what is your favourite twin / dual stick shooter ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by STYJ, Mar 6, 2011.

1. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Like the title says, I'm curious about your favourite twin / dual stick shooters .

You can list a few down . I'm planning on getting one but I don't know which one so I'll just get the most popular one (assuming I don't already have it)

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Bug Heroes is probably my fav.

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I don't play DSS often, but if I do, it would probably be Bug Heroes.

4. Bug Heroes
    Max Adventure
    Mushihimesama Bug Panic
    Meteor Blitz

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #5 backtothis, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    One of my favorite genres on the iOS:

-the old grandaddy that started this shit off but can still hold its own: iDracula
    -Bug Heroes
    -Mushihimesama Bug Panic
    -Age of Zombies
    -Max Adventure

-Geometry Wars
    -Meteor Blitz
    -Minigore
    -Alive 4 Ever
    -Alive 4 Ever: Returns
    -Solomon's Keep
    -Solomon's Boneyard
    -Etolis Arena
    -Robokill
    -Aftermath

There's my top 5 and 10 runner-ups :].

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #6 undeadcow, Mar 6, 2011
    I have become a big dual stick shooter junkie... hands down Meow Meow Happy Fight has been a favorite of mine. MMHF is madcap but the gameplay is versus AI controled equals rather than cannon fodder enemies so it feels more intense and competative, lots of unlockables. It's a guilty pleasure. In Red Nova the space physics are a nice touch and difficulty is grueling although it might be short lived.
    With Pirates' Cove the levels can get redundant but there are tons of them.

Age of Zombies is fun but too easy and I found Max Adventure to seem too casual (but both are nice throwbacks to SNES era).

Too cheap for bug panic. I hear Bug Heroes, Revolt, Aftermath, and Alien Space are winners but haven't gotten around to them yet. Haven't gotten to Robokill yet either but I want that one to be good.

Here here... iDracula is insane. I was surprised by the rush in survival mode expecting a relic.

7. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    #7 STYJ, Mar 6, 2011
    I've most of the game mentioned in this thread other than AoZ, Max Adventures and Meow Meow Happy Fight .

Personally , I don't like Max Adventures . Tried out the lite . It was pretty meh .

I really want to get AoZ but the short campaign is holding me back . Plus it's 3 bucks ! (I know it's not a lot)

I recently bought Etolis Arena . The developers said a huge update will be coming soon .

Something I dislike about myself is that I always want new games before completing old ones . I very seldom complete any games . The most I've got completed is like 80% ? I tried completing Angry Birds (with 3 stars on every stage) . Yes I did that but when I had to restore my Ipod , I lost everything so I got fedup and decided not to play it anymore .

Should I just play my old games again instead of buying new ones ?

But I really really want AoZ ...

I bought games like LASW and Red Conquest but didn't play it all >.>

Yes I know it's going a little off topic .

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you want to look more into dual stick shooters this thread it a little older but it's a goldmine...

List of Dual-Stick Shooters

It is off topic; and it sounds like you already know the answer to your own question... you're impulse buying too many games and need to curb that to focus on content already on your device (I too share your illness). No point seeking random suggestions till the queue is lulled (but dual stick shooters are a blast).

9. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Bug Heroes! Also, if you have the patience, it's worth it to master a couple games instead of just floundering at all of them. Gives a great sense of satisfaction and makes you truly feel like you beat the game.

10. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    I know impulse buying is a bad habit >.> Argh ! OKAY THEN ! I SHALL NOT GET ANY MORE GAMES UNTIL I'VE COMPLETED THOSE I ALREADY HAVE .

Thanks for all your opinions :)

and thanks for that thread too . It seems pretty updated to me (last updated 30th Jan 2011)

@K!,

I will accomplish it :D

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #11 backtothis, Mar 6, 2011
    @STYJ

That's honestly how the iOS market works. It feels okay to buy a myriad of games without finishing them unlike console games because of the low prices you're paying. I say just go out and buy what you want as long as you have the resources to and are willing. I have a backlog of 150+ games from just the past few months and am always trying to play through them as fast as possible and get them off my iPod. The thing is, I buy 2 new games by the time I've completed one. So, in the end, I'm spending the equivalent of a new console game every month: $60. Its great fun though, and I definitely love the platform. Just have fun man. Although I have an enormous backlog and hardly spend that much time with one game, you can always hit me up on a title with multiplayer, and I'll show you I can still match up in every to people who play a ton. Just because you don't spend that much time with any one game doesn't mean you won't be able go enjoy it entirely.

AoZ does have a short campaign, but that's not where it shines anyways. The great amount of intense survival maps is what the game is about. Definitely grab it man. LASW and RC are two killer RTS games heheh; you should play them!

12. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Haven't played that many of them, but of the ones I have played, Bug Heroes is by far the best.

13. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    I actually also wanted starfront collision . Decided not to get it because I haven't completed these 2 other RTS games yet . I shall complete them one day :D

I shall take your opinion into consideration too ! AoZ, when you're on sale again, I shall be the first to grab you .

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Starfront is the best RTS to date on the iOS in my opinion. There's always players online as well.

15. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
  16. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Had isotope . Completed it but it was too easy iirc . I'll give it a go again .

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You seem to have many dual-stick shooters but do you have Captain BomBom?!? I got it for free not expecting much and that one really surprised me. It's got zany aliens, vechicles to ride, and a tower defense component. For my money it's the premier space marine game on iOS (umm... behind NOVA, or... errr... Dead Space...)

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It actually looks really cool. I'ma grab it. Thanks!

19. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #19 Coldar, Mar 6, 2011
    It has 3 difficulty settings if your not aware. I'm STILL working on the last few stages in Brutal mode. But you know, with new games always coming out.....:rolleyes:

20. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    - Bug Heroes.
    - Call of Duty: World at War Zombies.