A Sad Day in Mobile Gaming: Llamasoft is Pulled

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CygnetSeven, Dec 18, 2015.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    All Llamasoft games have been pulled from the AppStore and from our purchase history. This is truly a dark day in gaming history and Jeff Minter's presence will be lost to future generations of iOS gamers. His quirky and imaginative games were always a source of glee to his loyal followers and an inspiration to other developers such as Butterscotch Shenanigans. What a pity, I hope this is just a temporary loss. Don't forget us Jeff.

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Damn you, Atari. Literally an over-the-hill conglomerate VS one bearded British guy who lives on a small farm with a llama. I wouldn't be surprised if that whole scene broke him, at least a little. Who wants their reward for a game they've been working on for years be getting to surround yourself with lawyers and be bled dry?

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #3 Guise, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Something similar happened a while back, if I remember rightly. Llamasoft's games disappeared from the AppStore and disappointed confusion/confused disappointment followed. I think the explanation was that the developer's license and registration had lapsed--I forget the amount but apparently developers need to pay a yearly fee to keep their games alive on the store. Mr. Minter then renewed said license and the games returned. Hopefully this is just the same type of deal. Long live Llamasoft!

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, they've been gone and come back before. It wasn't a slip-up or anything, that time. It's just that Minter is constantly balancing his distaste for the mobile audience (and not making enough money to even pay for that $100 yearly license) and his appreciation of his customers. At that time, the former won, but eventually the latter made him come back around. We'll see what happens this time, but I'd suggest keeping his games on your devices if you value them. They're quite small in terms of memory space and Minter has definitely washed his hands of iOS for the most part.

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I thought of that but if I remember right they were ever pulled from our history before. That's usually a bigger deal than just overdue licenses.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I was just looking for one of his games and then found this thread.

He made quite a few of his games free over the past year so I wasn't sure if that was his way of quitting. Just letting them go for free until his license ran out.

Were they iOS 9 compatible? If not, maybe he didn't want to bother to update them.

Sad if they never resurface.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Not paying the apple fee certainly shouldnt effect purchase history. By shouldn't, I mean it isn't a wise idea on Apple's part.

8. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Totally agree.

9. Deadpool6902

Deadpool6902 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Goat up was one of my favorites , which is still present in my old iPhone . Llamasoft was one of the best developers and it will never be forgotten.

10. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Thank god I have a backup of all Llamasoft games on my computer.
    But I will miss them, Jeff please come back to iOS! (with a new game?)

I don't understand how Apple handles this.
    If they would show more interest in gaming, they could offer a great library from Llamasoft & Co.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This is really too bad, Jeff made a number of fantastic games for iOS, and I hope he manages to get them re-released on another platform at some point.

I think he was just as disappointed as we are - he reported that he just couldn't keep going on iOS production due the the fact that he wasn't making any money on it. At some point he let the license lapse and I'm sure Apple just removed the apps a period of time after that. :(

12. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    No one does. Maybe not even Apple have a clue. It might hurt them on the long run.

13. Zamoofaboo

Zamoofaboo Active Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Isn't the annual license only $99? There must be a deeper story than a dev simply refusing to pay $99...?

14. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I'm assuming they were doing well? TBF, the vast majority of devs on the iOS AppStore are lucky just to break even on their annual dev fee

15. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    What a shame. I hope he knows how much his work has been appreciated.

16. SonicSloth

SonicSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
  17. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. Depressing that he didn't make money off such great games.

18. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Had the same argument over Darkin.