Highest price you'll comfortably pay for game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bochu, Oct 24, 2009.

?

What's the highest you'll COMFORTABLY pay for a game?

1. Free! No one's getting my money!

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. $.99. Nothing like something off the app Value Menu

14 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. $1.99.

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. $2.99

20 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. $3.99

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. $4.99

20 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. $5.99 and above. I'm a baller!

100 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Hi, I'm just curious what's the highest price you'll comfortably pay for a game. I used to have a hard time paying more than $1, but after buying a $50 iTunes card for $40, I've been more charitable. I think $2.99 is where it caps and I seriously consider whether the game is something I really really want.

Maybe some of you will pay $5 and not even think twice. Maybe some go for only the freebies. I'm just curious. Please vote.

I bought the Quest for full price and think it was worth it. Same thing for DDR. I will generally fork out 99 cents and be glad as long as the game interested me for at least 20 minutes.

Thanks for voting!

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Depends on the game, but I'd be willing to go as high as a DS or PSP game. Even though it should be cheaper because of manufacturing costs as such, I'd still pay full price for say....The World Ends With You.

3. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Hey, you replied before my poll even got up! Nice.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I don't really think you need to be a "baller" to afford a $6 video game. ;)

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Voted :)

But yeah I'd comfortably pay full price for TWEWY. Wouldn't even think about it. Of course that's one of my favorite games of all time.

Now for your everyday, but still quality game, similar to Soosiz or Meteor Blitz I'd comfortably pay 4.99, or even 5.99.

6. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Oh man, I must be a cheapo. I should've gone up to $15-$20 on the poll range! I mean, I'm waiting for Dungeon Hunter to go below $5.99 so I can buy it.

Then again, I'm a student working almost full-time and having to afford rent and school and food and all. And a cat.

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    I'm working full time supporting my family. So if TWEWY ever came out that would probably be my only purchase for that month(or two) lol.

8. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I usually only buy .99 games. Its not that more expensive games arent worth the $$ its just there are so many brilliant .99 games on the app store which provide just as much entertainment as the higher-priced games.

9. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Depends completely on the game. Wont pay even 99cents for those crap load of games. Never thought twice before buying games like Doom Resurrection, Rolando 2, Real Racing, NFSU, Modern Combat, Blades of Fury and lots more at their full price of 6.99 - 9.99

10. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I'd pay 50 bucks or more for a quality game. I'd have to be damn sure it was a quality game, though. It would need a lot of content, incredible production values, loaded with features.

11. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    What can I say? I'm a baller.

12. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Same here, if SE ever decided to port TWEWY (Or FFIV-2!!!!), I'd pay the full $40 without a second thought.

13. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    I'd pay around 15 quid for a quality game. This is considering it has no case, no instruction booklet, no physical disk or cartridge, low cost to start developing for the iPhone/iPod touch, quick and easy to publish.

14. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    you know whats weird? I feel more comfortable buying a $0.99 and $4.99 as opposed to anything in between ($1.99-3.99). weird.

15. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    For some reason, I'm only comfortable paying around a buck or so for the AppStore while I'm comfortable playing $30+ for a regular console/handheld game.

16. Nightstalker

Nightstalker Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Why so curious?
    I chose $4.99 but I wouldn't mind paying up to $9.99 for good games like Tiger Woods, Real Racing, NFSU to name a few. But $10 is my maximum limit.

I've never owned a console or hand held gaming device; iPod Touch is my first gaming device (if we can call it that). So paying $40-$50 for one game, no matter how good, is a completely foreign concept to me.

17. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    i voted for 6 and above.

free! No one's getting my money! (lol someone actually voted for this:p

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I put $4.99. Don't get me wrong, if a games company releases a full fledged title with the same amount of quality and depth of games on other handheld games consoles then yes, they'll be worth the full asking price $20, 30, 40... whatever. However I won't be buying them simply because that's not the sort of game I want to play on my iPod... I have other devices for games like that, so when I sit back and browse the App Store for cheap games, it's not because I'm being cheap, it's because those are the games I enjoy most on the iPod/Phone.

19. Robert Gentel

Robert Gentel Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    I would pay up to $50 for the right game (deep playability). The app store prices make for shorter games. For example, Civilization on the iPhone is a great game, but it's not anywhere near as deep as Civilization on the desktop is. If it were I'd happily pay $30+ for it.

FIFA 10 on the iPhone is a great phone game, but the manager mode is nothing like a real football manager. If it were, I'd happily pay $30+ for it.

$0.99 games are nice and cheap, but are often not worth playing for more than a day or two. I want real gaming experiences on the iphone and I'm willing to pay for it.

20. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    #20 Bochu, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks everybody for voting and replying! I wish I put a $15-20, then $20 and up range.

I agree that I would pay $20-$25 for a DS-quality Final Fantasy game and definitely if Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship came out (I love card games). Would it make sense for the developers to do that since there's no hardware, packaging, and distribution involved and there seems to be a large number of iPhone and iTouch devices out there? I hope it's profitable for them at that level because I'd love to have some really high quality games come out. Then it's a win-win situation.

I also don't think it would hurt small developers too much since they're filling a niche themselves with the .99 - 5.99 range, right?

Ah, Final Fantasy Tactics on the iTouch....droooool...