Cave Run - Similiar to Canabalt

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ravenousgames, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravenousgames

ravenousgames Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    Cave Run is a running game for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, similiar to Canabalt.

[​IMG]

Featuring extremely simple gameplay, an Indiana Jones-esque theme, and random levels / obstacles that you must overcome by jumping. How far can you run before falling off a cliff? Don't forget to collect as many coins as you can along the way since they will help the final score! One run is all you will need to see how addictive this game is!

Cave Run is being developed by Ravenous Games and will be available for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch late this summer.

You can read more and see more screenshots at www.caverungame.com. Make sure to signup for the newsletter, or follow us on Twitter to stay current on updates!

2. oaqque

oaqque Well-Known Member

cute little man

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Very cool looking stuff. Anything similar to Canabalt can't be bad.

4. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Hear, hear!

5. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    ;D You know how to roll!

6. N. Cabot

N. Cabot Active Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Add obstacles/enemies and a whip to break/kill them with, and I'm sold! (Whip could be used by making an upward swipe on the screen).

7. ravenousgames

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I've taken a gameplay video with my iPhone so the quality isn't the greatest, but shows the production quality of the game.

[​IMG]

8. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Those are great suggestions. I would love to see a Whip and maybe some enemies. - Oooh Booby traps?

Also:

What are the coins for?

9. ravenousgames

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    Those are good suggestions guys, we will keep them in mind for the first update.

The coins give a extra objective. The number of coins you collect are used alongside the distance and the number of times you level up to determine your final score.

There are also 3 leaderboards in OpenFeint. Most Distance, Most Coins and Total Score.

10. This was cool, I'm going to give it a go.

How long did it take to develop?

11. ravenousgames

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    Thanks Steve. It's been in development for about a month now. We should be submitting to Apple in the next couple weeks!

12. flourbros

flourbros Active Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I really enjoyed Canabalt, mostly 'cause the old style look and the awesome music.

Even if pretty different this one seems good too, even if (based on what I see from the video) I think it would be more addictive if it will start faster. The gameplay is so easy that you really need to a steep difficulty line to get addictive to it.

Just my two cents, probably worth nothing ;)

13. N. Cabot

N. Cabot Active Member

Jul 7, 2010
    After seeing the video, I'm a little worried. It seems to be less varied than Canabalt, although I love the art style! Update 1 however, if it added whip mechanics, enemies, and possibly mario-style power-ups(idols instead of mushrooms?) could make it one of the best games in the app store. I know this sounds like a lot, and it's just my opinion, so don't take it too seriously.

14. Good luck and let us know when the game is released! :)

15. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Minus the Mario Style Powerups, I agree.

16. ravenousgames

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I will update this post when the game is released!

17. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Will you be making an ipad version or maybe a universal app?

18. ravenousgames

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    @cranker: We are absolutely making an iPad version. The game was originally designed for the iPad and we are working right now on making it a universal app. Started the iPhone/iPod touch port this past weekend.

19. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    This is going to make many people happy!

20. ravenousgames

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    We sure hope so. We've finished the iPhone port, and are now working on compatibility with older devices. Should be submitting for approval in about 1 week!