Update when we already have the game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fil2, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    Silly question: when we already have a game and that an update is available and that we install it, are there any issues with the saved scores and progressions?
    And when an update is available, does the AppStore icon always lets us know like it did some weeks ago with the update of iBooks?

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The save and high score thing varies from application to application. Most apps dont have problems keeping your save data, but occasionally there is an app that does. You'll just have to check reviews or update information/descriptions.

Usually your device doesn't check for updates unless you open the Appstore application itself. It's not an automatic thing otherwise.

3. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    It depends from the game! Some games, with a new update, save data, other ones not

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeh as stated it depends on the App.

Some save data is saved to OF, GC and Servers for instance Gameloft and EA save there game data for users on servers. Chillingo i think do the same with Crystal. But some game don't have servers or the tech that these big devs do so they struggle to update some things without losing game data.

5. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    Thanks for the infos everyboby.

6. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Yeah I remember when a dungeon defenders update erased everyones saved data, they were rightfully upset.

7. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    The App update mechanism on the device only overwrites the app data - not any app documents or preferences. if save data is lost, it is most likely because the developers messed up, by updating their save game file format without writing some kind of converter (or their converter is buggy).

8. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    When we synchronize files between the iPad and the computer, iTunes do a backup.I see at the top of iTunes that it saves the new apps that I have installed but does it saves the datas of the apps as well?

I haven't used the Game Center yet.Do I have to use it to save my scores and progessions like a backup?

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, save data is stored in the backup that iTunes does when you sync. You can't access each one seperately though, if you want the data back you'll have to restore everything on the backup.