Universal Legion of the Damned - hex based strategy (universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by offworldgames, Dec 15, 2011.

1. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Glad I listened to Albie. This is a top TBS game. Very good story and so far a nicely arranged campaign. There is a ton of attention to little details that I wouldn't have expected, and in fact many devs never get around to adding (perfect auto resume, for example). UI functions flawlessly, and online multiplayer, though I would like to see more options for turn-limit and base numbers, as well as total numbers of units, etc., has tons of options already that are tuned specifically to make the game fun and playable. Also includes an in-game chat. Very fun, and the 8-turn limit is good for matches with strangers because it doesn't require too great an investment.

Would love to maybe eventually see stats included (w-l for each game with a different # of teams), and larger maps, if the turn limit becomes adjustable. Maybe would be cool to see added variables with different types of terrain. Still, with upcoming RD support and universal build, this will be a must-buy for all TBS fans even if nothing else is changed.

I would love to know what adamphetamine knows, frankly, so I can better convince all my TBS-playing friends to buy this right now. ;) :D

2. matthjes

matthjes Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Stuck on...tutorial

Really good game, hope you guys release a universal update soon (playing it on my iPad2).
    But I'm stuck at the third tutorial mission...are there any ways to make the mines visible by scouting? Currently its like trial and error and remembering where the mines are...not very "tactical", I thought it would be possible to sweep the area and at least show the mines for one turn. I'm still not able to finish this in only three turns. I got one soldier to the flag, but then he was grayed out and I wasn't able to capture the flag...any hints here?

3. offworldgames

offworldgames Well-Known Member

@matthjes: Enemy mines aren't visible, but your RAV (Robotic All Terrain Vehicle) has the Minesweeping ability which lets it disarm any mined hex it enters. In that tutorial, you should lead the way with your RAVs before following up with your Legionnaires.

For the grayed out soldier, it sounds like you executed a standard move with no action. Next time, tap the hex once and then from there tap the adjacent flag to execute a Move + Capture.

4. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    I found a pretty serios flaw--the inability to invite friends to play a match. Would be really nice if there were a way to invite GC friends to a match...

5. offworldgames

@medianotzu: Player profiles and friend invites are planned updates :)

6. matthjes

matthjes Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Thanks for the hints, I was able to finish the tutorial missions :)

I'm stiil sometimes confused about the way attacks or abilities are used. I often forget to do this move-and-attack (or use ability) and want to attack or do something after I've moved. But this is just something you get used to, I think.

Is there any schedule for the universal update?

7. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    and from me a wb Albie !

nice to read such a well written review again.

8. offworldgames

#28 offworldgames, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    @matthjes: We implemented it this way so that players must decide on their actions before LOS (Line-of-sight) is updated. So you need to decide who to attack, spot, repair, etc. based on the information you have before your move.

However, this brings attention to the "Cautious Move" which is described in one of the tutorials. A Cautious Move is when your unit moves only 1 hex. By doing so that unit delays its action until LOS is updated. Very useful when scouting out new territory!

The universal update is in development and will be submitted in January. Development will be in progress even on Christmas Day :)

@Everyone: We've uploaded a new gameplay trailer! Check it out here:

9. Trocergian

Trocergian Active Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Dead in the water?

Whatever happened to the promised update for this game? Universal support, invite friends? The last word was it's going to be submitted in January and we're about to breach May.

10. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Been wondering about this myself. This game has massive potential but really needs to be a bit more fully-featured to compete with the best in genre.

11. offworldgames

Hey everyone, we recently posted announcements on Twitter and Facebook:

Twitter.com/OffworldGames

Facebook.com/OffworldGames

regarding the update. Our first internal beta was last weekend and we're hoping to submit very soon (less than 2 weeks).

Our original plan was to release the Universal update first so it wouldn't be a long break, but Apple added the new requirement for retina graphics for all updates which slowed us down some.

We really want to thank everyone for their patience -- once this first update goes live we're planning on putting one out each month.

12. offworldgames

#32 offworldgames, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Hey everyone, our reponse post is still awaiting moderator approval. Our first internal beta for this update went out last weekend so within 2 weeks we'll finally be submitting. It'll include retina and iPad support.

The original plan was to submit the iPad update on its own, so we wouldn't have a long break... but Apple's new retina graphics requirement set us back some unfortunately. After this update we'll get onto a monthly release schedule.

Check out our twitter or facebook for the latest announcements :)

13. offworldgames

Hey everyone, just letting you know that we submitted v1.1 which has retina display graphics :)

14. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Can't wait to see how you improve the multiplayer aspect of the game! Thanks for the soon-to-be-coming update!

15. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    This game is pretty cool from what little I've played. Really looking forward to universal so I could enjoy it in full glory on iPad. Right now I'll settle for better mp implementation. :)

16. offworldgames

Don't worry guys, we'll be on a regular schedule now that we have retina graphics and can submit updates :)

17. offworldgames

#37 offworldgames, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
    Hey everyone, v1.1 has been approved and should be live in the store any minute now!

This update includes retina graphics as well as an in-game hex inspector allowing you to see the Defense Bonus and Movement Cost for any hex simply by tapping it :)

The universal iPad update is hot on its heels too!

[​IMG]

18. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Just got the update, thanks. :) Looking forward to universal and better mp experience!

19. offworldgames

Hey everyone, v1.15 has been submitted to the App Store! This update will include universal support for iPad :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    This pleases me.

This pleases me greatly.

Legion is my favorite TBS game on iOS due to the random map generator; a long overlooked feature in most games of this type.