Best of 2012 - Forum Edition

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by retr0spective, Dec 30, 2012.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings,

Touch Arcade recently posted its Best iPhone and iPad Games of 2012 Roundup collecting all of the game category lists recently created by their talented staff. While I believe that they have done a magnificent job of highlighting and showcasing the year's best gaming apps, I could not help being surprised at the inclusion of some titles, and the exclusion of others.

I would like to invite interested forum members to contribute their own lists of the best games of 2012 using the TA categories as a model, or by adding your own categories. This would be an excellent opportunity to bring to our attention some of your favorites that you feel may have been overlooked or under appreciated. The existing categories are as follows:

Free-to-Play
    Group Gaming
    Strategy and Defense
    Ports
    Pinball
    Shoot-em-ups
    Racing
    RPG and Adventure
    Hill Climbers
    Endless Runners
    Fighting Games
    Platformers
    Shooters
    Puzzle and Word
    Action
    Arcade
    Miscellaneous

I look forward to reading your personal picks.

2. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #2 defred34, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    Free-to-Play: Heroes Call, Megatroid, Beach Buggy Blitz
    Group Gaming: NA
    Strategy and Defense: Anomaly Korea, Autumn Dynasty, Total War Battles
    Ports: Bastion
    Pinball: NA
    Shoot-em-ups: Vritra (but I really don't play many of these)
    Racing: Beach Buggy Blitz, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Asphalt 7,
    RPG and Adventure: Lili, Heroes Call, Horn
    Hill Climbers: NA
    Endless Runners: Zaxxon Escape,
    Fighting Games:
    Platformers: Polara, Rayman Jungle Run, Nihilumbra, Waking Mars, Totem Runner, Gear Jack, Skyrider
    Shooters: Mass Effect: Infiltrator, Nova 3, Shadowgun: Deadzone,
    Puzzle and Word: Splice, Angry Birds Space/Star Wars
    Action: Bladeslinger
    Arcade: Funky Smugglers
    Miscellaneous: Devil's Attorney (I do not consider this as an RPG), Demons' Score

***Just because a game is listed doesn't mean it is a very good game in my eyes. The ones in BOLD are the creme de la creme.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

4. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
  5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Not only that, "...or by adding your own categories." essentially means this isn't following the format you guys used for the front-page articles, and thus makes this thread entirely pointless.

6. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings Eli,

When I read through the introductory discussion on that thread it seemed that the intention was to select a single Game of the Year from everyone's contributed Top Ten List. The proposed aim here was to contribute a series of personal best of category lists. The two separate aims can be characterized as exclusivity vs. comprehensiveness. Of course, I have a significant amount of respect for your judgement, so if you feel that this thread is inappropriate or distracting from the Forum Game of the Year activity, please feel free to scap it. As you can probably tell from my signature, I simply enjoy categorizing and making lists.

Take care, and thank you for your efforts at providing such a tremendous service to iOS gamers through the TA website and forum.