Devs. don't encourage lurkers!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by ultimo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    To all the Devs. out here...

Who are so used to leave the promo codes in the threads they create :mad: should avoid it.
    I'd recommend you to ask the TA users to PM you or create a contest.
    Also, all of us do not have access to iTunes or Wi-Fi everywhere :(

If you people want your game to be tested & reviewed correctly, lurkers are NOT going to help.

If you send PMs or create threads asking for email addresses & add them to the list of your promo code distribution, will help.

Mods. If you find this appropriate, please encourage devs. to follow it with the Admin mode tht you hav access to :D

2. IKnowHow2Fly

IKnowHow2Fly Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    That's the truth!!!
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates this!
    Contests all the way! Give everyone a chance, not just those waiting for the threads to pop up night and day.

3. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    For everyone outside the US - we don't care :) Apart from the incessant noise.

4. rhenzhen

rhenzhen Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    NY, USA
    Yea, i think it's better to make a contest for promo codes, First, it's fun... or to make it easy, First # who requested for promo codes gets it... :D I just can't beat the lurkers. They were born so fast...

5. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    born so fast.... rotflmao

I'd not suggest giving them away on 1st come 1st served basis

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

Trust me a lot of us here could care less what Dev's want to do with their promos....

7. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    You can make a US iTunes account too,

When making an account, just 'change country' to US

Then you can use US iTunes codes (including promo codes)

It's not hard.

8. Nico75

Nico75 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    There have been multiple discussions about this already. This ultimatly comes down to the devs because they can distribute the codes how they want.

9. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    iAgree, PromoCodes are given away to promote their apps.

In this app store economy, when we get to download Toki Tori, HoS & God knows what not for 99 cents @ a given point, its very difficult for Indies to survive, however they must not loose hope & throw away promocodes as garbage.

By doing so, they have no clue who took it & if is going to keep tht app / game for more than 5 mins on their iDevice.

I also understand that the promo codes expire & they can get others in exchange from Apple.

10. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    This has been discussed ad nauseum...
    Devs can give them out how they wish, when they wish, to whom they wish....

If Devs want to post 50 codes for whoever grabs it, so be it.
    If Devs want to have a contest, so be it.
    If Devs want to just PM people without even offering it via a thread, so bet it.
    If Devs don't want to give promo codes, so be it.

Who tells devs how to give away their codes?
    Do you go to Wal Mart and tell them their prices are too low, or they should sell x as a 6 pack.....no, you leave Wal Mart do their business and every other business, you don't tell them how to run it, so no reason to tell devs how they should give out their codes.

/end rant.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I know quite a lot of people that do that, ignorant ******s. Doesn't mean it's right though... doesn't work anyway.

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    If you want it to be tht way, what are you doing in this thread ?

I meant apart from ranting & whining :D
    Why do you PpL oppose so many things, if this does not help you, find something tht does

13. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I'm stating my opinion, in this thread, that devs can do whatever they want. Funny but if you read your original post, sure sounds like more whining than mine.
    In fact, sure sounds like you're opposing what devs do with their codes, not me.....:eek:
    But oh yeah, it doesn't HELP YOU, so I guess your whining is ok then.... :rolleyes:

14. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I agree with Mr. Charley. As much as I hate not being able to get a promo code in time due to people with no lives on here lurking about in Costco sweat pants and thier box of Werther's Originals, I have no say is what THEY want to do. I think contests are the funnest and most appropriate way to generate both a little hype and app promotion, and I don't think first-come first-serve basis promo threads are the best way to spread the word, but if they want to do it, by god they are allowed to do it.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I would like to propose the ultimate solution to the promo code sucking lurker scourge sweeping the land: All developers must send one (1) promo code for any games they post to Ultimo.

Seriously though I don't think developers really care about having their games "tested and reviewed", they just want to drum up some interest. If people are using the codes, they're playing the game, which is pretty much the purpose of a promo code as I understand it.

16. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    So, if you don't get a promo code, the others are lurkers. if you get, that's the way it supposed to be according to you. Did I miss something?

17. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    That sums it up perfectly.

Annoying isn't it?

18. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Just pretend you never knew about promo codes. Most people don't know. As long as you feel like you missed out on something, then the more you and others will complain about the games they're entitled to get for free.

19. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    These threads make me cry inside.

The problem isn't lurkers. How difficult is it REALLY to just register for an account? I lurked for weeks, and then finally, I felt compelled to participate in a certain discussion, so I signed up for an account. It took less than 5 minutes, and now look at me. I have achieved the ever coveted SENIOR MEMBER status, thus fulfilling my erstwhile empty existence.

What this forum needs is not MORE SPAM. For heavens sake, let the lurkers lurk. Because the problem is not lurkers. The problem is a simple reality: There are fewer promo codes than there are promo code grubbers. Lurker, member, SENIOR MEMBER. It doesn't matter what your arbitrary nerd badge says. TA is the biggest iPhone gaming site, and it has a ton of readers. What makes any one of those readers more deserving of a promo code?

20. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Yawn....every month or so another newbie starts a thread with the exact same arguement. Why don't people learn to search before they start new threads?? You've been a forum member for a couple months now, so you should know better. If you would have searched, you'd see that you have offered no additional insight into a topic that has already been discussed ad nauseum .

Are you not familiar with the concept of "forum?" It's a place to exchange opinions and ideas. To question why a member would post in a thread if they don't agree with your opinion is just plain silly.
    And for you to accuse someone else of "ranting & whining?" :rolleyes:
    I'm not even gonna go there! :D