OUYA Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Donovan1209, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    #1 Donovan1209, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I bought my OUYA shortly after release. So far, it's kind of "janky" (quoted from Brad Nicholson). It's certainly not as polished as your PS3 or 360, and definitely won't be able to replace them. The up-sides to buying an OUYA are: emulation, modding/hacking it, and the occasional decent game. Side-loading Android apps isn't hard to do using the browser included with the OUYA. I've side-loaded apps like Netflix, Spotify, the Amazon Appstore, and some others. Most of these don't work very naturally, and require you to use the touchpad on the controller. Emulation works great up to the Nintendo 64, although I haven't tried anything on the PSX yet. Upcoming games like Soul Fjord leave me with hope that games won't suck in the foreseeable future. Phil Fish has said that FEZ will be coming to OUYA. So maybe in 6 months it will be worth a purchase. They have also mentioned OUYA will be re-iterated upon each year similarly to the iPhone.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Well, I just bought one yesterday on the Internet for $90 brand new unopened. Not sure it was a great purchase but hopefully it'll get better. I'll have fun with it for awhile regardless. I always have people eager to buy my 2nds in the wings. :D Gonna try the dual shock & see if I can get that to work with it. It could be a good deal, we'll see.

4. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I would have preferred if they allowed us to buy/upgrade the processor every year.. rather than release a new ouya every year as its been confirmed by the CEO.

5. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    There are like 5 OUYA threads currently.
    Can mods merge them into one ?

6. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, it would be nice to allow us to upgrade our OUYAs, but, it still is only $99.

Yeah, I searched for OUYA threads and didn't find a collective one for OUYA discussion, so I made one myself.

7. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    It's outselling the Xbox One in Canada lol

8. You guys can have mine. I'm sure it's rotting away in the furthest corner of my apartment.

9. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
  10. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
  11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    It might only be $99, but would be cheaper in the long run for people who are wanting to upgrade there Ouya's every year, to take advantage of better performance of newer games.

I suppose this wouldn't bother the people who are strictly using there ouya for emulation purposes only.

12. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Think of it like iPhones, you don't have to update every generation, it isn't as though your machine is totally obsolete after the first year, maybe after 2-3 generations, yeah, you should consider buying another OUYA.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The emulators are cool. I'd play my N64 games on an OUYA and stay legal-ish (only download roms of carts I own). But then that's not really all that exciting since I have an N64 to play my N64 games on. I know that if you're into the piracy bit it's a lot more exciting, but I'm not any more. Unfortunately I'm wondering if the emulators are going to turn the OUYA into an emulator console. There will be no room for original games - who's going to pay for anything if they can play shitloads of games for free? So you might be left with just lazy ports of Android games.

Of course I would love to see things turn out differently. In any case I'm waiting it out to see what happens.

14. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I also have been mostly using it as an emulation-box. But yes, I would like to see something that is OUYA's "killer app" or something to prove my purchase, because honestly I could just play emulators on my PC.

15. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Well believe it or not, the first Ouya's hardware is already outdated. The next one is already maybe in the works. Plus the Ouya should be seen as a console not a smartphone. I can just buy a 3rd party game-pad, and I have a fully functional handheld portable console with more power than the current Ouya.

I personally just think its great at what it does. But I don't like the approach of releasing a new one very single YEAR. Like I said before, upgrading internals would be perfect.. Just like PC parts.

16. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    This! Agreed!

17. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Picked up one of these and I really like it. I haven't purchased anything yet but I have played a number of quality games.

18. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Does your controller seem unresponsive? Not digging that! Maybe the dual shock will fix that or the next generation of Ouya controller will. Does anyone have a list of the best games and a list of the upcoming best games? I'd like to see what to look forward to.