Books on Getting started.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ConorJBoughey, Jul 18, 2010.

1. ConorJBoughey

ConorJBoughey Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Im looking into developing for the iOS. But im unsure of what books to get, im looking for the following and would love some suggestions.

A beginning Objective C and Cocoa Book
    A Beginners Guide for developing iOS Games
    Advanced Objective C and Cocoa Book
    Advanced Guide for developing iOS Games.

Thank You, i'd be grateful for suggestions.

2. It would be nice to know your programming background before I make any recommendation. Do you know any computer programming languages like c, c++, java, php, etc? What kinds of things have you programmed? Or are you an absolute beginner in this field?

3. ConorJBoughey

ConorJBoughey Member

Jun 19, 2010
    The only coding ive really done is some HTML/CSS stuff.

4. Well...before I start...if you do want to take a shortcut, there is always Game Salad or one of those other types of frameworks that can use to make a game without having much knowledge of programming. So, for the impatient, there is that route.

The difference between using a framework and programming something yourself is kind of the like the difference between building a lego house and real house.

If you do want to learn programming, there will be a couple of topics that are kind of complex, like how to manage memory so that you don't run out, "object-oriented" programming, etc. But, anyway, the book I recommend is "Programming in Objective-C" by Steve Kochan.

So books will assume that you know how to program and teach you how to program the iPhone. This book will assume you don't know how to program and teach you the basics of programming, only using the Mac OS X/ iPhone software development kit.

5. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    hi i found this.. i went to school/college/degree whatever.. to code well the paper says computer science as generic as that is.. anyhow... i only know C tho.. so was curious about iphone/pod code.. anyhow i found this webpage.. probably will be useful to your future development.

http://icodeblog.com/

chris.