iPad Spectaculator - ZX Spectrum Emulator for iOS (un-official thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, May 28, 2011.

?

Which ZX Spectrum Emulator do you prefer on iOS

1. Spectaculator

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. ZX Spectrum Elite Collection

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. iSpeecy(web app)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ZX Nostaliga 1-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sciencematthew

Sciencematthew Well-Known Member

2. niknice

niknice Active Member

#102 niknice, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    Check this out guys - http://simonowen.com/spectrum/pacemuzx/ Its an emulator that runs the proper arcade version of Pacman on the humble Speccy. Need original Pacman rom for this to work but I have got it working in Spectaculator on my Iphone perfectly - Amazing stuff :)
    Tip - When changing Config.plist you must choose 4 as your model version as it requires +2/3 mode to work.

If anyones having probs getting this to work PM me :)

3. niknice

niknice Active Member

Does anybody know if Spectaculator supports Currah Speech compatible games?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why dont you try one?

I've got about 200 games in Spectaculatir but no currahspeech ones because they're not the best! Just tried death star interceptor and the voice 'prepare to launch' is heard

5. niknice

niknice Active Member

I have tried some, but with no luck. I was wondering whether there was something in the plist that needed changing to enable it. Death Star Intercepter speech doesn't require the use of Currah hardware.

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I bought Spectaculator today as I'm a little too timid to jailbreak my ipad 2.

Managed to get Imagine's 'Jumping Jack' installed and working. its good although I prefer a good old keyboard or joystick to my ipad2 screen.

is the app still under development? I wonder if they would consider adding wiimote controller support?

I know some jailbroken emulators have the option of using a wiimote as the control method.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You won't get wiimote support w/out jailbreaking. Your best bet is an iCade or an iCade Mini (when they come out.)

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for that.

I think I'll just try to get the courage to jailbreak it then.

9. daedalia

daedalia Member

Sep 22, 2010
    May have some bad news with customising Spectaculator and the advent of iOS6. At the moment it seems I can only modify the contents of the Documents folder. I've tried altering the application folder contents and nothing takes hold. Could be a glitch but it seems like an effective way of eliminating tampering with apps.

10. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ugh, I have absolutely NO experience with any sort of coding and am trying to get my .tzx files into Spectaculator. All I need are the config files but I have no idea even how to begin one. Is there like a template, how-to or anything to help get these running? It seems as though without one I get no controls, is that right?

11. developer.etc

developer.etc New Member

Aug 13, 2012
    #111 developer.etc, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    Don't waste your time trying to hack Spectaculator. iZX is a best choice for jailbroken devices (6$): http://izxemu.com.

Also lite version is available on AppStore for free (no games, no hacks): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/izx-lite/id533439937?mt=8

To see how full version looks like search for "izxemu.com" on YouTube.

Just what to warn you to prevent negative responses:
    DON'T BUY IT UNTIL YOU GOT TRIAL MODE WORKING!

For any issues plz contact me using forum support or directly using mailbox provided on web page.

Artem

12. niknice

niknice Active Member

I think I'll stick with Spectaculator thanks and my 300 odd games installed :)

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So Spectaculator just received an update... has anyone found a way to add files to the Game Pack folder post iOS 6?

Looks like I may end up deleting one of my favourite apps.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You've kept the old IPA's right?

Did the new version nuke your games, or can you just not add new ones?

15. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Yes! The same way as with the version a year ago, by sticking them in the app's
    /Library/PrivateDocuments/Purchased Games
    folder :p Worked on my new iPod touch running iOS 6.0.1. It's not like he can highlight that fact in the app's description for obvious reasons :D

I've only tried running three games so far (out of my 350 or so) but they worked fine.

btw I see the author seems to have added additional things to the Config.plist file. Analogue Thumbpad was the one I noticed when glancing at one of the files, and preRendered something or other; I've not had time to see if anything else is available there and have no idea what effect any of them have when used.

Also there is now a game specific Turbo Mode option you can enable or disable in the game's own in-app menu settings, which seems to do what you would expect, though seems to keep keyboard input rate (interrupts?) at the usual rate. It seems to run Lords of Midnight at around 2.5x normal speed on my iPod touch 5th gen (similar hardware to iPhone 4S).

I don't really like the new list with the dot-matrix printer paper look as it reduces the available display width for no tangible benefit.

I might spend more than a few minutes delving into the changes tomorrow or over the weekend. Either way, it is a nice early xmas present.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Unfortunately no, I didn't keep the old IPA's because I hardly ever sync my iPad and accidentally hit "Update all" before realising Spectaculator was one of the updates.

It kinda nuked my games in that the new update wouldn't install (possibly due to all my games being there, I'm not sure), so I was forced to delete it and redownload.

Cool, thanks. I'll give that a try now. I'm not too fond of the new look either. I like how the game artwork looks a little smoother on iPad, but the Speccy/controller images on the lists are a little tacky. Still no update for retina either, so I'm stuck with fuzzy icons. Luckily the games themselves still display perfectly.

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Okay, new issue, but a minor one. Anybody know how to fix this?

Attached Files:

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Haven't been able to hit Update All for a loooong time now. ;)

And... can't you just add extra graphics to the game's folder for high-res icons? Is that locked down in iOS6?

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You mean the game art? It might be possible for the games I've added manually but the folder containing the other games won't let you write to it. I was referring to the tab icons though, I don't think they're easily accessible... pretty much everything except the Documents and Library folders are read-only now.

20. yelever

yelever Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Just found this thread and can confirm that iPhone explorer will NOT work on an iPad running 6.0.1 so adding custom games is a no go for now unless there is an alternative. iPhone explorer won't let you add or copy files over on ios 6.0.1 :(