Assassin's creed: altair's chronicles vs. assassin's creed 2 discovery

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lurtz6, Jan 15, 2011.

1. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Hi. I'm new here, so to start off, i have a question. which game do you think provides the better assassin's cred experience. Personally, im leaning towards assassins creed 2, what about you guys? :)

2. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    2 games with 2 different game play

altair chronicle has more console like experience like combat and parkouring but it is VERY VERY linear and there isn't many ways to play each level, every level can be described as going from left to right.

assassin's creed 2 discovery is a side scrolling platformer with crazy exaggerated parkouring such as jumping 500m into the air. the combat is similar to the console but it's from a 2.5D perspective, it's very easy but satisfying when u pull off a counter attack or assassination.

discovery has better voice acting and plot and altair chronicle has average voice acting(blame gameloft) and ok plot. Discovery is for a more casual experience and has extra contents and altair chronicle is a little more hardcore

i played both n i prefer discovery

3. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #3 gospel9, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    Don't pick up AC2 for iOS. It has by far the worst platforming experience I have come across in years of playing video games. AC2 iPhone literally redefines what "you will fall down to your death by accident" to a whole new revolutionary level of frustration.

It's very disappointing because some of the stealth missions were actually very fun, apart from the lame platforming.

I loved the console versions of the series but never played the first one. But from what I have seen, it doesn't look anything like the console versions at all. They should have ported the PSP game over imo.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I know it's an annoying thing to say, but if you are falling to your death by accident in AC2, you just don't know how to play the game. The platforming in AC2 can be some of the most exhilarating on iOS, but it has a learning curve. It also pays to be particularly observant as you leap.

Not criticizing your gaming kills, gospel9 -- there are plenty of games that never clicked with me, either.

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Definitely Altair's Chronicles. It was fun and unique and it doesn't feel like most gameloft games nowadays.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Both are alright, but neither are too spectacular. The first one is more fun in my opinon, but the second one gives a bigger thrill.

7. RoadRunner123

RoadRunner123 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Assasins Creed Altair Chronicles. I have both, and the first one was fun but AC 2 was just fustrating, and boring.

8. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Whoa! thanks for all the feedback guys!

9. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #9 gospel9, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

I have played up to the end of the 8th chapter before deleting the game. Sure it had some fun moments and indeed it had some learning curve to get used to, but in the end I just decided that it wasn't worth my time. I have gotten very used to the controls and spent a lot of time practicing, but it's like, even if I had to replay the game I would end up making mistakes here and there ever so often. What I can't forgive is how the game is so incredibly unforgiving on your mistakes. If you don't hold-on to the slider 100% to the right, for example, you will miss many of the high jumps, occasionally resulting in a death or being late in a race. While running towards the right direction there's enough room to see and time your jumps more precisely, but running to the left is a whole different story because your thumb would be blocking the area of the screen that's suppose to help you time your jumps. Should you miss even slightly so or timed your jumps 0.5 second early or too late, or even a random arrow accidentally knock you out while climbing, you'd be back at the checkpoint. I couldn't even count the many times how I fell all the way down simply because I pushed the slider 1 mm too much when trying to hang off of a ledge. I mean, seriously why not just give us a context sensitive button to hang off a ledge (like the console game)? It also doesn't help how Enzio refuses to grab onto walls while falling most of the time, unlike the console games.

The console games, on the other hand, are far more forgiving. You can practically hold onto the jump button most of the time to do 95% of the jumping in the games. Why can't they make the iPhone controls more forgivable than the console versions, considering how dumbed down the game is, is just beyond me. It's really as if they tried to put an analog control on a touchscreen, but even worst, an analog slider that blocks the screen, requiring more precision than most console games.