iPhone Alien Frontiers

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordGek, Oct 5, 2012.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #81 sapphire_neo, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    One Alien Tech card can also be discarded to destroy a ship, the one that can remove ships from locations with normal use.

Also FPE, were you playing a 3P game? It's possible that both AI players used the Raiders Post on consecutive turns, stealing both cards from you. And when something odd happens the first thing to do is check the log.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Right about the terraformer. That's why the image of it shows a ship being sucked dry to power the beam.

The Plasma cannon allows you to send an enemy ship to the maintenance bay (returns the next turn) for 1 fuel per ship. However if an opponent has more than 3 ships you can discard the plasma cannon to send that ship to the ship stock (must be repurchased)

Is it possible the AI already had a Holographic Decoy of their own? In the game they SHOULD be forced to take your Holographic Decoy and discard it, but there may be a bug allowing it to choose another card.

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    The diminishing of the ship is not a bug, I was just trying to understand what is happening because I could not understand it.

The holo decoy must be a bug, he had no holo decoy.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    One of the most intriguing games incorporating dice I've seen in a LONG time although it does seem somewhat intimidating, I must say.

5. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I had the same but after a few games the scare goes away.
    Great game ... Looking forwards for more AI personalities and online!

6. HanClinto

HanClinto New Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I did a code review on this today -- I've never seen this happen, and I don't see any possible path in the code where the AI could do that.

http://pastebin.com/Pad49rwe

That said, there's still a possibility that I missed something. What would help me the most is a copy/paste of the game log if you ever see this happen again, and for this to be logged in the public bug tracker for Alien Frontiers.

Thanks a lot -- it is very much appreciated!

I really appreciate the support that you all have shown for the game -- it is very much appreciated! We're really trying to take all of your suggestions to heart. We're really pleased with how far the game has come, and we want to continue the development -- thanks so much for being a part of that!

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    If I see it again I will try to copy the log and send it.

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I bought this when it was released and wasn't able to grasp the basics as quickly as I'd hoped. So it sat for a bit. Earlier today, I hopped on BGG and watched a couple of gameplay videos of the physical version and it just clicked. I went back to the app and I've had a BLAST playing it since. I'm glad that I didn't give up on this, because I could see it becoming one of my favorite BG conversions.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I can't wait for the Factions Expansion they promised for the iOS version as well.

10. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I'm looking forward to that too! Now I'm on a mission to finally understand Dominant Species, so I can start playing that as well.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I thought Clint had said the Factions expansion was not on roadmap.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ahh that sucks. I think at one point early on it was a possibility but perhaps that changed.

13. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I bought this a couple of weeks ago (UK store) and just gone to download it to one of my other devices but it says its no longer on the store! Has it been removed?!

I can't get AppStore app to generate the list of purchases (ios6 bug) so can't get at it any other way! Grrrrrr....

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Wow, you're right. It's not on the US store either. I wonder what's up? I've never had any real issues with it, and luckily it's on my iPad, but it would suck if it's been pulled for any length of time.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It's wide spread. So far I've noticed air display free and even appshopper are just gone from the AppStore

16. Baracus

Damn, that suxus maximus :(
    Hope it comes back soon. Like Metal Slug and some other Dotemu games dissappeared for a few days too. Strange stuff!

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    It could be something simple as a patch submission that inadvertently removes the app from the store (this has been known to happen to some other developers... Wall Street Titan Developer was the recent one I had a conversation with about this a month or so back).

In the meantime, lessons learned, always back up your stuff to PC. It shocks me time and again how it seems few on here seem to back their purchases up to their PC iTunes account. Even if it is a crappy PC with no storage, buy a flash drive on the cheap and back up your purchases and save data. With several thousand apps myself and some of them removed from the store, I always have my backup copy (the recently removed Fighting Fantasy game books come to mind)!

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I thought mine were being backed up until I find out iTunes 11 requires you do it manually now :/

19. Baracus

But... can you backup to iTunes via USB if you are already using iCloud over wifi? Won't it clash somewhere or wipe out your backup preferences (and swap to iTunes / stop cloud backups if you trigger it manually once)?

20. Baracus

It's back in the store now :)