Uploading game for private release

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jDun1212, Mar 28, 2012.

1. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I was wondering if it was possible to upload a game to the AppStore set the release day way in the future, and then generate download codes for it, and have users download it before it is released? I would like to send it out to the press as a special VIP sorta thing.

Does anyone know if this is possible. And if it is, how do I generate codes for a game that will be free?

Thanks!

2. Scraff

Scraff Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Im not sure that you can. PromoCode are for games that are on the appstore as far as I know.

If you wanted to give press a preview, you could either simple come up with a preview video, or send them an AdHoc release, but they would have to give your their UDID codes

3. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Yes you definitely can do this - I remember downloading another dev's app via promo code before it was actually released (the utterly brilliant Codea).

You request the promo codes for it in just the same way as a paid app, so this is a great way to give out exclusive previews to the press without the hassle of getting UDIDs.

4. Scraff

Scraff Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    I retract my previous statement :p

5. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    @DemonJim Thanks for the tip. That makes it so much easier to do a VIP release. Hopefully others will find this if they need it.

6. lvergani

lvergani Member

Mar 12, 2012
    You can use Testflight too.
    https://testflightapp.com/

It is designed and positioned as a 'beta testing tool', but will work for VIP releases. :)