Will devs for iPad release games for free to people who own the iphone version?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by paulm12, Jan 30, 2010.

1. paulm12

paulm12 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    school
    ummm Cali
    Hey everybody, I was just wondering if developers plan to release their iPad version of a game free to people already owning the game, or at a discount, on a previous device (such as iPod touch/iPhone) as a code or something that allows you to get the other version free or something. I think that would be cool because we have already paid for the game and why should we pay more for a specific version, but not wanting to play the iPod touch version on iPad and vica-versa. Maybe even at a discount, but I'd hate to have to pay twice for all my favorite games just so I could have a slight upgraded version on a newer device. I know you can play most iPhone/iPod Touch games on iPad, but sometimes the controls need tuning and the screen res needs optimizing, so I'm not looking for people to say I'm bitching about a low screen res (even w/ pixel doubling) or controls, I just want to be able to buy a game once and thats it. I am not going to pay $1000 dollars to upgrade all my apps to the ipad when I get one. I know it sounds kinda petty, but I would like to see devs offer their iPad specific version of a game free or at a discount to people already owning the game. Anyone agree? I know it is hard for developers, but please try.

2. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    good question

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  4. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I 'm sure some will, but I'm betting most won't. I's not a case of flicking a few compiler switches and hitting build. It will take some work to properly port most games, and nearly every app will require a secondary UI just for the iPad.

New games/apps might be a different story, but I wouldn't be surprised to see developers start raising prices, or offer separate apps even in this case.

And I'd guess most developers want to stay in business. Unfortunately we don't always get what we want.

5. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    From what I understand, you can play the "iPhone/ iPod" version you've already bought for free on your iPad.

Lets say we decide to release a second game called "Bugs & Bubbles (iPad)", we would probably do an "in-game" micropayment option on the iPhone version such that it costs maybe another $0.50 to purchase the iPad version. Probably we'll add like a large screen mode, or some interesting new tibits in the iPad version.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Definitely the best way to handle this.

7. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    It would be cool to at least get a discount, but --

if I have the Xbox version of a game but also want to be able to play it on my PS3, I gave to buy the PS3 version, they don't give it to me for free.

8. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I'm not counting on it for two reasons:

1) The cost of the developer having to buy an iPad - a simulator only gets you so far in testing, there's ergonomics in gameplay as well that can't be simulated on a PC screen. They'll have to recoup that investment.

2) The time it would take a developer to re-vamp his or her game so it looks and plays good on a bigger screen. Time = money.

I figure every app I have for my iPhone now that translates over well to my future 32GB iPad w/3G would be a "bonus".
    Unlike most people though, I'm willing to pay for quality and polish.
    I'm considering my future iPad more as a remote extension of my Macbook Pro than as a game playing device though.

9. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I would guess not, seeing as the iPad is far more superior. Well, if you're trying to say like a port, then yeah hopefully they'll let it out for free.

However, if it's like NOVA, which Gameloft added a few extra nifty features, then I wouldn't mind paying again for a more enhanced version.

10. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    i dont see any reasion why they would. there may be alot of devs that dont make an ipad version their app and the ones that do would enhance it somehow to take advantage of the ipads attributes, namely its size.

11. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
  12. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Do you have to pay for Left 4 dead on the computer, even if you have it on xbox?

:D

13. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Actually, iPad games will all be free iPhone games, as it is the same file format, on the same appstore.

14. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    What the heck are you talking about? If a game provider charges money for an iPad-only game, you will have to pay for that game again regardless of whether or not you have the same game on your iPhone. The compatibility of the file formats never enters into the equation.

I did think about one critical problem last night, though. Since the iPad will probably require SDK 3.1.2 or higher, there's a good chance that existing games won't be upgraded. Not many iPhone game developers are going to want to cut themselves out of the rather large pre-3.0 market.

15. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #15 c0re, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Gneh ? :eek:

It's been said by Apple that iPhone games will be fully compatible with the iPad : Therefore, games made for the iPad will be compatible for iPhone, unless they use 3.2 SDK iPad specific features.

Just like 3GS over 2G with its OpenGL ES 2.0 ...

It's just a matter of ingame version switching for the dev : if 3GS or iPad, do GLES 2.0, if 2G do GLES 1.1, if iPad do iPad specific features.

But nothing prevents an iPad game (= 1024x768 res) to be made compatible for iPhone (= downscale to 480x320 res). It's just a resolution to be set.

And just like when you put your 3GS game to your girlfriend's iTouch by using your iTunes account (max 5 times), you would do the same on your iPhone over iPad bought apps.

For my part, I'm already producing higher res textures in regard of iPad superior res. Then ingame, I will just switch to 480x320 or 1024x768 depending on the support. It's simple as just one line of code.

Now some devs might reserve their game features only for the iPad, but considering how little gamechanging those "new" features are, I wouldn't recommand that.

edit : unless I misunderstood something ? :rolleyes:

edit 2 : sorry, I forgot most of the games are 2D sprite based, and would have some issues with coordinates and pixel aliasing.

16. Achy

Achy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Horrible comparison.

It's more like if you have an xbox game and upgrade to the xbox 360, then you get to play the game without an additional cost.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Also a bad comparison. How about if you owned the original God of War for the PS2 and happen to own one of the backwards compatible PS3 models. You can either play the original at the low resolution or buy the new PS3 God of War collection to play them in HD.

All games and apps right now will work on the iPad per the keynote. If you want to get iPad-specific versions of your games with higher resolution art and different interfaces, you're likely not going to be getting that for free-- Since, as previously mentioned, there's no "make everything high resolution" checkbox you simply tick off when building in Xcode.

18. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's different. PS3's and Xbox 360's are completely different systems from different companies run on completely different OS's. The iPad is an iPod touch with a faster processer, slightly different software and a big screen.

19. Achy

Achy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    That's probably a better comparison, at least more in depth than mine.

20. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    wow.. you guys lost me.

this is how I see it.

if the app is selling well the dev will probably make a ipad version and not charge.. if its not selling well and if they do make a ipad only version my guess you will have to pay for it. time will tell how this all unfolds. humans sure love to argue.. just to argue. laughs

chris.