Metadata being rejected by Apple...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Every Mac App we have submitted (reviewed after June 1) has come back with this email for the metadata being rejected. So I guess it warrants a discussion.

Jun 4, 2012 08:19 AM. From Apple.
    This app uses one or more entitlements which do not appear to have matching functionality within the app. Please use the Resolution Center to specify the functionality within the app that uses these entitlements.

com.apple.security.print
    com.apple.security.assets.pictures.read-write
    com.apple.security.assets.movies.read-write
    com.apple.security.files.downloads.read-write
    com.apple.security.network.server
    com.apple.security.personal-information.calendars
    com.apple.security.device.microphone
    com.apple.security.assets.music.read-write
    com.apple.security.personal-information.location
    com.apple.security.network.client
    com.apple.security.device.usb
    com.apple.security.personal-information.addressbook
    com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-write
    com.apple.security.device.camera

Can anyone clarify the process of fixing this issue so we can resubmit the apps without resubmitting the app?

Any help would be appreciated. Also I think a lot of developers are going to be getting this message so a clarification will help a lot of us.

2. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    Are you sure you didn't change any code or project environment values prior to June 1st?

I dont have any experience with Mac Appstore but by the sound of the email message from Apple, you just need to clarify to them which of those features your app uses based on the info declared in your app's entitlements.

Have you tried using the Resolution Center yet?
    I'm sure it would still be a lot quicker than resubmitting the whole app for review

You could try contacting Apple directly to find out why they are flagging this error.
    In the past Apple have got back to me with useful replies and further details when I asked them to clarify why my app was rejected

Good luck, sorry I cant help you anymore than this :)

3. Syndicated Puzzles

We tried commenting on the entitlements but they sent the same email back witn no explainations or advice. We are digging to figure this out.

4. Syndicated Puzzles

Your first sentence intrigues me. We did change stuff before June 1. All the apps that are being rejected were submitted before June 1

5. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    Ha yes, I did say I had no clue with regards to Mac OSX development, iOS is my forte :D

I did a little searching and found this
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57444680-263/apples-sandboxing-restrictive-for-some-applications/

6. Syndicated Puzzles

follow up message from Apple

Jun 4, 2012 10:02 AM. From Apple.
    Hello, and thanks for the clarifications.

If you wish to use a new entitlements file that limits your app to only the entitlements it uses, please upload a new binary with only those entitlements.

That was the sentence we were waiting for. So simply if your Mac App doesn't use that you have checked off the app will be rejected and you need to upload a new binary to get the entitlements to match the app 100%.

Hopefully this will help others

7. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Could you explain this a bit more. I do release Apps on the store but they don't use a lot of specific Mac stuff (as they are from my multiplatform engine).

So, what are these entitlements thingy exactly? It is a bit confusing. Do we need to add something to our future updates?

thanks

JC

8. Syndicated Puzzles

Basically a form

You have to make check marks on a form telling exactly all entitlements your app is accessing. If you make a check mark on an item that your app isn't accessing your app will get rejected. The issue we had was the procedure. We couldn't figure out what to do since they asked us for new Metadata but in fact they wanted us to reject and resubmit the app because we checked off functionality that our app doesn't access.

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    sometimes i wonder why devs do not read the documents apple makes avaiable to them..

the first sentence of apple said it clear why one or more apps where rejected

This app uses one or more entitlements which do not appear to have matching functionality within the app.

you are "enabling" security related features which you not use..

question is why you would even do such a thing since it makes no sense just to require every entitlement ... this (sorry if i am wrong) looks like a lazy programmer switching everything on because he can't be bothered todo a propper job..

thats like saying you need gamecenter on an ios game without actually implementing any game center functionality.. just makes no sense.. and therefore is rightfully rejected

i assume syndicate your not the programmer .. but the guys you are employing should know this. If not i would highly question their abilities.

10. Syndicated Puzzles

Mr Ugly you are always right to the point. It is the first time we sandboxed large apps like Lock Screen the app reaches into almost every entitlement possible. The thinking was check all boxes and be safe. But that wasn't the issue. The issue was we did explain our position and what was being used but Apple sent us the same email asking us to submit the metadata but in fact they wanted us to resubmit the app. After the third email they asked us to reject the apps and re-submit.