them the truth about the fake address. I also made my account fake because of winning free iTunes cards from online comps.. I made my like 999 lollipop lane, rainbowville.. So if I explained to them it was a fake account, atleast they could see the address and realize I'm being truthful.. But still, probability doesn't equal proof and alot of companies require proof sadly.. I was in tears one day when I tried to change my grandma account details which I had set up for her years ago, making my proof of identity my bank card number, which was my old bank and didn't have access to anymore, had numerous other I'd like license and stuff but they still refused and my poor granny had to get a new number after finally memorizing it after like 8 years.. Was horrible..still hold a vendetta against telstra now..sometimes I just fantasize about the things I would do if I were to ever lose my mind and lose the sense of remorse and consequences. Anyway, wow it's a wall of text again, better slip in an inappropriate sentence, just cause surely no one would read a second wall of text! vagnosis is a form of hypnosis, it is performed by staring into the Internet meme titled "blue waffle" while actually eating blueberrie waffles.
    I'm sure you will sort it out, between a possible email reset, to communicating with friendly apple staff, to maybe even someday waking up and randomly remembering your answer.. I'm sure it'll be alright!
    I remember I considered giving them a bunch of forms of id as proof of identity, then telling them if anyone ever contacts apple saying their account has been hacked that they had my id and could legally pursue it or whatever. But again, it's still not really proof, just probability. Hopefully apple have a soul and trust their loyal customers..surely they could just check the ip address the device has always used and confirm it's still using that ip, hence proving it hasn't been hacked. Unless someone and really nasty room mates or overly attached girlfriend.jpeg

16. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Just to add...Vagnosis is more like a hypnosis/psychosis mix state. May sound like fun but seriously, don't try it. irreversible stuff. If ur in the dark about this, let it stay that way.

Anyway about the refund, it was a live chat on apple.com with some support dude. Maybe some just don't care about the fake information and just wanna be suiiiuuper nice. I sorta get the feeling after talking to a few of these super creeapy-nice apple dudes that when they get home at the end of the day, they just sit down on the couch in their nice and tidy little living room. Starring blankly into the wall..or the tv...coz peoples probably have a tv. Anyway slowly pulling out the gun. But maybe it's just me. Might have Vagnosis.

17. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    All the ..most of the above posts only makes sence if you read em somewhere between 1 AM and 4 AM.

18. Or if you are on the john reading your iphone wondering why nothing is coming out of your bestfriend. Maybe you are right...

19. Bassman97

Bassman97 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2012
    none
    You dont need to know
    It happened to me today, the new game sky gamblers Cold War came out and I clicked on the link in the iPod and iPhone game section on touch arcade. It wasn't out in the us yet so it took me to the New Zealand store, after a couple of days I decided to get it and was on the us store and it asked me the security questions because it is my first purchase on a different device( I'm still on the same device as before) I couldn't answer the stupid questions like what was the first album you owned, I didn't even see that question while making the account. So now I'm locked out of my account for eight hours. Somone said at the bottom of the questions u can send something to your back up email, since I'm locked can some look to see if that option is still available or something? It would greatly appreciated if someone could help me out, thanks.