What can I clean my iPhone with?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jordanrracer, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    I recently got a new (and my first!) iPhone. It's an iPhone 4 and I'm most likely going to need to clean its screen every so often in the future.. I've used this spray bottle that is used for my dad's camera lens on my iPod Touch 4g and nothing is wrong I presume but I want to make sure it's harmless.. (What I did was spray it on a tissue and wiped the tissue on the iPod's touch screen).

On the bottle it's named "Ultra Clarity" which "offers improved cleaning power on all lenses and coatings, especially anti-reflective lenses."

Also it says it contains "Isopropanol".

So what do you think guys? Is this okay to use to clean the touch screen on my iPhone 4?

Thank you in advance!! :)

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Cleaning solutions made for technology are great for cleaning iDevices. I actually just spray it directly onto the iPad and iPod Touch and use a cloth for cleaning screens to wipe it off. Been doing this for at least two years now. I generally clean my iPod on a daily basis.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I use my (cotton) tshirts that I happen to be wearing at the time. I wipe it after every time I use it - and not a scratch so far. As long as you don't use something abrasive, you don't even need a specific cleaning solution, imo.

4. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    Thanks buddy!

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yep, I agree. For daily cleanings, I use a tiny bit of water along with a cotton shirt. Nothing wrong with doing that. Can't imagine how much solution you'd need if you cleaned your device daily.

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think the lens stuff would probably be fine it might even repair any small scratches if it's the same stuff I'm thinking off. I used some of it with a slight anti glare effect on my old PSP and that screen is still looking like new.

Just use it sparingly in my opinion.

7. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Touch screens are actually one of the biggest breeding grounds of bacteria. Most phones contain traces of e.coli and fecal matter, etc.
    Ive seen tests on a show where more bacteria was on a phone screen then a toilet seat at a public toilet.
    Since watching that I use antibacterial wipes on my phone once a day and strongly advise proper cleaning atleast once a week

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Go to Sunglass Hut and get their cleaning kit. It comes with a microfiber cloth and it's $9.99. The cleaner is isotoponyl and is safe for electronics. Do not spray the device directly, spray the cloth and then clean your device. If the cloth eventually becomes oily, wash it and let it air dry, do not put it in the dryer. Lastly Sunglass Hut refills the bottle for free and it comes in a variety if cases, I use the Oakley case.

9. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    you could use plenty of cleaners for this, water is your go to source with a microfiber cloth

you could use very little isopropyl alcohol and a cotton ball to disinfect the surface then use water + cloth after

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I just use my breath and whatever shirt i'm wearing for my iPod haha.

If you don't have a screen protector and you tend to have smudge problems, get one. They help a lot by resisting oils and such...if you can get it on without too much junk underneath.

11. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I use one of these:
    [​IMG]

well it looks like the one I use. I bought it from my school and it works pretty well. Cool thing is they stick to the back of your phone, case anything. You can even wash it when it is dirty and losing its sticky and it becomes brand new. Now that I see how much of a shady website and how cheap my school got them for I'm slightly mad I paid 2 dollars for it.....

12. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I use monster screen cleaner, same thing I use for my moniter. Comes with a microfibre cloth and works fine. I'm sure there's lots of things you can use to clean it.. anything that cleans a moniter will clean a screen.

13. KimLoarna

KimLoarna New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    UK
    Don’t use any type of chemicals to clean your iPhone. I use to soak a piece of scratch resistant cloth in water and then clean the screen. Finally wipe smoothly until the screen gets dried. It does not harm your phone.

14. I use Windex wipes for electronics. They sell at Walmart and are great to clean screens. They come with lots of wipes, so I put one in a baggie and one sheet lasts about a week. They are about five bucks for 25 wet sheets and you can cut them up for more uses. Also walmart had a cheaper brand bit I haven't tried them.

But try these, they work much better than water and a tshirt and all fingerprints are gone presto!

15. Optimus Dime

Optimus Dime Active Member

Jun 24, 2012
    # You can get a screen protector for a touch screen device?! How does it work? Google time. ##

16. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I actually bought some touch screen wipes in a chemist a couple of weeks ago more out of curiosity than anything else. Their sort of like baby wipes for your phone and seem to work well although I generally just use a micro fibre cloth.

[​IMG]

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I realise I'm late to the party, but... you know if you're the only person using your phone then it'd already be on your fingers, right? Ditch the antibacterial wipes and make sure you wash your hands properly after using the bathroom.

Also, interesting fact: microscopic amounts of fecal matter aren't a great health risk to anybody. There's even a certain percentage legally allowed in food products before it'll be recalled.

18. HallBeverly

HallBeverly New Member

Jun 28, 2012
    I use spray and a cloth for screens cleaning. And I do itat least once a week.

19. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    #19 Zevious Zoquis, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    Anyone worried about fecal matter on their Iphone better keep their toothbrush stored in a haz-mat bag. (one of my favorite moments on Myth Busters was when they tested bathrooms to find out where the best spot to store toothbrushes was and they ended up determining that there was no way to avoid fecal matter - even in the kitchen. The highlight was the guy with the stache exclaiming in frustration "theres poo EVERYWHERE!") :D Seriously, people worry way too much about germs. We need to be exposed to a certain amount of dirt in order to build up resistance to bacteria.

I use the breath/cotton T-shirt combo for cleaning my iphone screen. Works just fine...

20. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I've used a variety of different things to clean my device screens. Some of the best are:
    -microfiber cloths
    -soft t-shirts
    -eyeglass tissues

paired with (a little bit of):
    -eyeglass cleaner
    -water
    -display cleaner

The microfiber cloths and t-shirts work fine by themselves if there's just fingerprints on the screen.