Jump Jack - An action platformer where my son saves his baby sister from evil robots

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RossmanBrothersGames, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 RossmanBrothersGames, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    UPDATE: Release date October 8th!

Hey everyone! Excited to announce Jump Jack, an action platform coming soon to iOS. It's about my son saving his baby sister from evil robots. Check out our gameplay trailer.

Features:

-Extremely fun level based auto runner. (Not an endless runner)

-Very cool combo system unlike any platformer. This system provides high scores, level achievements, and power ups. Possible to kill all enemies in each level within a combo, a super fun challenge! Better than collecting coins.

-Precise controls and great combination of mechanics making for an action packed and strategic touch screen experience. (Shoot, Jump, Sprint, Shield, and Super Jump).

-Three difficulties: Normal, Retro Hard, and Casual Easy. (Something for everyone)

-Testers agree: Challenging but fair level design. Earn your way through each level, a rewarding experience.

-Unlock-able Nightmare Levels for those looking for an insane challenge.

-Competitive Game Center leaderboards.

-Single price point. No IAPs or Ads.

Jump Jack is a game based off a story I would tell my son Jack at bedtime. I started developing the game when we just had our daughter. I would tell Jack stories of him saving his sister to get him excited about protecting his new baby sister. (How cool is that? When I was a kid a dreamed of having a video game made about me!)

About 2 years ago I asked my older brother if he would be down to make a game together. I dabbled in some game design in high school and he is a talented artist. We both grew up playing games together, and living a distance apart we still connect today by gaming online together. Having families and working full time jobs we have done this all in our free time. Even if our game isn’t a big success it is an exciting accomplishment to have made a video game with my big brother.

The process of making this game has opened my eyes to so many great games and developers on the app store. I have also loved getting to know some of the great members on these forums through beta testers and chatting on twitter. This is a pretty awesome community. Let me know if you have any questions!

[​IMG]

press kit: http://rossmanbrosgames.com/press

twitter: @rossmanbros @rossman_eric

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rossmanbrothersgames

2. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Just a heads up, in case you weren't aware. There's a reasonably popular game series on iOS called "Junk Jack". While it's not quite the same as your title, exactly, exposure on the iOS platform is crucial. Having any kind of brand confusion might not be doing you any favors in such a tumultuous market like the app store.

Of course, I wish you only the best of luck with your game! :)

3. Thanks for the heads up man. I was aware of that series, though we have been promoting our game with this title for a while. I'm also pretty taken to the name, it's after my son Jack. Hopefully we can set ourselves apart for it not to be too much of an issue, but I see your concern. Thanks for the comment!

4. supafly129

supafly129 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had the pleasure of beta testing this masterpiece and can say that it's DEFINITELY a game to look out for on launch day. Awesome graphics, sounds, and very smooth controls, especially exciting for those of us that love retro games. Quality platformers also seem to be scarce on the App Store which made this one that much more fun to play.

Hope to see this one get the attention it deserves and best of luck!

5. Thanks man! Appreciate the kind words, and thanks again for the help in testing!

6. This game looks like lots of fun. Definitely keen to play.

7. Wow! Thank you so much, I really enjoyed Cartoon Survivor. I'll make sure to let you know when we release.

8. Here are some screen shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. number111

number111 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    I saying it after watching the gameplay video, the game reimined me an old good snes game :)

10. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Wow....very impressive. I tested an early version of this and looks like some amazing progress was made.

Can't wait to play.

11. Good to hear! Definitely inspired by many old great games. Thanks for the comment!

12. Thanks man! We are getting really close to getting it sent to Apple. It should be out this month if all goes smoothly.

13. Update: We have been approved by Apple will be releasing next Thursday, October 8th!

Thought I would leave you all with a video showing what it is like to earn a combo star on a level! Jump Jack has a pretty awesome combo mechanic that provides power ups and such. It is possible to kill all the robots in each level in a single combo getting a combo star. Pretty cool achievement and a bit more fun that collecting coins and such. Here is what it looks like:

14. Looking good guys. Excited to play.

15. Thanks! Excited to see what people think! Has had great feedback from testers.

16. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for an unexpected early code on my day off, and in return i'll give you my honest impressions...

Let me get this straight first...
    No mami or iap will hold your hand here. This is a fun challenging and skill needed die trying game on easy mode, even more when going for highscore in normal mode, so...
    Don't have it - move on!

Fans of e.g. Jump'n'Shoot Attack (by Fullscreen Inc.) will love this game, imho.

After a little intro (can be skipped) the menu screen surprised me with a cool short 8-bit track. I immediately came to think of Jon Lord (Deep Purple) playing his Hammond organ. Raw lovely!
    And so is the charming pixely art style.

Though you can switch the controls to left/right hander, unfortunately there is no customization of the buttons individually. Glad to report that the buttons hit-points go way over the size and are responsive and easy to pull off. Well done.

But...i think you missed a great opportunity to create the perfect and intuitive use of the two cool features we have: a recharging superjump and a shield against shots/missiles. This fast game deserves to trigger them both by only sliding over from either the jump or the shoot button. Really.
    If i would have been a beta tester, i would have pounded on this matter nonstop :eek:

I started on easy mode (another great and gameplay fitting hammer track) to get into the game, and i quickly recognized two important points i'm not very fond of...oh, and please remember, i'm only four levels in, so this might change in the next world(s). I would edit this post, of course.

The ground i'm running on is the same as the background, hard to see the gaps sometimes.

The last pixels are definitely not on the players side. That's my point of view.
    Means, you have to hit the platform edges exactly and rather earlier than in many others games. No running off and still able to jump. You will fall.
    Btw, tap to jump, hold to jump higher.
    Also, jumping on an enemy can kill you if you miss his hit-point by a bit. One could call this intentional and challenging...or not the best game design. In the end, the players have to decide. I need way more practice before i state my final thoughts on this, though i tend to not like this issue atm, sorry to say.

Though the levels are rather short so far, i like the characters' occasional stop in front of a stair/platform to give you some breath and time to plan your next moves. A mix of learning and memorizing the level layout, but i'm still able to fix a "brain loss" with a good reaction time to keep my combo going.

Almost forgot to mention this very important point in a game you'll die a lot. Well, at least I do...yet.
    We are served with a very fast automatic replay, back to the start with 3 lives again. That's how it's done right!

It's a niche genre, imho, and remembering other recent threads of little shooters/smups/run'n'gun games, it might not make a big wave here and/or in the app store, but for some of you it'll make a big one for a hell of a surf!

Installed size MB 54, no iap, no shenanigans, no social crap.
    Made by two brothers. Chapeau!

PS: i reached world 2-2 and the ground is much better seen compared to the background, phew..

17. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
  18. haha, what do you know?! Had never seen it before. Crazy with all the Jump Jack related keyword stuff I've searched.

That one looks like it is for kids? :D Anyway, looks like the world will have two!

Really funny, that you point that out

19. Qwertz thanks for the feedback. Excited to hear what you think as you get further into the game and more into the combo system and stuff. Testers have loved it, especially once they got used to the challenge enough to go after the unlockables and such.

Also great recommendation on the slide over controls for the special moves, should be easy to implement.

20. Cosmic Badger

Cosmic Badger Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    Dublin
    This looks really polished, you must have put in a lot of work. I hope it does well for you :)