Learning from failures and successes

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by readysetretro, Mar 13, 2013.

1. readysetretro

readysetretro Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    Just hoping some of you could share the background into why any of your games failed or succeeded.

Game sales much lower than you expected? What do you think could have been done differently to improve sales?

Game sales much higher than anticipated?
    What can you attribute this to, and attempt to recreate for another game?

Very broad topic, but ultimately this is just what I'm always hoping to gain from reading through the developers forums.

2. batgirl717111

batgirl717111 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    great tips, LinQsta, thanks for sharing!!

3. TheFootballPlaybook

TheFootballPlaybook Active Member

I am going through the release of my app right now...i just made a post here about what i plan to do t=182040http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182040

@LinQsta great post. looking into adding sharing on social networks as a result!
    my game has solutions to its puzzles so it would be cool for people to share their solution. if you have any comments on my plan they would be much appreciated.

4. Philipp_S

Philipp_S Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    game developer
    "Give the app a clear title and add some good keywords in the title to get some extra SEO, I.e. Bingo Dash - addictive and fun gambling game with chat features"

I think, you gave some great advice up there, but I'm not so sure about adding keyword-rich taglines to app names. They can quickly look spammy, and it looks like Apple has reduced the impact of app titles on app store placement anyway: http://de.slideshare.net/kolinko/new-rules-in-app-store-search

5. fpadillao

fpadillao Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Indie Game and Freelance Developer.
    Columbus, OH
    Great Tips @LinQsta. I think now days you need a long term plan, the success is not coming with just one app (you got to be a lucky genius) . You need an audience and many apps you can cross marketing each other and maybe one of them will be your bestseller.

6. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I thought apple had changed the policy on app names ranking higher in keywords as people started to post apps with massive names. I'm pretty sure this is not true now.

7. deemen

deemen Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    One good idea for testing your App Icon (since it is really critical), is to A/B test it on an ad network. Make two ads with the same copy but different icons and see which has a better click through rate.

8. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Feedback, thanks!

@LinQsta I'd like to also thank you for your detail reply back and your feedback - I do especially like your quote above, so true!