iPhone Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Quint

Quint New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    #21 Quint, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    I've been looking forward to this game being released for the iPad. I've never played it but I hear its a good turn-based strategy/rpg.

Do the characters' sprites always shuffle in place constantly, even when they aren't moving? Is there an option to turn that off? Seems a bit distracting.

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    They had fixed the font and text in an update already.

3. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Clearly I had stopped following shortly after the release then lol. So it looks decent now? In your opinion would you go Iphone version and play on phone + 2x mode, or should I just stick with ipad version because I will probably only play primarily there anyways

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #24 Cilo, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    If I owned an iPad I would've just waited for the iPad version, unfortunately I'm stuck playing on the iPhone, and I could see the extra screen real estate being such a huge asset to gameplay especially when rotating maps. Also looking at the gameplay video in this thread, those FMV cutscenes really pop on the bigger screen.

Yah SE had updated the game with higher resolution to all fonts and menus and they also redid all character portraits with crisper graphics. I noticed the difference the first time I fired up the update after playing on the original release for a bit.

As I mentioned in the original iPhone thread, if you're looking for deep customization to party members, tons of characters, skill trees galore, jobs jobs jobs, mad amounts of spells/abilities, excellent soundtrack, and a story that is still unrivaled a decade + later, this is the one title worth shelling out for. Yes the polygons in some aspect are crude, mainly due to being outdated, which I guess could be seen as a con if you are one of those "Modern Graphics NOA or GTFO!" types. However, as is I still think it's one of the greatest adventures ever created, and if SE figures out how to follow up with their promise of an update with "Higher Resolution Unit Character Graphics" I think a lot of people will freak.

5. Thorwan

Thorwan Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Same here. I'm glad I was wrong, can't wait to play this!

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Feels like the wait has been forever, but in several hours, I finally get to play one of my favorite tbs-rpg games of all time on my ipad 2. Im sure this is gonna be a good gig+ expanded. Here's to hoping it was worth the wait.

7. Vtec51O

Vtec51O Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Just had to finally come out the same day I get my Vita... =/ Been waiting for this since before the iPhone one came out but now I have my Vita so I probably wont be playing this for a while now. Oh well. Least it actually came out. Was beginning to think they just dropped it.

8. tofubean

tofubean Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Can i expect this game to be reduced in price during festive periods and roughly how much the discount will be, judging from previous Square Enix sales?

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #29 Ayjona, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    Probably relatively rarely and rather little, compared to most iOS apps. Final Fantasy Tactics for iPhone has dropped once, by 3 or 4 dollars, not much in relation to the total asking price. Other Square Enix games have seen more frequent and steeper discounts, but as a general rule, Square sticks relatively close to the full price, and wait for longer than most iOS devs before dropping.

(Use Appshopper.com to check the price history of games, if you want a more comprehensive overview :) )

10. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    does the iphone version have a price drop for this?

11. tofubean

tofubean Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Totally forgot i have this app in my folders. Thanks for the reminder! I love most of Square Enix rpg games so i think i'll be getting this when there's a sale. :)

12. crazycan98

crazycan98 Active Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So freakin torn on this. I've played with 2Xa bit and it's not terrible but seeing Sanukus video and just the screenshots looks like such an improvement..
    Didn't have an iPad at the time it came out on iPhone so I don't feel quite burned. I love square and have had no problem supporting them in the past but just torn.
    The replay value is there no doubt but at the same time I've already paid $16 and now maybe $18 lol. Just voicing it to make myself feel better

Great game and the price is not that bad for what you get. Wish they would've done universal but also wish that with support we'll get FF4-6 at least too.. Going to sleep on this one.

13. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Finally finished downloading. Surprised its only 796mb fully expanded; I figured it would be a gig+. Can't wait to sink some time into this and really can't wait for the updated graphics update to be available down the line too. A great night for us iPad users. :)

14. relsircspotcat

relsircspotcat Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Apps Developer
    Already finished the iphone version. But I still bought the iPad version, since it seems better and playing on a bigger screen is way better than the iPhone screen.

So far pretty happy with what I'm seeing. :)

15. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Any way to use an iphone version save on the iPad? Assuming it wouldn't automatically do so and it doesn't use cloud save.

16. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Bought the game. This is officially the most expensive iOS game I've bought so far.

17. RandomUser

RandomUser New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    How does this run on an iPad 1?

18. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Can we replay battles to gain experience? I cant see how to do this!

19. Dreamshadow

Dreamshadow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    No,mbut you will hit random battles as you move. So just walk between cities/waypoints and you'll be able to build up xp.

Another trick for getting jp for the other job classes is to use the focus ability over and over in a fight. This is from the squire abilities.

20. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Anyone try this with Retina Pad? I've been using it for Hero Academy and totally forgot it was an iphone only app.

Really don't want to buy this game twice to avoid seeing jaggies if I don't have to.