I recently gone the way of paying for higher priced games..

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Jan 10, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Usually stuck to $0.99/79p or free games.
    But got Dandy, and Sneaky Sneaky, both at $4.99/£2.99 and been very impressed by them, really two quality games.Also bought Active Soccer 2, and Five Card Quest which I was disappointed by.
    Problem of paying high priced games is with so many games having to make a choice. Some overtime at Christmas so splashed out on some steam and itunes games.:cool:

Signed
    -Reformed Scrooge.

2. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #2 thumbs07, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Part of the reason, I started spending more was a mistaken belief that the refund system might be there as backup if you pay out over the odds for a shite game. It stands to reason that if you got protection from buying something bad, you'll more likely to splash out more on higher priced games. Any opinions on this, could be good discussion point. Even if most disagree:)

So two discussion points:
    1) Whats the most you paid on a game?
    2) Should the refund system be there if you dislike a game after playing 5 minutes of it, and don't like it?

3. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Paid $19.99 for XCOM when it first came out. Second most expensive game was probably MHFU. Don't mind spending money if I'm going to get a great gaming experience.

4. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    The most I've spent on a game was £8 for Carcassonne. It was probably a bit too much, but I've been wanting it for years and I'd just been given a £25 voucher.

Prior to that my max was £4 each for Oceanhorn, X-Com TEW and the first two Magic the Gathering games. I definitely got my money' sporty out of Oceanhorn and MTG. X-Com seems well made, but hasn't grabbed me.

I live in Europe where the refund policy you want does exist - but if you use it too much they take it away.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Not quite the same as US, but there have been many postings about Apple not refunding people after some number of refunds.

The "premium" market in the App store is really quite interesting, and particularly for many or most of the small indie games, a few screen shots certainly gives little knowledge to the gameplay.

In the early days of the App store, new studios were the rule, not the exception, and there was a common, TOFTT (take one for the team) here at TA that people would volunteer to purchase an unknown game, and post impressions. It was actually quite successful, and allowed folks to feel a little confident in their purchase. That has largely gone away, but the threads usually have impressions so you should have some confidence in the purchase.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #6 Exact-Psience, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    1. Hearthstone. About $130 to $150... Cant remember the exact totals, but im glad i did. Tis all worth it.
    2. Theatrhythm. Around $40 i think. Mostly for songs, and most of it from a sale.
    3. MHFU. Spent around $35 coz i instabought the JP version first (had to go through crap to get a good deal on JP credits as itunes jp wont accept my PH credit cards) and then instabought MHFU again when they released worldwide.

I wouldnt get refunds for crappy games, but i would request for it for broken ones or scam. This is somewhat a very minor thing to me now though, with the one-purchase-per-week rule active. I made exceptions last christmas sales and bought a few titles (and hearthstone packs w00t!), but since that, havent bought any game for 2016 yet.

7. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    $29.99. Don't remember which, though. But I've bough many on $19.99 range.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Highest amount paid on iOS? Probably the Guitar Hero Live unlock at $50.

Refunds? Absolutely, but not as it is on iOS. On Google Play you have a window of about 2 hours (I think), to cancel any purchase you made. I take a lot of blind leaps on iOS and have no problem deleting shit I don't care for (regardless of price), but if a system like Google's was implemented, man would I save a ton of money. :p

9. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    My favorite premium titles were MHFU, Bioshock, FF 7, Oceanhorn, République, Dead Space, Walking Dead (whole season)... All were great gaming experiences for the most part... Funny how all except Oceanhorn are broken by iOS 9! LOL! The more you pay, the more beat you feel when it's no longer playable.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wait... Republique is broken by iOS9?

11. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Final Fantasy 7 is broken by iOS 9?

12. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    #12 ackmondual, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    I sort of did a mini-review of Castlestorm: Free To Siege here....
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3767205&postcount=2

Spent $5 on the 1-time VIP Gamer IAP. I also ended up buying Castlestorm for Steam/PC at full price for $15. Even though both were fun, I much like the latter even though it costs more, and tethers me to my desktop. I ended up paying for the former through "grinding" anyways.

For iOS, i got a variety of Final Fantasy games for 30 to 80% off. They still cost $4, $8, and up to $11 apiece though. I'm still only partway through Final Fantasy IV, and have not touched the others :( Me thinks I need to just start a new one, even though FF4 was caused me grief!

I bought Carcassonne when it first came out at its introductory price of $5 (USD). It was a nice deal then. I was more so interested in expansion potential. At $5, I took a chance on it. It ended up getting 3+ expansions (Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, Princess & Dragon, etc.), so well worth it! Solitaire mode's interesting too. For those interested, my review of it is still here.....
    https://videogamegeek.com/thread/532641/carcassonne-iphone-os-version-many-photos-review

13. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Sorry to scare you… Final Fantasy 7 is not broken.

Republique is a mess!

14. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I've shelled out for a few Square Enix games, though I tend to wait for sales. I think The World Ends With You is the most I've spent on a game - must have been around £12.99 - but I've also spent chunky sums on MHFU, DQ8, FF Tactics and This War of Mine. I've not got round to playing the last three yet (or FF6 and DQ6) for that matter, but I've never felt shortchanged on such games. Might have spent a bit on Ghost Trick too but that was also superb value.