Agile Forces news

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Phi6, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    A couple of threads regarding Mecho Wars and Advance Wars has mentioned Agile Forces but I think this deserves its own thread.

Basically this came out back in the jailbreaking 1.1.4 installer days, and was a pretty good game, almost a full Advance Wars clone.

Screenies:

http://www.agilemobile.com/ipafscreens.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I recently emailed the developer about it and I got this reply:

Code:
    Phi,

Agile forces should be available in the appstore in the next few weeks.  I will be sure to keep you posted.

BR
    Seth
    Mecho Wars probably raised a few alarm bells for Agile, so this is good news, I am looking forward to this!

2. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    This will be awesome, though what little time management skills I have might fly out the window when I have both this and Mecho Wars on my device :D

3. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    mecho wars seems like a must buy for me.
    this one? not really.

4. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Mecho Wars looks like it will be great, but I've been waiting for Agile Forces...bring back memories of me cutting class and playing video games in computer lab :p

5. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

This is great news, but I'm a little annoyed - for starters, I've sent two emails to these guys and have never received a reply. How do you rate? Second of all, the game was finished and working very well almost nine months ago!! What the **** is taking so long?!

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Aw, they didn't rush this just for you? How rude of them :p Maybe they were just annoyed by your emails and held back on purpose :D Just be happy it's coming. That's all that really matters now.

7. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    Ahh finally its back. I've been playing that back in the days..till they removed it from the Installer for a period of time. Its probably not as appealing as it used to be in the current market (rich options)

8. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Rush this out? The game was completed nine months ago. How could anyone possibly consider a release at any time since then 'rushed' ?!

As for my emails, whatever. The first one (sent last September?) was very polite and obviously came from a fan and guaranteed customer. The second, sent this week, was more to the point. hehe ... In any case, I'm still looking forward to the game and I'll probably still buy it, but my opinion of the devs behind it has soured considerably. They're either lazy or incompetent to have dragged their feet for so long on a potential goldmine like this (so I guess you can add 'ignorant' to the list, too) and the fact that there have been no updates or news from them in nine months shows just how little respect they have for their customers. Or at the very least, how out of touch with the community they are.

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, two things might have delayed the game:

1. They had to change some lines of code so as to fall within the specified guidelines of the Apple SDK. There are quite a few games that were developed for jailbroken devices before Apple released the SDK (or, later, because the development was already underway for jailbroken devices or for other reasons) that don't abide by Apple approved methods. So, that may have been an issue.

2. Apple's approval process is sometimes quite lengthy.

Just because the game is "done" for jb doesn't mean it's "done" for the App Store.

10. crapz1967

crapz1967 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Yep, you're right! Was one of the best games in that days ;), enjoyed it a lot.

11. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Do you think Mavis really really wants this game? :)

To spiffyone's point, there are apps that are stuck in Apple review purgatory. I've spoken to devs who have submitted apps that take weeks and months to approve, and this is after having to resubmit multiple times. Most of the time, it has little to do with the devs and more with the reviews process.

12. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

True, but the SDK has been available for a year now. The game was released on Installer ten months ago (May, wasn't it?) so they've had plenty of time. But you're right, it probably was a factor in the delay.

That's true. But it doesn't change the fact that the devs are unable or unwilling to communicate with us lowly customers. ;)

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Or here's another option: maybe it just hasn't been a priority for them. Unless everyone that owns the pre-App Store version of Agile Forces paid for it, then I don't see that the developers had any obligation to provide information about what was going on with the product. Besides, you said yourself - "potential" goldmine. There's never a guarantee that things will sell in the App Store, and maybe they just haven't felt the desire until now to test the waters. Doesn't really seem like a reason to go all sour on them :D Whatever the case, as long as they support the product once it's official then it's all good by me.

14. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

I have no idea why you're so intent on arguing with me, but for a "Mobile Games Reviewer" you're surprisingly obtuse.

I don't see that the developers had any obligation to provide information about what was going on with the product. - You're joking, right? You don't think it's wise to communicate with potential customers? Of course, no developer is obligated to do so, but it's just common sense. At least, I thought it was. But apparently the concept has eluded you (and Agile Mobile) ... :rolleyes:

Besides, you said yourself - "potential" goldmine. There's never a guarantee that things will sell in the App Store ...
    - Here's another gem. Basically you're saying that because there's no 100% guarantee that an app will rake in tons of dough, developers should just take their sweet time and maybe get around to releasing their already completed apps if and when they feel like it? Look at the response to Mecho Wars - lots of people clamoring for a turn-based-strategy fix. In case you (or the Agile Mobile devs) hadn't noticed, there aren't exactly a ton of TBS games to choose from in the App Store ATM. I mean, we're not talking about fart apps or even TD games. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a turn-based-strategy game, done well, would clean up! And considering the positive reviews that Agile Forces received almost a year ago, well ... you do the math. Of course, it's probably easier to see the logic of it if you aren't trying to argue with me over every little point - from an indefensible position, no less. :rolleyes:

15. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    9 months in the works? wow it should be a real killer then..
    we starte Rogue planet (our own advance war like game) back in january only it's coming along quite well, but still I can't imagine what we would have accomplish in 9 month !!

16. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    This argument has devolved into a series of rationalizations on either side, can we drop it :)

17. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

No, I think you misunderstood. The game was finished nine (actually, ten) months ago. The developers have simply been MIA since then. Brilliant, right?

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    How come he gets a nice "I think you misunderstood" and I get a "you're an idiot"? Based on the prior conversation in this thread, I did not realize that the game was ready for the App Store. It was my impression that being available for jailbroken devices and being accessible to the "legitimate" world were not the same thing. If in fact the only thing holding this game up is the fact that they haven't taken the time to submit then yeah, I don't get it either. See how simple that was?

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Again, finished for jb =/= finished in terms of Apple's approval.

They might've used some unauthorized code stuffs (look at the technical lingo from ol' spiffy :D) that gave them some headaches and caused Apple to reject on a few occasions, and/or it could just be in approval limbo.

I have found just off of viewing things in passing that it does seem to take awfully longer for software that was developed for jb prior to the official SDK (or even after) to get approved vs. made on official SDK only releases. But maybe I'm just reading into things too much. Or maybe Apple are just being wankers (not British, but it seems better to use that than "d***s" on this forum) to those that have developed for jb iTouch/Phones.

20. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but it still would be nice if the developers of popular games cared enough about their potential customers to let sites like TA know what's going on with said games ... More than nine months, and still not a peep.