who played Parachute Panic / PP lite?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Future777, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

Hey gang,

we´re looking for some feedback on Parachute Panic.

- Did you reach the end of the lite version?
    - What do you hate about the game?
    - What do you love about the game?
    - Any control issues?
    - Any comments/wishes?

Version 1.2 is almost finished and there is still some time to adjust some things.

Thanks for your time

Future777

2. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I hate that there is no leader board yet.:)

3. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    It would be cool to have different types of parachuters,

4. Future777

Patreon Studio

CHECK - the leaderboard in 1.2 is a dream :)
    Nice idea that could follow in later releases - any ideas for the types?

5. bluecanary

bluecanary Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    USA
    maybe stunt parachute people that do flips. also, have you considered adding a sort of reverse mode where you still deploy the chutes and tap the helicopters, etc but move the ship instead of moving the people?

6. fluffyguitarist

fluffyguitarist Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    it's really hard.... and I'm usually good at games.....

7. Future777

Patreon Studio

So do you think the EASY mode is still too hard? What is the most difficult thing. When you play the Lite, do you make it to the end with your first try?
    Where do you die most? What´s your highscore in EASY/NORMAL?

Thanks, added both ideas to our request-list.

8. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #8 Devilishly Good, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    I have just played easy on the full version and my best score was 82 with my average 43. It seems that there is a point where you suddenly get more parachutists and enemies and I will have zero lives taken and suddenly I'm 3 down, then things settle down and I will get nickel and dimed for the the rest of my deaths.

Can you still destroy a UFO to rescue a parachutist? Example - I have just started to tap a UFO when it grabs a parachuter. It seems that once this happens I cannot then kill the UFO and have the parachuter survive. It is hard to tell though but everything is happening so quickly. I would like to be able to destroy the UFO and have the parachuter continue his fall with a "whew!" sound effect as his life is saved.

I don't like the idea of stunt parachuters doing flips or whatever, there is not enough screen width and I think it would detract from the simplicity of the doodles that makes the game appealing. Instead it would could be interesting to see maybe some fat parachutists or tandem jumpers that that fall faster when their chutes don't open and when their chutes are open. You could also have random chutes that are extra large make make single guys drop more slowly...now they have more time to encounter danger. But even that could be too much, just having the parachuters the way they are now is really nice.

Enemy idea - pteradactyl. Just before it enters the screen you hear it squawk and it will fly straight across and will grab a parachuter in its jaws and fly them off screen with their arms and legs waving. Instead of tapping on the pteradactyl destroy it we can alter it's flight by swiping up or down vertically making it move up or down as it travels across the screen.

I think it would be helpful since after we swipe in a direction we cannot swipe again for a few seconds, if our swipes had a larger push effect. The maximum wind we can create doesn't seem to have that great an effect on their falling direction. This would allow you also to consider putting in a breeze/wind factor on the screen that we have to deal with while trying to land chutists safely.

I'm really looking forward to being able to earn back lives.

9. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    i love the pick up and play part of the game...everything i want is in the next update....

10. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    as much as alternate characters are concerned: maybe just add a few long scribbly lines on each sprite, then... BAM! GIRLS!

also, you could add some "fatties" which fall faster.

I would most like a level system where it has level names, and you can start part way through. Kinda like tetris: 15 levels, and you can start at any one you have unlocked yet.

11. app-inured

app-inured Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Finished the Lite with a score of 39 (also saw the end screen once after resuming an unfinished game), and until that point it doesn't seem to be made clear why I'd want to upgrade. Both app descriptions fail to mention the benefit, and banking on people finishing a Lite that they're finding difficult can't help be helping either.

Personally, if the structure of the full game is as rigid as the Lite then it's not for me. I'm not interested in memorizing patterns in a pick-up-n-play game. Also, were it not for this thread I wouldn't have given the Lite a second look. The art style didn't appeal to me at all, but in motion it's far better, and the audio, for the most part, really does add to the experience -- I just *hate* that game over song! It makes it embarrassing to play.

12. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    ive tried the lite version first and it was a pretty fun game.
    gonna buy full version now :D

13. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    just tried the lite.. played it twice and reached the end both times without efforts (the first time I lost two men, the second time one).
    Nice game, very charming, I don't know if I'll get the full since I've got lots of pick up 'n play...

14. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    i got this game at launch and it is one of my favorite games still!!!

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    +1

Really don't know, what to make better!
    One of the coolest casual time killers.
    Congrats again!

16. Future777

Patreon Studio

Thanks for your valuable feedback so far and thanks for the kind words of people who enjoy the game. We are really interested to nail down the reasons for several 1-star ratings and improve the game further:

We will think over this rule again. Maybe we should add a little boost when a player swipes multiple times into the same direction. It definately helps when you try to follow a ship instead of taking the next one.

The game is actually random in multiple ways..what exactly makes you feel that there are patterns to memorize and which parts of the game do you describe as "rigid" ?

Thanks,
    Future777

17. app-inured

app-inured Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Had a quick go just now on the Lite again to see if I could provide an example, and my initial reaction seems justified. I played the first four levels (I believe they can be referred to as such as they are not random) three times to guage repetitiveness or find a pattern, and here's how it played out:

Lvl 1 had a single boat and a single parachutist, 3 times out of 3.
    Lvl 2 had 1 boat and 2 lots 2 parachuters, 3 times out of 3.
    Lvl 3 had 2 boats and 2 lots of 3 parachuters, 3 times out of 3.
    Finally, lvl 4 had a moving boat and 4 sets of 3 parachuters, again, 3 times out of 3.

That's what I was refering to when mentioning memorization and rigidity of structure.

18. Future777

Patreon Studio

OK, you refer to the levels (difficulty) settings. But you don´t have to memorize anything here. Where the parachutists fall down, where/when/ enemies attack is random. The # of parachutists, which enemies and boat settings are level bound, thats correct (and necessary, to control the difficulty). The later you get in the game the more random it gets with all enemies being able to attack and 3-5/5 parachutists having the parachute closed, etc.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying this.

cheers
    Future

19. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I think the swiping in a direction and then you can't swipe again because it won't respond can be okay, I just think that when we swipe, we need to create a bigger wind effect so a longer swipe will be more powerful than it is now and a shorter swipe will be proportionally less powerful.

The player will then have to judge how hard to swipe in a particular direction to get the parachutist where they want to go.

20. Future777

Patreon Studio

I think in a panic-situation, the controls should not demand for swipe-length decisions because you are just busy bringing them down safely and keeping an overview of the situation. And when I watch youtube user reviews I often noticed that people continue swiping in the same direction again and again, expecting to give their skydivers an additional push. So it seems natural to allow a 2nd speed setting when swiping multiple times (just because most people seem to expect it). Don´t you think?