Universal Giana Sisters (by Kaasa solution GmbH)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Huh. That's a shame to hear. I already starting the update before I read this, so I hope it didn't erase my save state! It's almost done, so I'll find out soon enough.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

3. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yup. It deleted my save state, too. I think the buttons are a decent size, but the controls definitely don't feel as responsive as I remember.

Hopefully the devs will release another update to squeeze out all the little bugs.

4. Mullet_Mcgee

Mullet_Mcgee Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Puppy
    Sand Zone
  5. This was pretty good.

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    It was one of the best iOS platformers on the platform.

Now it's just "pretty good" :p

7. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Nope, Giana Sisters on iOS and Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams are completely different games. iOS version was made by Kaasa solution GmbH and Twisted Dreams by Black Forest Games (I don’t know if the companies are related in any way). Anyway, GS Twisted Dreams is also a must have if you ask me. I bought the game on GOG a while ago and it is really a great platformer.

Yesterday I wrote an e-mail to the devs, pointing out all of the problems / bugs with this version (screenshots included, because the ‘retro’ levels are totally messed up). This is their response:

“thank you for your feedback and the screenshots.
    We are currently working on the most pressing issues (the controls and the restoration of the game progress) and hope to upload an update to apple today.
    There will be another update in the near future to adress the graphical issues.
    Best regards”

So they are aware of the problems and all we can do is wait patiently for an update (or two;)). The save game loss is not a big problem for me, this is one of my favorite iOS platformers so I don't mind playing it again. But the messed up controls (button size and not very responsive) and graphical bugs are really game breaking. Some of the iTunes reviews mention big slowdowns of animation on iPhone 5 and retina devices, but mine is running perfectly smooth (non-jailbroken iOS 6.1.2)

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    This really does have to be one of the worst game updates I've seen in a long time. I own both the iPhone (now universal) and iPad versions, and there's nothing good about this particular one. The universal version has sacrificed too much for a tiny increase in graphical quality, and is now jerky and seems to play at around 15 frames per second, with severely diminished controls to match.

The iPad version has also been updated, but mostly only in order to introduce a splash screen telling you to buy the universal version, as far as I can tell. Perversely, however, the iPad version is still far superior to the other, with equivalent graphics, fluid high-framerate gameplay, more responsive controls, a more appealing menu screen, and the intro movie and initial transition level intact instead of cut out as they appear to be in the universal app.

The iPad version appears to have introduced a massive bug of its own, however, as all of the levels in the game unlock once you complete the first one, and they don't record whether or not you collected all the red gems, meaning it is impossible to directly track your progress.

9. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Another update came out today.

The good:
    - graphics glitches (especially in the retro levels) are fixed
    - buttons have bigger hit areas and it feels much better now
    - holding the jump button makes Giana jump constantly
    - save game is restored (at least in my game, in iTunes reviews it seems like some people are still having the problem)

The bad:
    - sliding my thumb from one arrow to another doesn't make her turn, I need to lift my finger and hold the other arrow - and it is really a problem. I died a couple of times in a 5 minute session just because of this bug.

So there is a big improvement, but the controls still need to be fixed.

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Retro levels aren't retro, and still have graphical glitches...

Also, whenever I play em, it deletes all of my progress in the game and I have to start from scratch...

11. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Game doesn't save progress. Everytime I close the app I have to restart the game from scratch...

12. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    This is what I'm talking about right here. This game is over 6 years old on iOS and just got an update today. I've had it in my watch list for awhile but just now bought it because I had to support the dedicated developer. Thanks.