Seniority

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by lurtz6, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    #1 lurtz6, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
    Today, I posted my 100th post, and found out that I was a senior member. While I was pleased by this, I was also a bit overwhelmed. Does anyone else think that you beome a senior member too fast? I think it should be after 1,000 posts, so we can tell who the true dedicated fans of Toucharcade are.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think you're right. In the earlier days of the forum 100 would have been a good number, but given how many members there are today and how many new members sign up daily it seems appropriate for the bar to be raised slightly higher.

That said, I think the bottom line is no one really cares. Although I do recall Devilishly_Good and myself requesting Ninja status at 5000 posts... guess whether or not we got it.

3. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Lol, your right, no one cares. I just thought I'd put that out there in case anyone cared. At all.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    There are the membership groups: "member", "senior member" and "grampa", but only Arn and Hodapp are in the last group.

5. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Yeah its not fair since, people with like thousands of posts are the same rank as people with a hundred

6. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

The elitist in all of us would love for there to be more ranks :)

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    +1......as you can see it's not very difficult to achieve a high post count by posting a few hundred of these or anything similar. And someone is to "out rank" other's because of it?........ha:p

I will say it again (and again:rolleyes:) it is the quality and worth of the post that counts. Not needless garbage to make one feel superior.
    Most high counts are from heavy debates and flame wars and maybe there's a few that are legit but for those that want to carry a badge of elitism from spam won't carry any weight with me. We all like to post but for people solely intent on the mistaken idea of moving up in a rank from this are only fooling themselves along with clogging up needless space from it.
    We all like to post and joke around at times and which I've done as well but for the spammers intent on wanting a high post count then I'm simply not impressed.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I suspect the reason "Senior Member" is kept so low is specifically to avoid elitism ;)

9. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    Hahaha read that and thought gamefaqs. I wouldn't mind ranks to achieve. I just reached 2000 karma over there. I'm an ancient or zen god or something. I barely post their. But I'm on these boards like they give me vital nutrients....

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm at 1632, Idol. I hardly post there anymore either, I just browse for answers these days. Eventually you just get tired of the hostility.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #11 Vovin, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

Yeah, it's good that the hostility here is most times on a low level, you smart a... Err... I mean, buddy. :D

In fact, I heard that the TA forums changed to really peaceful after somebody got moderator status... :rolleyes:

12. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I think it should go by join date :cool:

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Then we'd be overestimating your usefulness ;)

14. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Or it would say that I don't have the time to make a post in every thread, but I have been gaming on my iPhone for 3 years so I know a bit about it :)

And am I sensing a little bit of hostility here? :p

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I wish turning off post counts didn't require installing third party forum plugins.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    No, I just figure if you've been here that long with so few posts maybe you don't provide much feedback on the games you play. It's all very well being experienced in the field but the best part is sharing the knowledge!

17. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Since your moderation abilities never change as a member of the site,
    (some forums after a rank promotion allow you to delete your own posts)
    then it doesn't really make any difference what rank you are I guess.
    If I'm wrong on that, then I sure noticed no difference between Jr. and Sr.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You're quite correct. The most you could get out of it would be bragging rights, but if you tried that Hodapp would soon step in and shut you up :)

19. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ur argumnt is ivnalid i hav more posts thn u lolollloolp;;p;l

20. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    All you've done is proven my point. Thanks!:)