Scrabble for iPad is broken and EA does not care

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dammskog, Dec 18, 2010.

1. dammskog

dammskog Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Do NOT buy this game.

Whenever I and others try to start the game it crashes. When we try to go to the game in multibar it reverts back to ipad home screen as well. As far as I have read on the itunes store reviews on the app page this game has been broken since at least the beginning of december and some users even claim EA is ignoring and deleting their support tickets.

Any representative from EA Mobile that wishes to respond to this?

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    try re installing it or restart your ipad

3. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I bought it yesterday and haven't had any issues. I agree with the above poster--uninstall and reinstall, and reboot your iPad. Hope it works for you...

4. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Had my version since I got iPad, never given me a problem and still works fine...

Usually if an app fails, it's worth trying the reinstall as often mentioned, also try a hard reset by holding power and sleep until it resets.

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    They did the same for a long time on need for speed shift the UK app store was actually full of reviews saying it was broken for months only recently did they fix it and that was to place adverts. The reviews were so bad I didn't even buy at 59p. I suspect a lot of their other games probably have unaddressed issues as well.

Big companys seem to care the least about support/bugfixing and EA sseems the worst of the lot in this regard although you can also say the same about gameloft and I still like their games mostly.

That being said I have scrabble on my device and never had a problem.

6. dammskog

dammskog Member

Dec 18, 2010
    I have done both and neither of them makes Scrabble work. Still resets back to home screen. And others have tried those solutions as well and it does not work for them either.

Swedish 16G 3G ipad.

7. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I have had it since I got my iPad back in April.

I play it all the time with no issues.

I would do the same as the above posts

8. dammskog

dammskog Member

Dec 18, 2010
    maybe you should read my post just above yours.....

9. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    I've never had a problem with it either

10. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    It is true, Scrabble for IPad is broken when language is not set to English. The app crashes on Finnish version of iOS right at the start. Changing the iPad language to English it works.

I have made a bug report on iTunes store and given Scrabble one-star rating until they fix the issue.

11. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I believe what you're seeing is a low memory condition, if you are running iOS 4.2.1. You may have too many apps open in the background, which eats up memory, even though they're not really running. Normally, when the iPad needs more memory, it will shutdown one of those background apps to get more. But, if Scrabble is using any cached graphics that they aren't retaining, the iPad will kill those first, causing it to crash. A reboot will not clear the memory, since the apps are still in the task list on reboot. So, try closing apps in the task list, then reboot, and try Scrabble again.

12. dammskog

dammskog Member

Dec 18, 2010
    I have done this as well. does not work.

I believe the finn might be correct. It is really bad by EA to market a game in stores where the standard iOS language is not English even when they know it will not work. And how the hell is Apple letting this slip through?

13. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Sorry to hear that didn't work. I think it's probably a safe bet that Apple does not test alternate languages when reviewing apps.

14. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I'd love scrabble on the iPad, but not one that doesn't include all the words in the scrabble dictionary :( so even if they fix the crash bug it will still be broken, imo.

15. dammskog

dammskog Member

Dec 18, 2010
    I have now reported this app to Apple.

I have
    1. Demanded a refund. And yes I do have a right to a refund if the app is not fixed since it is a defective product. Especially since EA/Apple must have been aware of the issues and yet have marketed the product in app stores where it did not work. Swedish/EU consumer law is in jurisdiction here (EA Nederlands BV), not US law.
    2. Demanded that they remove the app from the itunes app store until the issue with it not working on non-english-ipads is fixed.

16. soessoes

soessoes New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    scrabble

dammskog,

i have exactly the same problems as you. And have exactly the same thoughts about the actions you took. if EA and apple cant guarantee that the apps work, they should pay it back and get it out of the apple store.
    please let me know what their reactions are

regards

17. dammskog

dammskog Member

Dec 18, 2010
    #17 dammskog, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    i got a refund, BUT they said it was a one-time thing only and reiterated that Apple has a final sale policy.

The thing is that I believe that the final sale policy is only applicable if the customer bought a product and then later realized they did not want that product or was not fully satisfied with it. I do NOT believe that such a policy is applicable on DEFECTIVE products regardless if it is software or hardware. Especially in such a restricted and tightly controlled environment that iOS is.