I absolutely hate the new App Store.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Balloon Loons, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Has anyone noticed that with the exception of maybe 3 or 4 apps, the majority of the apps that are easily seen in the store have been the same for the last 2 months?? This is so stupid not just from an indie developer pov but also as a customer. I hate the fact that I have no feasible way to find new apps or cool new things. It's very frustrating.

Appsfire released their app and its awesome! Why can't the App Store look like this?

Right now there are like 4 companies hogging all the spots on the front pages and everyone else is in the dust.

Anyone else feel like this? When they first made changes to the store at least there was still some feasible way of seeing a list of new apps. Now that list is completely gone and there is no movement in the store. What's the point of touting 600k apps if you only show 20 of them!?

2. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Interesting... I actually like the new App Store... it seems to be focused more on categories than overall games (we actually got a sales boost for having a categorical feature... which was WORTHLESS before the new app store).

Before, it took a bit of work to view categories, and there wasn't any lists there (just the charts). Now, it presents you the categories right away if you click games, and then in each category you have N&N, whats hot, and new releases, making it much easier to find specific types of games you might be interested in.

Also, I don't get why people keep saying they can't find new releases anymore... they're just right there (but only under each category, not some giant list of 100s of new games all in one place that was incredibly difficult to navigate before).

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    They elimated all the worthless apps (which were hundreds) and made it to 30+ for the new games part instead of 300. I actually like the way they did it.

4. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Maybe I'm just not understanding it. But the new category is not really a new category based on selection it seems. You go to the respective category and you may see a list of like 10 apps and that's all.

Also what I'm referring to is not digging. In other words what is easily accessible. It's obvious. You first few clicks around the store are only going to show you the same apps. Clash of clans listed on 5 different lists and pages for example. It's like the only apps for the iPhone are angry birds, clash of clans, and mine craft lol. Of course I'm exagerating. But just saying. Just as a user I'm pretty frustrated with the App Store experience. I don't feel like digging to find new stuff. Just look at the appsfire app and you'll see what proper app display / exposure should look like.

Not to mention that before you had a chance for your app to be pulled from the grave via updates. These days that's not existent. But I suppose that's dwelling in the past. Once you're in the grave it seems you're in the grave. While angry birds reaps in the profits because they are on the store front for years to come.

Think of it as a store front. Would you manag your store shelves like this? I would hope not. That's like keeping super Mario bros from 1980 on all your shelves with big banner ads all over the store and Mario in the window and never putting up a banner for the latest games with the exception of a lucky few. So no in 2013 Mario from 1980 is the top grossing still because that's all people know. That's all you showed them! Of course they think its the best thing ever. But eventually people are going to get sick of you showin them mario and you'll start losing business.

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    If my 1980 Mario was still selling like hot cakes you best believe I'm keeping up front. There's angry birds then there's games that the developer paid there way to the top. I personally lost intrest in angry birds sadly even the Star Wars one but others still download it and love it. Now I keep seeing on the RPG cat. That there's always that one game at the top for 99 cents now THEY have bought there way in the top because there hasn't been any games since last summer that took its spot for a week (mini empires)

6. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    And hurting your business model in the long run? Eventually people will tire of seeing the same apps on display. I mean seriously I bought an iPhone for its diversity in apps. Why am I only seeing 20 apps lately? In variated orders? But nevertheless the same apps!?

7. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    I've literally never seen your games in the store and that's unfortunate because they look pretty cool.

8. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Maybe you do but I can imagine many people don't. Why should I have to even dl an app like appsfire to get exposure to some new products? The need alone for such an app shows that the App Store is lacking.

When I first had my iPhone 3GS I would browse the store for hours to find something cool and new. Now I browse for 10 minutes and I've seen everything they have to show. Every list is a dead end. Hell most of the lists show the same damn apps! Lol. Most days I don't even browse the store in search for apps anymore because the lists don't change. I log in a week later and it's the same damn apps lol.

And who declares an app worthless? I may look at your apps and say they are worthless and you may look at mine and say likewise. The point is to have a fair equal shot in the market. Now that is just not the case. If you have enough money you can buy all the top spots easily.

9. GameHopping

GameHopping Active Member

I greatly preferred the older App Store layout, myself.
    What I really dislike, though, is the iPad app store. I just released an app today and can see it on my iMac's iTunes, but can't find it on my iPad without a specific search because they just don't list 'non-choice' products.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yeah I'm not a dev but I don't like the new AppStore as a consumer. It's slow and the changes are annoying. The old one was fine.

11. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    That's exactly what I mean! So then the consumer is left staring at the same apps over and over because new stuff just doesn't get listed. And it's not fair to say that an app like yours has no value therefore it shouldn't be listed.

I'm just really getting frustrated at seeing the same apps over and over being listed on the top pages in various lists. Funny they try to make it seem like the categories are unique. Like this weeks feature is one touch apps. But those apps are again just apps that have been listed a million times. It's like trying to package something as something new but it's the same damn thing over and over.

12. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    It is slow right??? I thought it was just me! Sometimes it takes like a full minute or so just to load up! Sometimes I have to cancel it out because it hangs! Horrible!

13. LuvMini

LuvMini New Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Hi, I just joined but my iPad mini has a different AppStore setup than my iPhone 4 & I only see 10 or 20 apps in each category now.
    Where are the rest???

My iPhone will let me scroll for hours through apps and I find lots of good apps in my searches....I.see the same 20+ apps over & over on iPad AppStore & I hate it.

How do I find the rest???

14. It's pretty and all, but it is really slow and laggy to run, really discourages a lot of us from browsing to find new apps cause it is so slow. Plus the new release section is gone, and also loading my purchase history just gets locked up which sucks.

So overall, fail, don't even use appstore anymore really to search for stuff like I did before, so I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't surf through it, wish it was faster.

15. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Yeah the new App Store is rubbish, even on my iPad 4 it is slow and laggy, and I have no interest in it anymore, on the last App Store I found myself looking through it for ages without thinking about it. The purchase history needs to be better as well, from what I can see it doesn't include a price or when you bought apps, kind of missing the point of a purchase history...

16. I prefer seeing multiple apps with one (scrolling) gesture. Now it's one swipe per app :mad:

It's also subtly discriminating against landscape apps as the landscape screenshots occupy a lot less space than portrait ones. And that matters!

17. #17 BlueSpiral, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    Doesn't this just put more emphasis on the keyword searches?

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    iPad 4. Crashes occasionally, lags, takes a while to load, etc. and my wifi's quite decent.

It was much speedier with iOS 5.

19. vbovio

vbovio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I hate the iOS 6 store app too, hope it gets fixed.. btw, I got a BlackBerry Dev Alpha B, their store app loads pretty fast and you can browse lots of apps very quickly, think about the previous iOS store app list but much more faster, no need to tap "see 25 more" or anything, really fast and smooth, and it's a test device.. hope Apple fixes the damn thing, really.