What's the benefit of the A7 chip being 64-bit?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klink, Sep 11, 2013.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Can someone explain to a layperson such as myself what's the benefit of creating a 64 bit A7 processor? I know the main benefit in the x86 world is the ability to address up to 256 TB of RAM versus 4 GB of RAM for x86 processors. I don't think we're expecting to see 4GB + of ram on IOS devices anytime soon. Is this marketing hype (aka Atari Jaguar & Nintendo 64) or real innovation?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Real innovation. It brings mobile device CPUs to parity with current Macs/PCs. See Wikipidea for more technical info. Once apps begin to be updated to take advantage of the increase bit depth (and apparently the transition is easy) you should see major leaps in performance.

BTW the "64" in Nintendo 64 referred to bit depth in graphics -- a completely different thing.

3. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    As a developer I have no idea how to take advantage of this I'm guessing it's some pretty low level stuff.

4. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    There is a pretty geeky discussion going on over at Anandtech about this topic. I think the answer is it really depends what exactly Apple added to the A7 processor. BGR also had an article saying basically that Apple is planning for the future when IOS devices will have more than 4GB of ram.

5. skgames

skgames Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2012
    As long as there are lots of iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th users out there, we, developers, can't easily push the graphics to a higher level unfortunately. Some developers take the risk and don't support those devices but having lots of 1 star, because there we cannot say "I don't support iPhone 4" in iTunes Connect.

Long story short, 64-bit does not mean anything to me.

6. lokiman

lokiman Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Vampire
    Principality of Zeon
    64-bit CPU doesn't bring anything "useful" for 99% apps and for 100% games :) Not until we get more RAM top utilize the obvious advantages.

But A7 is not all about being 64-bit - it is about being much powerful beast than (already really good) CPU in iPhone 5. And that is nice ;)

As for me, I am really looking to see what will be the performance of new GPU as games tend to push more pixels than computational tasks :)

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Is the consensus that the faster processor is a shiny coat of pain but ultimately meaningless without higher RAM and due to market/user demands still requiring limitations sufficient for 4G compatibility? That seems deceptive of Apple...

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #8 JBRUU, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    You mean like the "powerhouse" A5X?

Yes. The age of 64-bit phones is eventually coming, and Apple's just getting a head start converting software beforehand. It just has to do with how the system manages RAM when it's over 4gb. In fact, depending on the internals, 64-bit might actually negatively affect the chip's performance in some ways.

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Also means you can emulate high intensity 3D games/emulators without lag.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #10 JBRUU, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #11 Gov, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    We shall soon see, as I've got something lined up soon. I'll be testing Killer Instinct arcade with mame4ios on someones iPhone 5S. I'll report back... And record the improvement. Just so y'all know. Ki runs worse on an S4 & a LG Optimus pro G & LG G2... & Note 2, Than on my iPhone 5.

12. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I'm sure Apple will have some plan for allowing developers to use 64bit without alienating the 32 bit devices. Whether this is actually having separate versions of the apps or (probably more likely) a single version of the app hat contains both 64bit and 32bit code. That sounds wasteful, but as I understand it the bulk o the size of apps is in the sound and graphics which would be common between both versions.

All the same it's going to be a few months before we start seeing those advantages. It's more likely to really benefit the iPhone 6.

13. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Low level things lke assembly code can/will see a huge bump if done proper. But at the moment it won't mean much, but moving to 64bit is definitely a must. We can't stay on 3gb RAM for all eternity. I for one would love to have a 8gb ram iPad right now, and be friggin done about constantly worrying about iOS shitty RAM handling while working on an iPad.

14. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    #14 PureRumble, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    I can't for the love of God understand why people are so hooked up on the size of ram memory when trying to assess the benefits of 64 bit processors.

A processor being 64 bit means mainly two things; first the instructions that it executes read and write to 64 bit variables instead of 32 bits. Second, it reads from and writes to its main memory (the ram memory) in pieces of 64 bit values instead of 32 bits, since the bus between the processor and the memory has a width of 64 bits instead of 32.

This enables the processor to read data from its memory faster, process it faster and then write back to the memory faster.

As an example consider reading a small file from the main memory, inverting every bit it contains (making 1s to 0s and vise verse) and then simply writing back the result to the memory.

Now suppose the file is 6400 bits large. A 32 bit processor would have to execute a total of 200 memory read operations, 200 inversion instructions and also 200 memory write operations. But each of these numbers would be halved by using a 64-bit processor.

More practical examples of how things can be done faster include the automatic verification performed on large apps/updates downloaded from the app store; encrypting photos for transmission to your online backup service or decrypting then once you have downloaded them; applying a bunch of filters on the large number of your photos to make them to look cooler; video editing.

And a lot of times these benefits come automatically without the need of the developer to do something in particular, because the compilers that the developers use these days are smart and know when to use the 64-bit capability of the processor.

15. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    Because its faster.

16. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Probably because it'll allow iDevices to use...more RAM. Tada!

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Surely the best result of this happening is for the next few iterations of ios devices rather than the current. There is always a catch up period and when you add the new abilities of ios 7 plus the external controller options the future is very bright indeed.

18. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    It will be good for video editing apps and image processing but not really for games.

19. tzuptzop

tzuptzop Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2013
    soon i will buy the new i5S and i will test it all day to see if are that many diffrences comparing to iphone 5