Is infinity blade 3 really so big?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Borgqueenx, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Im at the ark now. Other areas are really really small....there's only one path to chose at every location and thats it.
    Will you unlock for example the whole vault of tears later or....?

Thanks.

2. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    So unless you struggle with the concept of object permanence you've seen that it's a bigger game than its predecessors, yes?

3. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    If this is it, then the world is maybe double the world size. This is not how chair introduced the game.

4. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Huh? :confused:

If a two-year-old was learning that the puppet still exists when it goes behind mom's back, sure, but...?

If IBI & IBII still exist even though you're not playing them, IBIII is somehow bigger?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Piaget, but this conflation is a bit confounding...

DBC

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Five star response!

What I had in mind was something I don't remember the precise term for but was something in pre-operational thought that allowed children to accurately evaluate the size of something. That is to say, for example, that they'd be able to judge a cake's size three-dimensionally rather than by the area of one of its surfaces; kids love a square cake. While I think this is something that occurs later than object permanence, that's what sprung to mind as a cognitive marker. The kicker, however, is that I don't think most adults are very good at appraising size either.

6. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    All my wut.

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Are you a psych major? Cause I'm a psych major and this is a great discussion. And yes, we've effectively derailed this thread

8. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Now that actually makes more sense. ;)

It's been a while since my adolescent development classes (oh God, has it been a while...), but I think you're referring to his theories on "Conservation?"

It's a bit of a stretch, but much more palatable than OP... :p;):D

DBC

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    You're right. I was thinking of conservation. Not a very good term for the concept though, is it? That's why I forgot the name and chose a concept that I actually remembered that had a label that makes its meaning evident.

What's interesting about evaluating the size of a game is that it's more of a four-dimensional pursuit and therefore is derived from cues that can't be broken down into simple sensory input. So I don't think my mention of object permanence was that far off since most of a game's content exists entirely in a person's memory even when they are playing it. Probably the most frustrating inaccuracy I see people make is judging a measurably short RPG to be longer than a measurably long RPG on the basis that it was more possible to get lost in the short RPG. That's like saying Contra is a long game because some people just can't beat it in any amount of time.

As far as IBIII goes, it does have considerably more content than IBII does even if you fall prey to the illusion of scope caused by overlapping paths leading to up to a handful of events that take you back to the start. So, unless the format of IBII were to overwhelm someone with options, they should objectively be able to see the considerably larger scope of IBIII.