WordHue - a colorful word puzzle game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by beardysoftware, Jun 23, 2015.

1. beardysoftware

beardysoftware Active Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Hello, this is Beardy Software, and I'm working on a new color-filled word game called WordHue.

Taking inspiration from classic word games, WordHue adds a colorful new twist. Play in either timed or turns mode, with daily puzzles and color schemes to unlock!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Every time you create a word, it's color changes, and the letter values increase. Shorter words create black tiles, that cannot be used for a few turns, while longer words create special double and triple word tiles.

Currently looking for beta testers ... if you like word games, let me know and I can send you a beta invite.

For iphone4, 5, 5s, 6, 6+ and iPads.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    You know, this looks kinda cool. Makes me think of a periodic table, which is weirdly exciting.

What are the mechanics like, how does it work? You say "create a word", but is it like a word find? Can you use letters that aren't adjacent?

3. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    Yeah, at it's heart it is a basic boggle word find kind of game. At the base of the play field is a color meter (you can see it in the screenshots ... a number of small empty squares). These squares represent how many tiles you need to turn that color in order to advance to the next level. Once you do that, you are granted more turns (or time) to try to match the colors of the next color meter. It goes on like that until you run out of turns or time.

If you re-use a letter enough times, it will turn into a rainbow tile, worth 10x normal letter value. Rainbow tiles grant access to the bonus round... the more you make, the longer your bonus round lasts.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
  5. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    Great, I'll send you an invite.

Just a reminder though... Don't sign into game center when prompted. Real gamecenter ids will cause the game to crash.

6. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Actually, it didn't prompt it, at least that I noticed...will you add an option to pause to a menu or go back to the main menu mid-game in the final build?

So far it's running smoothly, I am looking forward to unlocking more themes.

Thanks for the invite!

7. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    yeah, it probably should have a pause menu, thanks for the suggestion!

8. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    You're welcome. This is a great word game.
    Would you consider changing the icon?

9. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    yeah, I'm certainly not married to the icon. What did you have in mind? I guess I was just trying to avoid the standing "word tile with a letter" for an icon.

10. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I hear you there. Though in your case maybe a W with a little H next to it wouldn't be horrible. Or, you know how you have the colored stripes going across the top of the screen? Take one of the color themes and make an icon-length version of that- I don't know how else to explain it.

11. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    Btw, do you prefer the timed, or turns version of the game?

12. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I am really glad you have a zen mode because I usually don't like when I feel rushed. But it's nude ton have to timed mode as an option now and then

13. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    Initially, the timed mode was the default, but it was stressing my mom out too much, so I switched them. :)

She didn't even realize there was a different mode. that's one of my problems with the game, I think. It may be a little too complicated for "grandma". My mom has been beta testing for months, and I just had a conversation with her this weekend, and realized she didn't really understand the core of the game at all :(

14. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Hmm....I would say your tutorial was spot on.
    I would never get my mom to play a game like this, she only learned how to email not to long ago and she still doesn't understand entering web addresses into the browser bar :)
    Having the two modes to switch between is perfect.

15. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    I have a new beta, should be coming out today, with a new icon, and a pause button. Thanks for the suggestions!

If anyone else would like to take a look at the beta, let me know!

16. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Cool. You're welcome...I deleted the old version thinking I had to for an update but I realize now I didn't need to. With it gone, does the update appear in TestFlight or do I need a new invitation?

17. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    You don't need a new invitation. This beta build is taking longer than normal to get approved, I'm not sure why.

When it's available you will get a notification and be able to install it from testflight.

18. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    The new build is available now. I'm already getting complaints about the new icon, lol:
    [​IMG]
    (i'm planning on getting rid of that little "4" at least, I think it's probably not necessary)

The other new icon I worked on is this one:
    [​IMG]

19. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    #19 vectorarchitekt, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    I liked the new icon. A little H instead of a 4 would be good. But, ultimately if you like it, that's all that matters.
    The second one would be good too, what about if you chose one of the different color themes?

Also, sometimes I'm not sure why the game ends without one of those bonus rounds..is it because I didn't accumulate enough points or turn enough tiles?

20. beardysoftware

Jun 18, 2015
    Crud ... just realized my email got messed up during while setting up my server, so I missed the notification on this.

The bonus round length is determined by the number of rainbow tiles you create. If you didn't create 1, then you don't get the bonus round at all.

The game is pretty much done now, and once I get all the marketing stuff up to snuff it will be ready for release. Hopefully a week or 2!