Universal [Old Soft Launch Thread]Fishing Break (by Roofdog Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

2. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Can't wait to try this out tonight

3. Limelight

Limelight Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    To save my city.
    localhost
  4. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I'm not sure if this will release tonight or stay in soft launch. I've been playing it for a few days and while it's an awesome game, the whole "bait" system isn't fun. It's free to cast as much as you want in the goldfish pond, but your only catching goldfish. In order to fish anywhere else, you need better bait which costs 500 coins for 10 pieces of bait. Right now I'm averaging 140 coins every hour or so, but I have to get on the game every hour to collect that 140 coins, so it takes awhile to build up 500 coins to get 10 bait, which goes in about 3 mins because 1 bait equals one cast. Wether you catch a fish or not, you lose that bait. So your choice is to get on the game every hour and collect your money until you hit 500 coins or go in the goldfish pond and catch fish for 10 to 15 coins a fish until you hit 500 coins. Then blow your bait on 10 casts and rinse and repeat.

I'm not bashing the game. It's honestly a really fun game when you get to play, but in the 3 days that I've been playing pretty much non-stop, I'm still on the first main pond and have only collected a third of the fish in there. It just seems like I'm grinding and grinding 10 coin goldfish forever, just to get a couple casts on the main pond. I dunno. Maybe it gets easier later on, maybe it gets harder, but that's where I'm at right now. I'll probably keep on it for a few more days, but I can't see myself doing this much longer. It's a shame because I loved Pocket Mine 1 and 2. Hey, maybe I'm doing something wrong? If I am, please tell me.

Oh, then there's upgrading your pole/line/ect to get bigger fish, but then you run into the debate to either upgrade your equipment and not play for another hour or 2 or grind in the goldfish pond, or buy your bait. Of course, there's always buying the consumable IAPs route.

Ugh! I'm rambling. Lol

5. Gaming_Ray

Gaming_Ray Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Game Programmer at Roofdog Games
    Montreal
    #5 Gaming_Ray, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    One of the devs here.

What you are relating seems very strange, and we'd like to get a better understanding of how you are playing.

There are multiple ways of gathering coins in-game:
    - Collecting fish (each fish you catch gives you coins, and new/best fish give you even more by sending them to the museum)
    - Fish sent to the museum generate coins periodically.
    - Completing missions in a location.
    - Completing collections in the museums.

Completing all the missions in a location will give you a star, stars unlock new locations, with new missions to complete and new fish to catch.

From what I can understand, you seem to be staying in the same location, trying to get all the fish, rather than fishing in the new locations, catching new fish, and completing new missions. Is that right?

Would you be so kind as to share what are your current upgrades, and which locations you have unlocked so far?
    We very much like to help you resolve this situation, and avoid other players falling into the same patterns.

If you'd prefer can also contact support, through the in-game Options menu

Thank you

6. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I Unfortunately have to agree with him. When I first started playing the game I really enjoy it, but after an hour or so I had the exactly same problems. The gameplay and artwork are fabulous, it's a verb very charming game, but all those timers, double currency and Iaps really killed the joy. If only I could pay 5 dollars to have a premium with a rpg system to level up and get new locations. Instead I have to deal with timers, double currency and baits.... I really miss the old time when we were getting premium only for gameboys. Those game were not the best but at least there were no ads or iaps. But if people don't mind about Iaps and timers, then your game is fantastic, a must have.

7. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Kairosoft make great sim games, all premium and none have iaps or ads, so why can't other dev do the same? Your game would be a must have if it was a premium with a Kairosoft system (to level up).

8. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Ok, I think I've figured some things out here. I went and got some "premium currency" and bought a bunch of bait and went into some of the other ponds and started collecting fish. After I caught some different fish, my max currency I was getting from the museum went up to 444 coins from 140ish. That does help out a lot. I wasn't aware that you kind of needed to go to other ponds and collect other fish in order to make more money. (I'm not sure if it was explained in the tutorial.) I was pretty much sticking in the first pond because my guy wasn't strong enough to catch anything in the other ponds. Now that I'm a little stronger (62 attack pts), I'm able to catch more. I'm still not sure if I would have been able to play any differently and come out with a different outcome or not. I may try to delete and start over just to see, but either way, I'm back on track now and collecting a decent amount of money from the museum. 444 coins is still not enough to buy bait, but it's getting close.

I still feel it's a great game and people should check it out. I'd like to see if other players come out with a different outcome than me. I'm gonna keep at it though.

9. Gaming_Ray

Gaming_Ray Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Game Programmer at Roofdog Games
    Montreal
    #9 Gaming_Ray, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    Thanks for the honest feedback.
    Yep, going to new locations to complete new missions, and collect new fish for more coins (and add them to your museum, to generate even more) is a good strategy.

10. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Idk, great game plagued by poor bait and upgrade mechanics imo. Where are the timers? Bc we all kno, I just don't have time for timers. Anymore, the very second I see ftp without iap premium buy out, I freaking cringe and delete.

11. baldeagle86

Dec 21, 2013
    Is there new equipment to gather, or do you just keep upgrading your starting equipment to higher levels?

12. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    This game seemed to miss the normal release time. It should be out by now.

13. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    The game is still in soft launch in some countries (including New Zealand and Canada). The official release date hasn't been announced yet, but it's coming soon! :)

14. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Your starting equipment turns into different pieces of equipment the more you upgrade. Like, such-in-such rod turns into glass rod after its fully upgraded, ect.....and I think all the outfits and characters are from just your daily drops and the premium tackle boxes.

15. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I will say that once I got myself back on track, this game turned out to be a blast. I still feel the bait needs to be tweaked just a little. You tend to burn through it pretty quick, but the game is still just as addictive as Pocket Mine was. I hope to see this game get the same kind of attention as PM did/does with special events and stuff.

16. baldeagle86

Dec 21, 2013
    The only thing I'm having trouble with is the mooching of the special fish, I'll see them eat the one they like then disappear. Is it just a guessing game and hope you luck out? I think once more people play and get a knowledge base going it will just be guess work, super fun game though! I'll add everyone too who posted friend codes so far :)