Bethesda's "Game Announcement?"

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LordCrom, Mar 8, 2009.

1. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

On Friday nights Gametrailers TV, Bethesda Studio's Todd Howard was on with show host Geoff Keighly discussing a "surgery mini game" that was cut out of Fallout 3 Geoff asked the question, "Fallout surgery for iPhone, because you are making an iPhone game you announced?" Todd Howard's response was, "It wasn't quite an announcement it was more of an off hand comment. We are looking at the iPhone, we just love that device."

Your thoughts?

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Hmmmm, A surgical mini game could work on the iphone, (Dr. Awesome?...)
    But it sounds like he didn't give any big idea as to if this is what they are really making for the iphone... Man Fallout 3 kicks ass...:)

3. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Sounds like back pedalling a bit until they are ready to make the official announcement later on.

4. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Even though it is Bethseda I hope they dont put out a Dr.Awesome like game....those are getting really old ---like the labrynth games----then need to do something new and awesome ----just not Dr.Awesoome like.

5. Desparobo

Desparobo Active Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I don't want a mini game ported over from fallout. I'm looking for elder scrolls, full fallout or an entirely new title. But a watered down version of a great game ( MGST ) or the port of a mini game taken from a great game? Come on use the phone to it's full potential. Someone! Please!

6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I agree with you on this. Another surgery-type game doesn't sound very original, and honestly I was expecting a little more from these guys. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

7. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

id like them to make an original rpg like game, or make a new one from the fallout or TES series. i would rather not have a game like oblivion or fallout 3 on the ipod as i know it would not be great. they could make a fallout game in the original style. that would work quite well on the ipod

8. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    My thoughts? As the quote says, "It wasn't quite an announcement it was more of an off hand comment" ;)

9. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

I don't believe Todd or Bethesda were thinking of making the surgery game from Fallout 3 for the iPhone. That was just a way Geoff was able to transition into questioning about the iPhone game they had mentioned before.

I was just surprised by the fact it sounded as though Todd was backpeddling on the concept of a "game announcement" for the iPhone. Caused me to think it wasn't a real project yet they had already put a lot of time and development into.

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Hrm.

If it's not an RPG I'm going to be really disappointed. I had high hopes when I heard the big B was going to develop for the iPhone. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are some of my favorite video games ever made. They are the masters of RPG and I'd love for them to stick to their craft :)

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Well...Dr. Awesome really isn't a surgery game, IMHO. It's a Qix based game. That Cartoon Network Adult Swim game for the iTouch/Phone is a surgery game.

But, yeah...I can see them putting a mini game on this thing. More in depth RPGs are possible, sure. But... would it make as much profit as sticking a Fallout branded surgery game on this thing that can be made on the cheap and sold on the high end (for iTouch/Phone games)? Unfortunately this is a business, so I can see Bethesda doing a one off type deal.

12. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Well I think that porting over old PC would be quite easy. The costs are low if you do not have to print manuals, disk and you also avoid all shipping costs as it is distributed via the appstore. So you make a lot of profit with almost no money needed for advertisement and distribution. The games are cheaper but you get alot more profit. IMO ---could be totally wrong through.

13. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    It's probably a pipe dream, but I'd have loved to see TES: Redguard on the iTouch. By all accounts it was a good adventure game in this great setting, that was doomed to obscurity by quirky (at the time) technical requirements.

Now, ports of original Fallouts with minimal changes to make them iTouch compatible would be brilliant, but IIRC Interplay still has rights to those... and it is not in position to actually make anything.

14. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Exactly!

15. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
  16. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  17. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
  18. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Here's the problem-- the AppStore has not yet proven to larger publishers that it can return on the investment that such a game would require, a game in a genre that lacks mass appeal (sorry RPG fans). You're confusing an unwillingness to spend large amounts of money to bring such a title to a volatile, unpredictable marketplace with simply not playing to the iPhone's potential.

Take a look at what Bethesda's mobile game sister studio Vir2L Studios has already done with the Elder Scrolls license and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Remember, there is a HUGE difference between the amount of financial risk that a couple of guys in a garage take on to create the game you're describing as opposed to a larger studio with all sorts of financial overhead that gets factored into development before the first line of code is written. Gameloft seems to be one of the few developers that is willing to push the technology and tackle games with a larger scope on the platform, but they've also been honing the moble games business model for years.