Outwitters by One Man Left Studios [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by OneManLeft, Feb 24, 2012.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    So what? It's not like we're playing for money. The teams don't need to all be perfectly balanced, it's just not that big an issue.

2. kamikaze28

kamikaze28 <a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hundreds/

good old days...

The first time I saw a screenshot of Outwitters, I thought about an old game back in the Amiga days I used to play with a friend - it was also turn based and on a hexagonal grid, but up until now I neither remembered the name nor came around to search for it.

I just found it on youtube: it's Battle Isle by Blue Byte Studios. Here's a short gameplay video.

3. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The teams really only differ in their special unit. It's not like an RTS where you need to worry about the relationships between each and every unit. Sure, some teams are going to have better special units than others, but it's not something I would worry about too much. I'm sure if OML notices that everyone is playing a particular race because it's way too powerful, they'll do something to even it out a bit.

4. OneManLeft

OneManLeft Well-Known Member

The goal is to have a balanced game regardless of the race you choose. If we do find balance issues we'll definitely be changing and balancing gameplay as things progress. That said, each race is designed for a different playstyle to make the matches interesting so some players may more easily wrap their head around the mechanics of one unit but not really quite understand the strengths of another special unit. That, in our minds, is OK because when you do run into an opponent who does use the other units well it becomes an interesting learning experience.

While AI is not impossible, the goal of our game was to create a fun competitive and cooperative multiplayer game. Outwitters is designed as a portable board game more so than a typical single player 'experience'. We could spend months on creating a compelling AI that, in the end, still won't reach a level of fidelity of another human opponent or...you play against random human opponents from around the world and engage in crazy and wild matches.

There's no obligations to chat with others, or interact with them other than playing the game so in the end one can just ignore the human component if they really wanted to.

5. kamikaze28

#45 kamikaze28, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    Having just attended a lecture on artificial intelligence, I feel obligated to tell anyone who cares, that AI is no walk in the park. Especially tuning AI can be quite daunting. In the case of Outwitters you have a few complicating factors:
    • You have to act under uncertainty (fog of war).
    • Unlike in chess where you have to make exactly one move every turn, in Outwitters you can make multiple moves or save them up for future turns.
    These two points increase the complexity of any usable artificial intelligence severely.
    I strongly agree with Onemanleft on this topic - a well implemented online ranking and league system coupled with a low barrier of entry (which is a desired goal as I understand it) is worth ten times the effort to implement an artificial intelligence to accomplish a similar goal.

One argument you could raise about singleplayer is for people who do not have a 100% internet-enabled iOS device. Without having any statistic to support my opinion, I would say that iPod Touch users with limited WiFi-capabilities are quite the minority. And there is still Tilt to Live for those situations ;-)

About balance and IAP teams. I have given this more thought and came to the following conclusion:
    The concept of just having the special unit and the aesthetics of a team be the distinguishing factor is very elegant and low-maintenance concerning balance. But at the same time allows for very flexible gameplay (as far as I can tell from reading everything I could get my hands on).
    Building on top of this, I can see IAP teams working very well.

In conclusion, I have a strong faith in you two. And just to close the IAP team topic from my perspective in a self-ironic way: I'll probably just end up buying every IAP there is to support One Man Left :D

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am the founder of the 450 player Hero Academy League and currently the League's number 2 ranked player. If your still looking for testers, I would be willing to test. I submitted an application.

I'm sure I could also get some of the other top 10 guys interested if you want. Numbers are great, but our top guys will find things that others wont.

7. OneManLeft

We're always looking for a wide range of skill levels for play testing, I'll keep an eye out for your application. We'll be adding in a few more batches of testers in the coming weeks. Thanks!

8. Mitsuko

Mitsuko Member

Apr 3, 2012
    well, seems a good one!
    Like the graphic very much.

9. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Me. Beta. Now.

NAO!

10. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Does this game, or will it once released have it's own offical forum? Also, what happened to all the updates such as videos that were said to be coming for the last couple of weeks?

11. OneManLeft

Yes we do plan on having a community forum for players to find other active players and discuss strategies. As for a gameplay video, still in the pipeline :).

12. kamikaze28

Said forums are now public: http://www.onemanleft.com/forums/

13. OneManLeft

Just a heads up for everyone that Outwitters is scheduled to launch July 5th!

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Awesome! Great news, thanks :)

15. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Looking forward to it!

16. OneManLeft

#56 OneManLeft, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    We're doing an iPhone and Android beta for a rather large Outwitters update:

- iPhone 6/6+ support
    - Cross-platform play
    - Support for blitz play (be able to stay in-game and bounce turns back and forth in real time)
    - higher frame rates
    - a bunch of other minor improvements

Interested? Sign up for your respective platform to get beta access!

17. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009

Signed up, iphone 6+

18. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I remember this one, think I signed up but I'm on the air 2 not 6

19. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Loaded up the beta on my 6+

Game won't load into a game, says I need a connection to the Game Center (won't connect)

The news page is off centered

Some initial impressions. I'll keep trying to get it to load in

20. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Is there any possibility that this game will have a single player mode (against AI)?