Posting of Old Games in the iphone forum

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Connector, Jan 25, 2014.

1. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    No need to close it. People can still read and reply.

2. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I totally agree that double threads are a nuisance, definitely not defending that. Like you say the search function is hit and miss and the TouchArcade Bot leaves a little to be desired.

For example, searching for a game with only three letter words in the title is impossible. Checking to see if a game is duplicated if it has common words (such as Dead Adventure or something) is also incredibly difficult, especially if it was originally posted by the Bot who doesn't add the developer I for to the title.
    Doubles are unfortunately to be expected but they definitely could be lessened so there are some good suggestions here.

As for games getting no interest and having empty threads...there's nothing that could be done about that. No one can predict what games are going to be surprise hits, to use Flappy Bird as an example once more. Honestly, it looks a bit rubbish and I wouldn't even post it on here, but I was most definitely wrong and it deserved a shot. On the other side of the table, it could have easily bombed and got no posts whatsoever.
    If people knew the magic formula that made the forum burst to life and post hundreds of views in the thread then there wouldn't be a single financial failure here.

Anyway, cheers for the post, always good to discuss stuff like this!

3. Thanks PeteOzzy for all of your effort always. This should help you and others out alot. Don't rely just on the forums search when looking for past games. Also use google and search for the name of the game and with the tagword toucharcade.

So go to google, search for "Infinity Blade 3 toucharcade", then hit the more results from forum links, and a big list of old threads will come up. It's not always accurate, but it is the best way to search that I know of.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

4. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    That's actually not a bad idea, thank you! Should speed things up as well, there a lot of things involved in making new game threads so that'll definitely help cheers :)

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Just as an FYI, if you're searching for a title consisting of two common words that doesn't come up on it's own (eg something like Dead Adventure) put the whole name in quotes. Like so: "dead adventures".
    That way, only the results that match the whole phrase instead of individual words will show up. It's still not perfect, but will net you more relevant results. (Same applies for other search engines)

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hey, thanks for that

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Add this to your Google search, it works better-

site:forums.toucharcade.com

So for instance,

site:forums.toucharcade.com flappy bird
    https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforums.toucharcade.com+flappy+bird&rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS572US572&oq=site%3Aforums.toucharcade.com+flappy+bird&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.527j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

It'll only show results from the forums, versus front page stuff and any other junk on toucharcade.com/games/whatever.

8. I do have to say, I have noticed a dramatic difference in the iphone gaming forum the last 3 days. A huge improvement.

So thanks all for listening to this post, and thanks whether it is management or users alike on the improvement.

Good job all, thanks. :)

9. This is for PeteOzzy:

In a new game thread today, I posted just the fact that a game was over 9 months old.

PeteOzzy responded something like not this all over again.

I wanted to state that I was not complaining or trying to make a big deal out of it Pete. Just it would be nice if people would mention that it was an older game when making new threads.

Anyway, I do not feel that a post should be discredited if it says how old a game is, because some people would be interested in that info, and know that a game is not a new release.

The thread was deleted by a mod, so that is why I am responding here.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I deleted the thread as it was an old game.

Search and use the old thread for it but creating new threads for old games specially on 'release Wednesday' can be confusing as it makes it look like it might be a new release