iPhone Ticket to Ride - (by the devs of 'Small World for iPad')

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 17, 2011.

1. ASFx

ASFx Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    And i'll assume that you've never played an Asynchronous multiplayer game before and don't fully understand the concept.

If they've already said it's not going to happen, well then that's sad.

2. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I cannot imagine asynchronous multiplayer being fun at all for this game. Waiting several hours for someone to draw 2 cards just doesn't seem to make sense for a game like this. I doubt many people want that future. A game takes about 30 minutes to play, there is no need to drag that out over hours or days.

3. CareyCondor

CareyCondor New Member

May 20, 2011
    New member here but just got my iPad and been waiting for this app, so this thread drew me out. I gotta agree on the 'no' to asynch multiplayer. For Civ you start tedious but build up and with Carc every tile placement counts. In asynch multi you're waiting for something important, and TTR is a great game but even the last moves from a player can be useless card or secret ticket draws.

Pass and play could work though, it would just take some creative thinking.

Either way this conversion is great! I just gifted a copy to my friend in the hopes that he'll get into it with me, though he's never played the board game so hopefully the speediness won't turn him off. Also, the station clerk system is confusing even for me. Can anyone tell me how to get the expansions at all? I'm at a loss...

4. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Agreed. It's such a no-brainer. Oh well, maybe we'll get pass-and-play at some point...

5. DavidGQ

DavidGQ Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I have to agree. Will take wayyyy too long to have asyn option for multi players.

Played a lot since I dl earlier and love it!!

6. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Mentioned this to a co-worker and he bought it. He let me try it out and I played with the tutorial turned on. It was pretty fun! Though it took me about halfway through the game to finally start realizing some strategies. But once I started understanding the game it seems quite interesting. It is definitely on my list to pick up and I'd love to check out how the expansions change things. Might pick this up tonight or tomorrow.

7. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    @cprloe: I came across this game being described as a 'Gang of Four' clone the other day and while I have no interest in it myself (I have never played Gang of Four) I thought that you may find the info useful...

http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/id396382962?mt=8

(My apologies to everyone else for going off topic for a moment.)

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #128 crunc, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
    Gang of Four is too much like poker for my tastes. But i'd buy it anyway, just to throw in my support... plus I'm sure I'd grow to like it more. I've only played it once. :)

I haven't yet tried TTR online. I expect to get in my first online game sometime this weekend. I've been so busy this week and tonight I've got friends coming over for real board games, including TTR. Probably will play online on Saturday, though. And no, I don't think asynchronous would provide a satisfying experience in this game and I'm pretty positive that that's why DoW isn't going to include it. You'd end up with lots of reviews saying the game is slow and boring, which is precisely not what this game is. It's fast paced and fun. I do want pass-and-play, though.

I'd like to see some more DLC, like Märklin, Nordic Countries and Alvin and Dexter. I haven't played any of those, but the more the merrier IMHO.

9. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Well, I did end up buying this last night. I am thrilled with it. After two games I decided to buy the Europe expansion. That looked like the most game changing of the bunch. It was tons of fun. Looking forward to playing some more. I have only played against AI so far. When I added a 2nd AI, the game's pace felt slower, but the challenge seemed to pick up.

Is the 1910 Expansion an interesting twist? The three versions didn't appear all that different from the main game. What does it mean for 1910 Classic when it says "all the tickets you were used to in the base game have changed here!" In their example image, the ticket just looks different, but it's still Calgary->Phoenix for 13 points. Is it just different looking tickets or are some routes different, too?

10. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

Thanks for the heads up, Funambulist! I will check it out.

11. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Gang of Four is worth a quick off-topic jaunt: it's a fun little game.

On-topic:

1. Ticket to Ride rocks;

2. It does not need any sort of asynch component;

3. For anyone interested, remember that DoW said the expansions will only be 99 cents for a limited time.

4. For old-school players: does anyone think the AI has been improved? I've actually gotten blocked a couple of times, and it never used to be smart enough to do that. Also, it just seems better in a very vague, general way.

12. TheDukester

1910 is great ... and it's a steal at 99 cents. Big Cities and the Mega game are my two favorite ways to play TtR.

As for the changes to the tickets: four routes had their point scores reduced, and there's 35 new routes in all. The Globe Trotter bonus is also introduced (bonus points for completing the most routes).

If I was to limit myself to just one expansion, it would be 1910. A lot of players would disagree and say get TtR: Europe, and that's fine. I'm just not that enamored with the tunnel rules, myself.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I like the 1910 expansion a lot too. I prefer to play the original game with that expansion. But I like Europe a ton too. I haven't ever played Switzerland, so of course I bought it and will check it out. I haven't had a chance yet. I hope they'll be adding more of the TTR games/expansions in future DLC. I'd like to try them all.

As far as the AI... I haven't won a game yet, so I guess it's pretty good... or I'm not so good. Probably the latter. :)

14. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

For $3, I think it's a no brainer to go ahead and buy all of the expansions. They are all unique and add different strategy twists to the basic game.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    My finger is hovering above the buy trigger but two big questions:

1) How's the AI? One thing that sounds a little disappointing to me is that it sounds like their playing style is right in their name...I mean if one AI is called something like "Mr. Direct" don't you already know exactly what to expect from him or can they sometimes throw in some unexpected moves?

2) Again, since I plan to just play solo vs. AI, does the game do any sort of statistic or highscore tracking?

16. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I have played a bit and mostly the standard map, and the AI is decent. Better than games like gold, but inferior to small world, where I get trashed all the time. nevertheless, I am enjoying and I still have to play with 3 and 4 AI.
    I just wish it was more like carcassone in variety and control of AI.

17. TheDukester

1. It's not quite that easy. I don't even look at the bot names any longer; they are sort of vague and meaningless. What, exactly, is a "Nebulous Bot," for example?

Also, there's enough destinations and routes on the map to keep everyone guessing. Even if they made a bot called "San Francisco to New York," it would still be difficult to block all of its available routes.

2. Yes, it will track all of your solo high scores. Also, if you ever take the plunge into online games, your wins, losses, and ELO rating will be tracked in a separate listing.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The AI seems pretty good to me, as I noted, but the game is focused on online play. After 2 AI games it suggests that you should now play online. I ignored it, and played another AI game, but I'll dive into online this weekend.

19. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Just to support the developer. Bought it and the 3 expansions.
    Now need to find the time to play it... still have 30+ apps that I didn't touch yet, and see them all on sale now... Guess happens when you addicted to hit that "Buy" button... little numbers adding up quickly..

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Knowing my great prowess I might get a warning to the effect, "Oh God, uhm, I strongly implore you NEVER to bother with online play as you'd simply embarrass yourself and others. Here, have another go at the AI that we will now greatly handicap to give you a fighting chance, LOSER." :D