Any civ building games that aren't childish looking...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mike6432, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Mike6432

Mike6432 New Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Hi there. I have the hankering for a civ like, similar to age of empires, but I've been disappointed for awhile about the style and art direction of the games in the App Store for Mac, iPhone and ipad. Many of the games are immature and childish looking.

Even take age of empires iii, maybe it's the 3d-ness about it and the natural progress of technology that allows developers more artistic freedom, but does no one else find that more and more Ames are just repeats of each other and are some what childish looking? It doesn't mean that these games are childish at all. But that's not what I'm looking for. I recall playing the original age of empires and it didn't seem immature at all. Maybe it was due to graphical limitations back then. Even take the Zelda series for Nintendo. I'm 30 now. When I was a kid playing Zelda 1 or two or even the snes one, it didn't look so childish...maybe I was because I was a child. But I really think it was due to graphical limitations. And honestly, a lot of games now are quite keen on the retro look, I'm a bit tired of that too.

So I'm looking for any civ games that don't look cartoonish and childish. Do they exist? The hobbit game that recently came out doesn't look so bad. But I still have to try it on the ipad, on the iPhone it's too small to be enjoyable.

Thanks.

2. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Can't think of any city building ones off the top of my head. Only decent thing that comes close in terms of the gameplay I think you are after is Starbase Orion, but you aren't building anything tangible really. Good deep-ish game that isn't too much of a childish art style though. Will be keeping an eye on this thread though because I hope I'm missing something too :)